By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So whats with the disapointing E3 press conferences?

Has E3 been disapointing thus far?

Yes. 150 38.46%

No. 40 10.26%

Its been more than disapp... 28 7.18%

MS conference wasn't disappointing. 31 7.95%

Sony's conference wasn't disappointing. 62 15.90%

Bethesda's conference wasn't disappointing. 3 0.77%

Ubisoft's conference wasn't disappointing. 73 18.72%

EA's conference wasn't.... 3 0.77%

Total:390

I really don't know how Sony could make such a disappointing, charmless run... Full of games, and it was like watching trailers from movies, one after the other. At least SotC looks beautiful.

So now, it's all up to you Ninty! Gotta win this year!

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
3 games I am interested in so far:

1) Mario x Rabbids
2) Spiderfap
3) AoE

Overall... Yea could be better. Hopefully Nintendo won't disappoint

Isn't AoE Remake attached to Win 10 store though?.

Afaik I've been getting Win 10 store exclusive vibes, which puts me off wanting to buy the game.

PC E3 more or less sucked for me, everything either being early access or turn based games =/.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

We had two amazing years one after the other, so i guess it was a matter of time before we got something like this.

starcraft said:
LuckyTrouble said:

The problem is, what AAA games did Microsoft actually announce? Forza 7, a hugely established IP that was basically guaranteed to be at E3? A trailer for Crackdown 3 that was met with mixed reception? A trailer reel of indie games, that, lets face it, most of us are going to forget about within the week anyways? Time spent on multiplats for no other reason than to say "LOOK GUYS XBOX ONE X PLS BUY IT"?

Sony's conference was undeniably stronger, even if it wasn't exactly The Hulk of E3 conferences. I can't see defending Microsoft anymore when they clearly are not invested in the games anymore. They care about hardware and game platform software. To be fair though, we all should have seen it coming a mile away when we look back at the original announcement for the Xbox One and see Microsoft's original vision for their media box. They wanted to make a console that was more of a straight up computer. The gaming community didn't welcome that though as so drastic a change, so it has been done more gradually instead. The days of Microsoft caring about procuring specific IPs and game development are long gone.

Well, it is deniably stronger, because here I am denying it

That logic cuts both ways. Sony didn't announce a single AAA game outside of Monster Hunter, which we now know is coming to Xbox. Indeed, the best version will be on Xbox. Again, Microsoft showed as many if not more games than Sony during this conference.

Does that change that, more generally, Sony are currently managing their console better? No. But in discussing these two keynotes specifically, your argument really struggles to stack up.

Sony strengthened existing AAA's we knew little about. I won't defend their lack of overall new announcements, but I will praise the positive feedback generated by showing quality gameplay trailers for Spiderman, God of War, and Days Gone. I will praise firmly establishing what Detroit actually is after a relatively ambigious reveal last year. They gave focus to PSVR and announced new IP without making it look gimmicky and showing that PSVR isn't just a passing trend for them. They even managed to genuinely surprise with the SotC remaster/remake announcement. Along with a nice show pre-press conference, Sony focused on the games, gave us much needed details, snuck in a couple announcements, and avoided using indies as a time filling crutch.

Microsoft focused on a piece of hardware that is too ambitious at this time and is going to have a hard time selling at a $500 price point. They showed one new AAA that isn't a new IP. They got rights to first showing of Anthem and Metro Exodus, and that was neat at least until you realize they are multiplats and were likely paid for exclusively to push the Xbox One X. We got a trailer for a game that was announced longer ago than anything in the Sony conference to mixed reception, and we got an indie reel in a desperate push to prove they still had games coming, where individuals such as yourself mistake quantity for quality and strength of exclusive AAA or even AA content.

I can concede that the new exclusive announcements weren't strong on either side, but I simply can't agree that Microsoft somehow did better when Sony effectively filled an entire hour with almost nothing but trailers, making it all about the games with nothing feeling like a crutch to kill time and fill the hour.

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:
3 games I am interested in so far:

1) Mario x Rabbids
2) Spiderfap
3) AoE

Overall... Yea could be better. Hopefully Nintendo won't disappoint

Isn't AoE Remake attached to Win 10 store though?.

Afaik I've been getting Win 10 store exclusive vibes, which puts me off wanting to buy the game.

PC E3 more or less sucked for me, everything either being early access or turn based games =/.

Meh. If it ever comes to steam, I will double dip but until then, I need another RTS game other than starcraft!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Meh. If it ever comes to steam, I will double dip but until then, I need another RTS game other than starcraft!

Not into Planetary Annihilation, Deserts of Kharak, HW2 remaster?  

Or even Petroglphys 8-bit armies? (basically a callback to original C&C). 

As for me, I'll be waiting till it hits Steam, it's where all the other RTS games and AoE series are.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Not into Planetary Annihilation, Deserts of Kharak, HW2 remaster?  

Or even Petroglphys 8-bit armies? (basically a callback to original C&C). 

As for me, I'll be waiting till it hits Steam, it's where all the other RTS games and AoE series are.

Nostalgia is more addicting than any new rts T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Sony was pretty terrible to be honest not a single announcement of a new game and nothing releases in 2017 as usual. Greatness awaits till after the holidays.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Captain_Yuri said:

Nostalgia is more addicting than any new rts T_T

Dammit, Play AoE II and III then!.

monocle_layton said:
Ubisoft was very solid. Not sure what you're talking about. Sony wasn't going above and beyond, but it still felt like a 7/10 performance.

The issue I think is the way EA, Bethesda, Microsoft, and others made their e3. Besides the issues with what was in their presentation, they sometimes focused on irrelevant things

I think everyone should take Nintendo's new route. We saw in the April direct how efficient it is. Regarding what people thought of the content, the presentation was a 10/10. Fast, straight to the point, and gameplay is saved for the treehouse.

Well, besides the two times the dude came out and talked Sony's was basically just trailer after trailer after trailer.

I think though the thing that made it kind of 'meh' was the lenght of every trailer. Personally I fel they spent too much time on each game. I started to think "move onto the next game already" in regards to every game shown. 

Maybe Nintendo is onto something with the shorter time. We will see tomorrow. But I know I can and will see any of those trailer or gameplay segments ect from Sony during the week, so no need to showcase a demo on stage.  Also way too many CGI events. I feel like half the trailers I watched I have no idea what the actual gameplay looks like. Like take Mario/Rabbids game. If you only watched their trailer, you would not have a single clue what the game was really like.