By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you reckon the PS5 will be boring?

Ljink96 said:
Lawlight said:

Where does this idea that Sony only offers a single type of gaming coming from? Have people forgotten PS VR already?

Sony didn't invent VR to the extent we have it today...or have it out the gate. It's an addon, an addon that's still very niche. In terms of entertainment or types of gaming, VR really hasn't caught on yet. Sure PSVR is over the 1M mark but even Virtual Boy sold 770k when everything was said and done and it had absolute shit games. The meat and potatoes of Sony has ben its core predictable experience. And there's nothing wrong with that, it works. PSVR is just not what people think it is. It's great tech, it deserves more than it gets but very few and far between concur.

Look Nintendo is copying sony too, or vive rather.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15794014/mario-kart-arcade-cp-vr-bandai-namco-tokyo-arcade-htc-vive

Doing it the right way, get people interested in Arcades, then they'll want it at home.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

the only question is if they will be scared off of VR for two reasons

1.  Not every game, especially 3rd parties, will use it

2. Kinect jacking up the price of X1 and hurting them may make Sony hesistant to include it with every system

I think they'll offer a base model $400 and then a VR model for significantly more.

Yes, very likely. Prices of headsets will come down, yet not enough to bundle them as the only option. Could be $399 base model, $599 VR bundle, $299 standalone headset with 2 games.

Every concole platform has games that are unique to it... i don't really understand this tendency nintendo fans have to imply that nintendo is the only company that releases unique games...

Ljink96 said:
Lawlight said:

Where does this idea that Sony only offers a single type of gaming coming from? Have people forgotten PS VR already?

Sony didn't invent VR to the extent we have it today...or have it out the gate. It's an addon, an addon that's still very niche. In terms of entertainment or types of gaming, VR really hasn't caught on yet. Sure PSVR is over the 1M mark but even Virtual Boy sold 770k when everything was said and done and it had absolute shit games. The meat and potatoes of Sony has ben its core predictable experience. And there's nothing wrong with that, it works. PSVR is just not what people think it is. It's great tech, it deserves more than it gets but very few and far between concur.

Like mario kart, smash bros, zelda etc etc etc with nintendo?

SvennoJ said:
Ljink96 said:

Look Nintendo is copying sony too, or vive rather.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15794014/mario-kart-arcade-cp-vr-bandai-namco-tokyo-arcade-htc-vive

Doing it the right way, get people interested in Arcades, then they'll want it at home.

Lol, this is indeed Bandai using Nintendo property...don't think it's the same thing but whatever floats your boat. It isn't being developed by Nintendo. I didn't necessarily say there's anything wrong with using technology that exists but don't say it's innovative if it's just the same exact tech used before it. I mean, companies have come at Nintendo's throat in regards to new technologies but they almost always win the lawsuits. Their tech is almost always original or if it isn't it's innovative and that's why I support them. Yeah, there are hiccups like Gamecube where it's literally the most bland console Nintendo has created but other than that most of their other consoles innovated in other ways besides just adding raw power. When Nintendo itself is ready to try VR again, we'll know.

Around the Network

As boring as their e3 press conference.

o_O.Q said:
Ljink96 said:

Jesus christ dude, I didn't mention software. I mentioned hardware. But while we're at it let's go down the line of their First Party which puts other first party studios to shame:

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Zelda, Smash Bros. Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Pikmon, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, F-Zero, Splatoon, Arms, etc. etc. Name a 1st party with that many IP and then we can talk software, but I digress.

Don't take offense so fast without reading the rest of the post. I said there's nothing wrong with that [hardware predictability] because it works and people naturally like predictability. You know what to expect, that's comfortable and I get that. But to me, I always crave new experiences in hardware which is why I also have affinity for Nintendo.

Ljink96 said:
Lawlight said:

They did not invent VR but they are the only console with VR capabilities and it is a different way of gaming so your point about Sony not deviating from the usual is incorrect. PS VR cost $400. It will sell more than the 770k of the Virtual Boy which was a new system in itself.

PS VR and PlayLink are probably the 2 freshest gaming ways we've seen in the past couple of years. They tried the TV out option with the PSP but that is not something unique really.

The console will be boring, the games... Probably not

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ljink96 said:
o_O.Q said:

Jesus christ dude, I didn't mention software. I mentioned hardware. But while we're at it let's go down the line of their First Party which puts other first party studios to shame:

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Zelda, Smash Bros. Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Pikmon, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, F-Zero, Splatoon, Arms, etc. etc. Name a 1st party with that many IP and then we can talk software, but I digress.

Don't take offense so fast without reading the rest of the post. I said there's nothing wrong with that [hardware predictability] because it works and people naturally like predictability. You know what to expect, that's comfortable and I get that. But to me, I always crave new experiences in hardware which is why I also have affinity for Nintendo.

I don't think that first party line-up puts Sony's to shame at all - quite the reverse, IMO. Plus, I always like getting new IPs, even if they don't always work. But I like your challenge - name a 1st party with that many IPs:

Let's see:

Uncharted

The Last of Us

Gran Turismo

God of War

Ratchet and Clank

Sly Cooper

Jak and Daxter

Killzone

Resistance

InFamous

Horizon: Zero Dawn

LittleBigPlanet

Bloodborne

Heavy Rain

Shadow of the Colossus

Wipeout

Motorstorm

Knack

I'm sure I can think of a dozen more. And notice how they're not different games with the same character.