By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Myth: Nintendo needs to have big surprises at E3 or they're doomed

Nintendo does what they want at E3 and gives zero fucks about outsider input. IMO the main focus they have this year is simply to push the immediate software the Switch has for 2017, so a lot of Splatoon, Mario Odyessy, Zelda DLC, ARMS DLC, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario x Rabbids talk.

When things are going well for Nintendo they usually clamp down on giving out too much info and focus more on just the immediate future. I'd be happy to be wrong on that, but I think its best to keep expectations low. "Pleasing the fanbase" is not neccessarily a high priority for Nintendo quite often (in terms of conferences/news events). 

Around the Network

I agree to an extent, but I don't like the mindset this encourages.

The Switch has surious issues that will become permanent if they aren't addressed this E3.

The only one that needs to have big surprises atm is MS

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

First I've heard of it...

I personally think for gamers sake they need ONE big announcement for something to look forward to 2018, but realistically is still is selling like hotcakes with really only 2 games pushing the system. At this point I'm not sure what can be done to slow the Switch down.

Around the Network

Nope, they're doomed if they don't reveal Animal Crossing!

Of course the Switch doesn't need it, but I certainly wouldn't mind.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Nope, they're doomed if they don't reveal Animal Crossing!

Im afraid that will be their big game...

Please dont be it.

They aren't doomed yet. As long as the Switch continues to sell like hotcakes the word 'Nintendo' and 'doomed' shouldn't be associated with each other. The games we know about for 2017 are solid and interesting looking games for the most part. While the system is easy to develop for per third party developers statements. It doesn't change the fact that the Switch has a lot less of a userbase due to supply shortages meaning less of a userbase to sell to for third parties. If by next E3 2018 when the userbase should be around 10m or so then maybe more third parties port the higher end games over as it shows a solid demand for the product. If it doesn't start ramping up by then, maybe one could start worrying.

Developers want to make the most revenue they can for each game they put out, and if the userbase isn't there yet then the extra work to port a multiplat game isn't worth the time to make a game run smoothly for the device's specs. Indie/smaller titles are easier due to less spec requirements required for most smaller games, but games that require high end visual/specs will need to find ways to make it run either through dropping the resolution of the game (ie: Snake Pass & Playgrounds) or other visual effects (lighting, particles, etc.)  in order to make it run at a respectable level.

They're not DOOMED if they have no surprises, but I'd still kinda like if if there WERE some surprises.