Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Kart 9 won't release until a decade or more after MK8

Switch 2/successor/whatever launch title would make sense.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

3 years later, and I'm feeling better about this prediction than ever. I'd say MK9 is 90% likely to be a Switch successor launch title at this point, there's just no reason at all for Nintendo to waste time and money resources making it for Switch when MK8D is going to sell big for the rest of Switch's life. It will likely be 2023 or 2024 for Switch 2's launch, so roughly a decade after MK8 originally came out in 2014. In the meantime, I think Nintendo would be wise to reboot F Zero for release before the end of 2021. It would give the Switch a big first party racing title that isn't just a port and help fill the long MK gap. Would also be nice if Nintendo decided to give us a couple new cups worth of courses dlc in MK8D to hold people over.

I feel that Nintendo should make diddy kong racing that way they have a new kart racer to satiate gamers and it gives them a stepping stone toward the design  direction  they might take with MK9.

I've been waiting for a new Diddy Kong Racing for over 20 years. IMO it was a much better game than Mario Kart 64. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I still think Diddy Kong Racing is what Retro was working on all those years before they took over MP4 and either they just couldn’t get it right or Nintendo was dissatisfied with it for some reason. For that reason, I don’t expect a Diddy Kong racing game to happen now. And also, it’s a very obscure character to try to name sell a Kart racer to the masses on when you think about it.

They could probably just port MK8 to Switch successor and it will sell just fine.

HyrulianScrolls said:

3 years later, and I'm feeling better about this prediction than ever. I'd say MK9 is 90% likely to be a Switch successor launch title at this point, there's just no reason at all for Nintendo to waste time and money resources making it for Switch when MK8D is going to sell big for the rest of Switch's life. It will likely be 2023 or 2024 for Switch 2's launch, so roughly a decade after MK8 originally came out in 2014. In the meantime, I think Nintendo would be wise to reboot F Zero for release before the end of 2021. It would give the Switch a big first party racing title that isn't just a port and help fill the long MK gap. Would also be nice if Nintendo decided to give us a couple new cups worth of courses dlc in MK8D to hold people over.

Having MK9 as a Launch title for Switch 2 will gurantee a successful launch month. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Classic Nintendo. Still waiting for Metroid Prime, Fzero, Starfox, and a proper Paper Mario rpg sequel. Any two of these and i would get a switch (light).

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

trunkswd said:
mjk45 said:

I feel that Nintendo should make diddy kong racing that way they have a new kart racer to satiate gamers and it gives them a stepping stone toward the design  direction  they might take with MK9.

I've been waiting for a new Diddy Kong Racing for over 20 years. IMO it was a much better game than Mario Kart 64. 

Yes Yes Yes Agreed.

trunkswd said:
mjk45 said:

Absolutely.  It was my favorite racing game until Mario Kart Wii.   At this point, I don't think we are ever going to see a sequel though.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Sorry. I have it coming out 9 years and 9 months after Mario Kart 8, early- to mid-March 2024 with the release of the Switch's successor.

People thinking Nintendo will repeat their past mistakes and wait until the Switch is dying before releasing a successor...

I think we will see MK9 2023 at the latest, Switch 2 will target fall 2022.