By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ARMS will have free DLC charcter, stages, and arms post launch

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

You think, but fact tells us different: ARMS is new Nintendo IP, its very fun and interesting game with focus on online play, its Nintendo take out on existing gener, it will have test demo, strong marketing, it will have future free updates for content, impressions of previews and people that actually played game are positive and all saying that game is very fun to play, we talking about new game of Mario Kart team. It's so obvious that even blind man could see why people are comparing this game with Splatoon and why this game could easily become quite popular and one of must have Switch games, even if doesn't hit Splatoon popularity.

You would be very aware of this facts if you are not very close minded about this game, I dont doubt you were very closed minded about Splatoon before launch also. Fact that you try to compare this game to Evolve and refusing to compare it to Splatoon, tells that you dont know what are you talking about.

Ok, lets compare it to Splatoon then. Splatoon was pretty much unfinished when it released, so they gave out free DLC throughout the year instead of delaying it. Is Arms unfinished as well then? Best wait until they finish it then?

You are so hyped about this game that you cant possibly see why someone dont think it will be anything but a smash hit and loved by everyone. I can see the similarities in the way Nintendo markets this game, but comparing it to Splatoon just makes it sound that it really wasnt much to Splatoon other than free DLC. Everyone says its great, so it must be great. No, not really. Every preview of Evolve made it sound like a game changer as well. Thats why I compare it to Arms. I didnt trust the hype from reviewers around Evolve and I dont with Arms either. It looks shallow as hell imo.

You can keep telling me that I dont know what Im talking about if it makes you feel better, but just because this is from Nintendo and made by the MK team doesnt mean its a guaranteed hit.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I honestly don't think ARMS has the same issues that Splatoon did. ARMS has way more consequential content at launch than Splatoon did. And this is coming from someone who still thinks that Splatoon has too many issues to be worth owning. One of the biggest issues with Splatoon at launch was the lack of content in every department, and how the came restricted (and still restricts) player freedom to supplement this.

Splatoon launched with only 5 stages and 2 modes, with essentially no local multiplayer option that was worthwhile to boot. There wasn't a lot of variety or content in the initial package, which was made worse by the restrictive time slots for stages. ARMS has none of those issues. 10 characters is only 2 less than the original 12 from Smash 64. I'm assuming it has 10 stages as well. It has an arcade mode, 4 player mode, 3 party modes, online, and a variety of weapons, which vastly eclipses Splatoon's content at launch.

ARMS is a far cry away from having Smash 4 levels of content, but it definitely at least has enough for the asking price, especially for a new franchise. I think that it's nice that they're adding new content later, but this isn't like Splatoon where they absolutely had to. And, to be frank, they easily could have gotten away with charging for that extra content MK8 style. Even Smash 4 style. Splatoon couldn't have.

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:
KLXVER said:

My point was that Evolve got alot of positive previews from reviewers and they tried to save it with free DLC. It had little content. Just like Arms. 10 fighters? Even Street Fighter 5 had 16 characters at launch ffs. Is that a good enough comparison for you or doesnt it count because Street Fighter has an F in its name and Arms doesnt?

Here's your overall problem and why absolutely no one should take you seriously at this point. You continue to remove vital facts from the equation to cheaply satisfy your point:

"Remember all the positivity around Evolve before release and how everyone that played it loved it?" =/= "My point was that Evolve got alot of positive previews from reviewers" 

However, let us say that was your point. That only hurts you more because you ignore the playerbase that played the beta(s) and had the complaints and fears about the game I previously stated. So much so that 2K, on several occasions, damaged controlled

This for example is one of their damage controls almost a month BEFORE launch. That comment section sure is "positive", no? https://www.gamespot.com/articles/evolve-dev-defends-dlc-concerns/1100-6424662/

That answers why Evolve needed free DLC to save it: Most of the content was locked behind microtransactions, P-A-I-D DLC and preorder bonuses. All of which I already addressed and you clearly carelessly ingored. Where is all this in ARMS?

Now the SFV comparison COULD have been a decent comparison, but you fall into the same shameless pit of removing information. SFV is literally the fifth entry of the franchise that is the paragon of fighting games. Comparing it to a new fighting game in terms of a roster is pretty bad, but fine let's say the roster size (which may be bigger if the final character is unlockable) is a problem and ignore the fact that each fighter has a minimum 465 combinations of weapons to choose from the affect gameplay. How many game modes did SFV launch with? One: Versus Mode. I don't even consider online or training to be real modes, but if I had to fine: 3 modes. That would make ARMS have at least 9 modes instead of 7 then. How much of the new characters were really free and didn't force you to grind out the for days on end to acquire them? How many stages actually are more than aesthetic differences? Answer to both is none. SFV didn't even launch with an arcade mode.

And for goodness sakes, please stop with the straw man.

"Is that a good enough comparison for you or doesnt it count because Street Fighter has an F in its name and Arms doesnt?"  <-- It is even more asinine than when you made the DURRRR 100% comparison (which you tried to cheaply make btw) because you insist on ignoring what I said: a bad comparison =/= incomparable. This is sad. This is not cute.  This is not in any shape or form clever. And this only further shows that you have no reasonable argument and just want to be defensive.

