By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch has sold more in 3 months than Wii U did in any year.

naruball said:
LipeJJ said:

You nailed it... said everything.

Nah, I don't think people deny the PS4 is the king compared to Xbox One and Wii U (this gen). It would be foolish to think Xbox One would compete with it at this point, and Wii U is pretty much dead. I don't see how would anyone deny PS4 easily won/is winning 8th gen. .-.

Have you missed all the posts from certain fanbases going "the ps4 has only sold well because the other too done fucked up"?
People crying over others not giving credit where its due should take a look at their own posts or their fanbase's.

I mean, it's true.

No one is saying the PS4 isn't doing anything good- it is. Heck, almost everything is going fine for it. However, there's no doubting that the Wii U's miserable life and the cringey/infuriating first year of Xbox One basically set the way for ps4 to win by a ridiculous margin

Had XB1 not been garbage at the beginning, it would've been closer, I'd say something like 35-40:60, meaning something around a 2:3 ratio. Still would've been PS4's advantage, but it'd be similar to the Wii where other consoles still did well

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
DaveTheMinion13 said:
Hmm I swear Wii U sold 3 million in around. 45-60 days

nope, Wii U sold

1 million in 3 weeks

2 million in 1.5 months

3 million 7 months

4 million in 12 months

Switch sold

1 million in less than 1 week

2 million in less than 1 month

3 million in less than 2 months

4 million in less than 3 months

That is insane. When I bought the Wii U at launch I didn't really care about it's sales. Didn't know only quite a few people had it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

monocle_layton said:
naruball said:

Have you missed all the posts from certain fanbases going "the ps4 has only sold well because the other too done fucked up"?
People crying over others not giving credit where its due should take a look at their own posts or their fanbase's.

I mean, it's true.

No one is saying the PS4 isn't doing anything good- it is. Heck, almost everything is going fine for it. However, there's no doubting that the Wii U's miserable life and the cringey/infuriating first year of Xbox One basically set the way for ps4 to win by a ridiculous margin

Had XB1 not been garbage at the beginning, it would've been closer, I'd say something like 35-40:60, meaning something around a 2:3 ratio. Still would've been PS4's advantage, but it'd be similar to the Wii where other consoles still did well

It's no different then ps3 gen.  If Sony didn't fuck up they'd have won.  This gen if Microsoft and Nintendo didn't fuck up ps4 would have won by less. 

Ljink96 said:
I have no words... I only wish Iwata was here to see the fruits of his work.

This.  I personally believe Iwata gave his life to help get Nintendo back on track... no average person would put that kind of hard work and devotion just weeks before dying.  That is a big part of why his death was such a shock to us, we all thought that he was in decent health given that he was still producing Directs, etc...  

I said (with hope) two years ago after his death that Iwata's last gift to gamers might be the NX, and I do believe that his sacrifice won't be in vain.  Iwata might have been what prevents Nintendo from going the way of Sega (at least for another decade) and keeping a living piece of gaming history alive for a new generation of gamers to experience.  There may yet be another generation of kids who will get to grow up experiencing the joys of unboxing a game cartridge or playing a Mario game that doesn't involve a smartphone!

naruball said:
LipeJJ said:

You nailed it... said everything.

Nah, I don't think people deny the PS4 is the king compared to Xbox One and Wii U (this gen). It would be foolish to think Xbox One would compete with it at this point, and Wii U is pretty much dead. I don't see how would anyone deny PS4 easily won/is winning 8th gen. .-.

I haven't, but that's different than denying that PS4 easily won the gen. I mean, after all, Nintendo and Microsoft really screwed up, but that doesn't take the merits from Sony/PS in any way... I don't see the conection. 

Denying would be saying that XB1 or Wii U would outsell PS4, which some people said during the early days of the gen (1st year mostly), but that's pretty common because at that point things weren't 100% cristal clear. I think since 2015 everyone (at least 99%) accepted that PS4 would easily win the gen.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
monocle_layton said:

I mean, it's true.

It's no different then ps3 gen.  If Sony didn't fuck up they'd have won.  This gen if Microsoft and Nintendo didn't fuck up ps4 would have won by less. 

Their screwup resulted in their lowest selling console which still sold 80 million. Nowhere near as bad as this gen. Gen 7 had no flops. 80m from 360 and ps3, 100m from wii, 80 m from psp, and a whopping 150 from ds. Much different than this gen where 3ds obliterated the vita and ps4 stood as king

monocle_layton said:
Kerotan said:

Their screwup resulted in their lowest selling console which still sold 80 million. Nowhere near as bad as this gen. Gen 7 had no flops. 80m from 360 and ps3, 100m from wii, 80 m from psp, and a whopping 150 from ds. Much different than this gen where 3ds obliterated the vita and ps4 stood as king

I wouldn't call the PS3 a flop per se, but going from undisputed 1st place at over 75% market share with the PS2 to barely escaping third place with a 30% market share isn't exactly a success either.

curl-6 said:
monocle_layton said:

I wouldn't call the PS3 a flop per se, but going from undisputed 1st place at over 75% market share with the PS2 to barely escaping third place with a 30% market share isn't exactly a success either.

I know people tend to forget, but the problem with ps3 wasnt the sales, but actually sony losing money, wasnt it? 

Maynard_Tool said:
curl-6 said:

I know people tend to forget, but the problem with ps3 wasnt the sales, but actually sony losing money, wasnt it? 

Yeah, Sony haemorrhaged billions of dollars on the PS3.

This speaks more to how poorly the Wii U sold than how well the Switch is doing. It is far too early to make any serious judgement about the Switch's sales performance.