By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch has sold more in 3 months than Wii U did in any year.

Ljink96 said:
I have no words... I only wish Iwata was here to see the fruits of his work.

Yea, thats really sad when you think about it. I bet he got a lot of shit from shareholders about the Wii U's failure.

Around the Network
Mike321 said:
Really impressive, and pretty sad for the wii u .

as a wii U owner i know!!!! Dam nintendo!*pumps fist in air*. If they gave wii U owners a credit to a switch id get one. but as of right now. i got a strong pc/x1/wii u

and my next console is scorpio just cuz i want to feel the POWER!  i tried the weak console route before...x1 and wii u. now gotta go with something strong. SCORPIO.

saving the rupiees

DevilRising said:
To be perfectly fair, Wii U launched in November of 2012, and in less than two months, as in til the end of that YEAR, sold over 2 million units. In fact I remembered it being closer to 3 million. Meaning that it actually sold really well out of the gate, and had great third party support during that launch window. THEN the game releases screeched to a halt, and the system sales followed suit. And Nintendo never really recovered, both from their game droughts, or their poor marketing in North America.

Wii U did about 2.2 million in 2012 and took 7 months to reach 3 million and 12 months to reach 4 million which Switch has done in under 3 months.

Wii U sales came to a halt as soon as the holidays ended, by the 2nd week of January sales had already fallen to a baseline of 35k globally.

Nintendo shipped 3.09 million units of Wii U by the end of 2012 but only sold 2.2 million so close to 1 million units were on shelves at the time, so no it did not have a good launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NintendoPie said:
Not to downplay the Switch's success, but when a company is selling you garbage and then does a 180 and starts selling something worthwhile, it makes sense.

Yes thats point, Switch is good product.

DevilRising said:
To be perfectly fair, Wii U launched in November of 2012, and in less than two months, as in til the end of that YEAR, sold over 2 million units. In fact I remembered it being closer to 3 million. Meaning that it actually sold really well out of the gate, and had great third party support during that launch window. THEN the game releases screeched to a halt, and the system sales followed suit. And Nintendo never really recovered, both from their game droughts, or their poor marketing in North America. 

So yes, Switch is doing well right now, and hopefully will continue to do well. But Wii U DID also do well during it's launch window, which you could argue Switch is technically still within. There are many reasons for Wii U's failure, and one of the chief among them, is that during it's lifetime, it LACKED that one "MUST HAVE" type of game that every other Nintendo console always has. BotW could have certainly been that game, but sadly, it took them a long time to make, and once it was finally ready (2016), the Wii U was effectively dead, and they delayed it to be a Switch "launch title" instead. 

It still remains to be seen if Switch can keep it up. I, for one, have not been fully convinced that Nintendo has learned their lessons. The Switch may be the hot new item right now, but I also saw how they just recently handled their NES Mini debacle. Only time will tell if Nintendo has actually changed enough of their ways from the Wii U era, to continue Switch success over the long-term.

Wii U on launch in November and December shipped 3m consoles, but right after launch period and holiday season in January started to sell catastrophic, basically just in less than two months after launch Wii U started to sell catastrophic, thats why  in next 9 months they shipped only 900k consoles. Its wasnt point about games only, but point that only hardcore Nintendo fans bought Wii U on launch and in holiday season, and after that market didnt had interest at all in Wii U and Wii U didnt had any game after launch that could raise sales.

Switch is in totally different situation, it's already passed more than 3 months from launch (launch period is over) and Switch is still selling good, and actually Nintendo cant still keep up with demand, and now new system seller game are coming next month. Its very obvous that Nintendo learned much from Wii U mistakes, going from name, marketing, strong launch games and 1st year linuep, and point to keep momentum with good and strong games without big time space between them (Nintendo is relasing one stronger or bigger game evre month).

Switch is both a beauty and a beast

Around the Network

"Dead on arrival."

Funny how everyone's predictions for Nintendo hardware always seems to be a gen behind..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden