By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Kart 9 won't release until a decade or more after MK8

It makes sense if you think about it; sales are great for MK8:D and the near-decade long gap between releases will make MK9 an even bigger deal on top of it potentially being a launch title for the Switch's successor.

Around the Network

I was reading this thread like it was just made lol. I agree, MK9 isn’t coming out on switch

MK9 will most likely be cross platform with Switch 2. MK8 Deluxe is a hard one to follow up on, and given that most people missed it on WiiU, it could easily cover this generation of Switch.

If they did release it earlier, I expect it to be something more unique with different mechanics to make it stand out. Something like double-dash comes to mind.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I really hope that for the next Mario Kart they make a Mario Kart Adventure game. There's just so much that can be done by allowing us to take these Karts into open environments. Would be a cool way to introduce both exploration and great battle arenas into the game. You could find wheels and cars in hidden caves and by doing amazing jumps (hiding cars in plain sight at the apex of incredible jumps). Of course, the main aspect of the game would still be the races, but this would be a cool way to open up the game. It really bothers me that I'm seeing all of these cool levels and yet I can't go explore those regions.

If Switch 2 launches next year then we could be hearing about it next year with some exclusive features for the new Switch.

But I agree, there’s no need for it at the moment because people are still buying Switches to play Mario Kart 8. Not only is it the best Mario Kart game of all time, but the Switch is the best console for playing Mario Kart games ever due to the portable abilities and large groups of players that can easily join in.

Personally, I am wondering if Diddy Kong Racing is a potential?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Yeah, it wouldn't shock me if MK9 comes out until like 2024 (assuming the Switch 2 comes out around 2023). Anyway, I don't feel desperate for a new MK game because I haven't even played the current one :P (but I'll do when I buy a Switch)

If not a full decade, it's going to be close. No way they release one next year. Earliest would be 2021, if we get new Switch hardware with a hardware update. I could see them keeping quiet about it this far if that's their plan. We'd likely here about it at the 2021 E3 Direct if that's the case, for a holiday release. That would still make 7 years between mainline Mario Kart releases (aka not arcade or phone games), the longest stretch ever. If there is no hardware update to justify a new entry to take advantage of it, then we likely won't see Mario Kart 9 until the Switch's successor, which will probably come in 2024, a full decade after 8. That could end up being pretty epic, as Nintendo will probably get VR figured out for the Switch successor, and fully implement it into MK9.

Anyway, this is one of those predictions that takes into account data, niche, and business motivation for releasing MK9 on current gen Switch.

Considering Nintendo hasn't said anything recently, even if they did have MK9 in development, it's possible they shelved the project. This COULD have been what Retro was working on before, or at least developing some content for.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I cannot wait for the next Mario kart been playing the same maps since 2014... it’s starting to get old lol, would be nice if they at least add more DLC maps. That would be nice to the fans that supported them on Wii U lol

MK8D is like 16 million by now in 2 years so I think Nintendo will wait until it reaches MKWii's 30 million before considering a (useless) sequel