By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch has sold more in 3 months than Wii U did in any year.

Wyrdness said:
NS may be just under 5m by the end of June at this rate it might out sell one of its predecessors in its first 12 months.

It would be really great if Switch if outsell LT Wii U numbers in just one year, and Switch actually has good chances to that.

Around the Network

I will say that despite always defending the Wii U and loving owning one, having the Switch has made me realize some glaring flaws about it. I mean of course there's the whole issue of the gamepad really just seeming like a prototype idea for a hybrid console like the Switch actually is. But one of the things I really noticed when I was playing Wii U the other day was how big and clunky the gamepad really seemed after all the time I've been spending with the Switch. This really surprised me since I always thought I liked the gamepad, but after playing with what is simply superior hardware design of the Switch, I can see why some people had a lot of the complaints they did now about the gamepad.

Miyamotoo said:
Wyrdness said:
NS may be just under 5m by the end of June at this rate it might out sell one of its predecessors in its first 12 months.

It would be really great if Switch if outsell LT Wii U numbers in just one year, and Switch actually has good chances to that.

Honestly, I think the only thing that can stop it doing so is insufficient stock.

Never really considered bying the Wii U, Just not that good a proporsition for me, coming from a Wii. But would instantly buy some of the exclusive classics, if they were ported to the Switch somehow.

If Nintendo manages to keep up with demand, the Switch will outsell the WiiU lifetime sales in less han a year.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Funny how Lawlight now disappears after realizing his Switchdoomed posts were completely false

Well, he is currently banned: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/101481/lawlight/#content

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Honestly, I think the only thing that can stop it doing so is insufficient stock.

Even if that doesn't happen, IMO Switch will buy March 2018. in worst case sell around 10m, which is still pretty good number.

For reference:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=227213
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224679

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

irstupid said:
zorg1000 said:

some, but many people are still in denial thats its doing well

Get used to it. The Wii's entire lifetime people did the same. In the beginning they constantly said same as Switch. ARtificial supply constraint. It's not popular, not selling well, ect. 

And then throughout its lifetime it was considered a "fad"

People still today will vehemetely reject considering the Wii a successful console. 

If God forbid the Switch catches up or passes the PS4, people will just say its a handheld and thus doesn't count. If it doesn't, then people will say the PS4 is the better selling system. 

Why would anyone care whether a 9th generation console beats an 8th generation console head to head? Ridiculous. Let's wait and see what PS5 can do.

AlfredoTurkey said:
irstupid said:

Get used to it. The Wii's entire lifetime people did the same. In the beginning they constantly said same as Switch. ARtificial supply constraint. It's not popular, not selling well, ect. 

And then throughout its lifetime it was considered a "fad"

People still today will vehemetely reject considering the Wii a successful console. 

If God forbid the Switch catches up or passes the PS4, people will just say its a handheld and thus doesn't count. If it doesn't, then people will say the PS4 is the better selling system. 

Why would anyone care whether a 9th generation console beats an 8th generation console head to head? Ridiculous. Let's wait and see what PS5 can do.

Kind of proving my point here, even if you don't mean too. If the Switch beats the PS4, people will claim it's 9th gen and thus the PS4 won. If Switch is beating hte PS5, people will claim its an 8th gen console and the thus doesn't count.

naruball said:
LipeJJ said:

You nailed it... said everything.

Nah, I don't think people deny the PS4 is the king compared to Xbox One and Wii U (this gen). It would be foolish to think Xbox One would compete with it at this point, and Wii U is pretty much dead. I don't see how would anyone deny PS4 easily won/is winning 8th gen. .-.

Have you missed all the posts from certain fanbases going "the ps4 has only sold well because the other too done fucked up"?
People crying over others not giving credit where its due should take a look at their own posts or their fanbase's.

Well to be fair, the Xbox One's reveal was a complete disaster. The PS4 is a great system and did everything right, so it deserves it sales, but I have to imagine Xbox One might be closer if its reveal wasn't one of the worst ever. 

Well Wii U is a close second. Beyond the execution of a good concept. (Switch is an amazing execution of that concept) it also had a horrible reveal. Horrible name, horrible marketing, hell many peopel still think its just a Wii add on. 

As Obama said about ISIS, the PS4 was up against major JV leagues upon release. But again, not knacking (Knack, lol) PS4 here. Even with the Switch and One S, which are both great systems now, the PS4 is still a great system and doing well.