By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Myth: Nintendo needs to have big surprises at E3 or they're doomed

spemanig said:
I agree to an extent, but I don't like the mindset this encourages.

The Switch has surious issues that will become permanent if they aren't addressed this E3.

What are the issues and why must they be addressed at E3?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

So, Sony can reveal their console like, 10 months before release, show more during E3 and have a successful launch. But Nintendo doing something like that would hurt them?

Let's imagine for a second Nintendo revealed the console using Sony's method.
Do you know how E3 would have worked out? A repetition of the reveal because they only had that to show - and Nintendo's plans for this year pretty much show that.

I wouldn't call it a plan, i would call it lack of a better option.

Jumpin, you are also forgetting that after Wii U they have a lot to prove.
And although Switch has been a success... does anyone know exactly who's buying it? Honest question.
Does anyone have the data?

Switch is a success... for now.
If things were prety much garanteed you'd see companies announcing full support of the console. But you don't.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, GC was also selling very well at first (rush of 1st party games after launch) but Nintendo failed it keeping its momentum.

It is true, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should drop the ball with this year's E3 D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nintendo certainly wouldn't be doomed with a poor E3 showing this year, but a strong E3 showing would go a long way to convincing undecided Wii U owners why they need to pickup a Switch. Let's face it, BotW and refreshes of Mario Kart and Splatoon are not really giving Wii U owners a reason to upgrade. That said, a new 3D Metroid or a ported Final Fantasy title would provide an experience that cannot be found on the Wii U.

Jumpin said:
spemanig said:
I agree to an extent, but I don't like the mindset this encourages.

The Switch has surious issues that will become permanent if they aren't addressed this E3.

Their relationship with western third parties with regards to multiplats. The timing should be obvious. The window where they can convince 3rd parties that their games will sell on the Switch is closing, and Nintendo has done nothing to prove that they plan on cultivating that audience on the Switch. I gave them the benefit of the doubt in january because it was a japan-centric event. E3 is western-centric. They need exclusive IP that will appeal to western gamers specifically. That's how they get western devs on board. Not power - games. If they don't do it this E3, they lost their shot to prove anything, even if those games are coming.

And no matter how well the Switch ends up selling, not having those games will have a tremendous detrimental effect on those sales.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Im afraid that will be their big game...

Please dont be it.

How can you imply that this would be a bad thing?

spemanig said:
Jumpin said:

Their relationship with western third parties with regards to multiplats. The timing should be obvious. The window where they can convince 3rd parties that their games will sell on the Switch is closing, and Nintendo has done nothing to prove that they plan on cultivating that audience on the Switch. I gave them the benefit of the doubt in january because it was a japan-centric event. E3 is western-centric. They need exclusive IP that will appeal to western gamers specifically. That's how they get western devs on board. Not power - games. If they don't do it this E3, they lost their shot to prove anything, even if those games are coming.

And no matter how well the Switch ends up selling, not having those games will have a tremendous detrimental effect on those sales.

Well, we know we're getting Skyrim, NBA 2k18, Fifa, and stee

As the Switch gains traction, I think we'll see more games come

Einsam_Delphin said:
KLXVER said:

Im afraid that will be their big game...

Please dont be it.

How can you imply that this would be a bad thing?

Because I dont like Animal Crossing...

monocle_layton said:
spemanig said:

Well, we know we're getting Skyrim, NBA 2k18, Fifa, and stee

As the Switch gains traction, I think we'll see more games come

That doesn't really mean much to someon not interested in Switch. Those games aren't going to people who want the next bethesda game for example to buy a Switch, which is my point. No amount of gaining traction is going to make people who bought a switch for Mario and Zelda buy western 3rd party games on it. Exclusives of the same ilk will. And they need to prove that those gateway games will be there now or never.

They need to keep the momentum going, otherwise they'd be in a WiiU type situation all over again.