By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So whats with the disapointing E3 press conferences?

Has E3 been disapointing thus far?

Yes. 150 38.46%

No. 40 10.26%

Its been more than disapp... 28 7.18%

MS conference wasn't disappointing. 31 7.95%

Sony's conference wasn't disappointing. 62 15.90%

Bethesda's conference wasn't disappointing. 3 0.77%

Ubisoft's conference wasn't disappointing. 73 18.72%

EA's conference wasn't.... 3 0.77%

Total:390

My answer is no. And a very clear no. The only dissapointing conference so far for me has been Ms. Showed nothing. Bethesda did what I expected: keep milking the cow. EA showed what I wanted to see and Sony showed what I didnt know I wanted and now am hyped for. E3 is like that every year so its meeting expectations as far as im concerned.

Around the Network

I've sort of skipped out on most conferences this year, but looking at Ubisoft's conference, it was pretty good especially compared to past Ubisoft E3s

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

LuckyTrouble said:
starcraft said:

I don't understand this statement.

Microsoft showed a tonne of games, perhaps more than Sony, and more new exclusives.

There are plenty of reasons MS could wind up third, but that conference certainly wasn't demonstrably worse than Sony's, and I'd argue it was better.

The problem is, what AAA games did Microsoft actually announce? Forza 7, a hugely established IP that was basically guaranteed to be at E3? A trailer for Crackdown 3 that was met with mixed reception? A trailer reel of indie games, that, lets face it, most of us are going to forget about within the week anyways? Time spent on multiplats for no other reason than to say "LOOK GUYS XBOX ONE X PLS BUY IT"?

Sony's conference was undeniably stronger, even if it wasn't exactly The Hulk of E3 conferences. I can't see defending Microsoft anymore when they clearly are not invested in the games anymore. They care about hardware and game platform software. To be fair though, we all should have seen it coming a mile away when we look back at the original announcement for the Xbox One and see Microsoft's original vision for their media box. They wanted to make a console that was more of a straight up computer. The gaming community didn't welcome that though as so drastic a change, so it has been done more gradually instead. The days of Microsoft caring about procuring specific IPs and game development are long gone.

Well, it is deniably stronger, because here I am denying it

That logic cuts both ways. Sony didn't announce a single AAA game outside of Monster Hunter, which we now know is coming to Xbox. Indeed, the best version will be on Xbox. Again, Microsoft showed as many if not more games than Sony during this conference.

Does that change that, more generally, Sony are currently managing their console better? No. But in discussing these two keynotes specifically, your argument really struggles to stack up.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

pokoko said:
I'd rather know why video-game fans whine so much. It's really disappointing and makes me want to distance myself. If it's not childish entitlement because a game being shown might not be for them, then it's someone claiming that they can't enjoy game video because there aren't enough "surprises". I mean, yeah, I know that a lot of the people online are young enough to have a legitimate claim on being immature but I also tend to have higher expectations for this place than IGN or Youtube comments. At least until E3 comes around, anyway.

Definitely agree on the part about whining and higher expectations.

I won't lie, I definitely criticize, but I keep reality in check. Reminds me of when everyone said the Switch would be $249  and said it'd flop because it's 299 lol

Not sure what all the hate is about. What do people want? We got new IP, we got, sequals, we got new VR content, and we got an awesome piece of new hardware.

Gamers have become incredibly cynical. E3 conferences have changed over the last few years because of the demands of gamers. We don't get OS updates, network updates, new services, new non gaming software, and much more, because everyone only wanted games. Now we only get games, but that is still not good enough, because they have to be exclusives, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA exclusives at that. Not only do they have to be exlusive, they have to be new IP, but they also have to be sequels, they can't be VR,. but they have to bring something new.

I found something I am excited about at every one of these conferences. I am excited about Star Wars and A Way Out from EA. I am looking forward to Wolfenstein 2, Evil Within 2, and Doom VFR from the Bethesda conference. I want the XOX, Gears 4, Forza Horizan 3, and Sea of Thieves from Microsoft. From Ubisoft, I am very excited about Far Cry for the first time in ages, and Beyond Good and Evil 2. From Sony I want Bravo Team, The Inpatient, SkyrimVR, Moss, SOTC, Uncharted, GOW, GTS, HSG, Days Gone, Horizon Frozen Wilds, and Spiderman.

I am not sure there is anyway to please gamers anymore. I feel sad for anyone that could not find at least one game from each conference that made them happy. At the end of the day though, I am very happy, because I saw more games I wanted than I have the time or money to play. More importantly, I saw a considerable amount of VR content, and a huge push from Sony on the future of VR tech.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

This is probably a filler year for Sony, and Microsot and maybe Nintendo too. EAs shows are always bad so meh.

Very boring E3. Must be getting ready for next gen and companies are holding back for the upcoming consoles.

My expectations for these shows are generally pretty low, so no, I wouldn't say I'm disappointed.

Not expecting too much from Nintendo either, besides a ton of info about Mario.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

On the bright side, my wallet can take a break for once. The only games I'm looking forward to this year are Splatoon 2, Ni No Kuni II, Etrian Odyssey V, Shadow of Mordor, and Super Mario Odyssey.

Areym said:
pokoko said:
I'd rather know why video-game fans whine so much. It's really disappointing and makes me want to distance myself. If it's not childish entitlement because a game being shown might not be for them, then it's someone claiming that they can't enjoy game video because there aren't enough "surprises". I mean, yeah, I know that a lot of the people online are young enough to have a legitimate claim on being immature but I also tend to have higher expectations for this place than IGN or Youtube comments. At least until E3 comes around, anyway.

I feel where you're coming from, but as much as i love the game Sony has, it's all 2018 or no dates (days gone, detroit) and this is their second or third conferences. Sony and companies in general have got to stop announcing stuff soooo far in advance. It's really frustrating.

You know who does that, though?  Bethesda.  The company that people complain about because they don't show Elder Scrolls even though it's years away.  

These people care more about "surprises" than about games.  Actual fucking video-games can be shown back-to-back-to-back but it would all be drowned about by "waaahh this sucks there are no surprises this sucks i'm so disappointed."  For some dumb as hell reason, games that we know about don't count.  The reception would be worse if Sony did not show those games.