Well I choose different games to compare it with because thats pretty much all I can do at this point. I have to because people cant accept that I dont think it will be a smash hit. So I have to try and find examples. They are not perfect, but those are the games that came to mind at the time. I just dont think it will be relevant for more than a month. Call it a gut feeling then. It looks way to shallow for people to sink many hours into. To me it looks like a tech demo.

I guess we just have to wait and see. But I will tell you this: If this game is a smash hit on the level of Splatoon, then I deserve all the hate thrown at me. I will be humble and admit I was wrong. I will also be very careful about talking shit about a game in the future. I dont like talking down on a game from a publisher I love.

I want to say that maybe Im wrong and you guys may be right and end this discussion, but I cant with this game. Everything in my body screams that this game is shallow and will not be a hit. Its kinda weird. Its like if everyone told me that Meme Run will be the greatest 2D platformer ever made. Then I watch the trailers and go "What is happening right now?"

Im going to end it here because I dont want it to get ugly even though I will have trouble not replying.

KLXVER said:

I can see the similarities in the way Nintendo markets this game, but comparing it to Splatoon just makes it sound that it really wasnt much to Splatoon other than free DLC. Everyone says its great, so it must be great.

I think the main similarity people see is that it presents a unique, more accessible take on an established genre. That is a lot more important than free DLC. I think it is clear that the design philosophy (and not just the marketing philosophy) is very similar to the philosophy that was taken with Splatoon. It is difficult not to see the influence of Splatoon on this game's design to the extent that I wonder if this game would even have been made if it weren't for the success of Splatoon.

Arms is to fighting games what Splatoon was to shooters. Now, these are two very different genres and I don't expect a fighting game to find as much mainstream appeal as fighting games are a very niche genre, but I find it hard to believe that you can't see the clear similarities in design philosophy. 

KLXVER said:

Well I choose different games to compare it with because thats pretty much all I can do at this point. I have to because people cant accept that I dont think it will be a smash hit. So I have to try and find examples. They are not perfect, but those are the games that came to mind at the time. I just dont think it will be relevant for more than a month. Call it a gut feeling then. It looks way to shallow for people to sink many hours into. To me it looks like a tech demo.

I guess we just have to wait and see. But I will tell you this: If this game is a smash hit on the level of Splatoon, then I deserve all the hate thrown at me. I will be humble and admit I was wrong. I will also be very careful about talking shit about a game in the future. I dont like talking down on a game from a publisher I love.

I want to say that maybe Im wrong and you guys may be right and end this discussion, but I cant with this game. Everything in my body screams that this game is shallow and will not be a hit. Its kinda weird. Its like if everyone told me that Meme Run will be the greatest 2D platformer ever made. Then I watch the trailers and go "What is happening right now?"

Im going to end it here because I dont want it to get ugly even though I will have trouble not replying.

Dude. I don't care about your opinion. Its your opinion. Unless you are disparaging others for their opinion about the game, then no one should be coming after you with hate. I merely replied because of your Evolve comparison. Feel free to not like the game. Your opinion may not change, but don't feel bad or bothered by others for not liking a game.

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

You think, but fact tells us different: ARMS is new Nintendo IP, its very fun and interesting game with focus on online play, its Nintendo take out on existing gener, it will have test demo, strong marketing, it will have future free updates for content, impressions of previews and people that actually played game are positive and all saying that game is very fun to play, we talking about new game of Mario Kart team. It's so obvious that even blind man could see why people are comparing this game with Splatoon and why this game could easily become quite popular and one of must have Switch games, even if doesn't hit Splatoon popularity.

You would be very aware of this facts if you are not very close minded about this game, I dont doubt you were very closed minded about Splatoon before launch also. Fact that you try to compare this game to Evolve and refusing to compare it to Splatoon, tells that you dont know what are you talking about.

Ok, lets compare it to Splatoon then. Splatoon was pretty much unfinished when it released, so they gave out free DLC throughout the year instead of delaying it. Is Arms unfinished as well then? Best wait until they finish it then?

You are so hyped about this game that you cant possibly see why someone dont think it will be anything but a smash hit and loved by everyone. I can see the similarities in the way Nintendo markets this game, but comparing it to Splatoon just makes it sound that it really wasnt much to Splatoon other than free DLC. Everyone says its great, so it must be great. No, not really. Every preview of Evolve made it sound like a game changer as well. Thats why I compare it to Arms. I didnt trust the hype from reviewers around Evolve and I dont with Arms either. It looks shallow as hell imo.

You can keep telling me that I dont know what Im talking about if it makes you feel better, but just because this is from Nintendo and made by the MK team doesnt mean its a guaranteed hit.

Actually we know that Splatoon had locked content on disc, and they graduly were unlocking that content, but later they were doing brand new content that wasnt on disk. Splatoon devs talk about how they wanted to release gradually content in order that users master existing maps and weapons before they ad new one, and they graduly were adding completely new addon also, also they realised that was great way to promote game in same time. ARMS is complete game (just look numbers of mods), but they will keep releasing new fighters and stages, giving more value and keep promoting game in that way.

I am not hyped about game, I just look at very obvous facts. I didnt said it will be hit loved by everyone, even Splatoon is not loved by everyone.

So you saying that you completely ignoring all obvious similarities with Splatoon, that are all basically clear facts because you don't like game!? Again similarities with Splatoon (clear fact)s:

-ARMS is new Nintendo IP

-its very fun and interesting game with focus on online play

-its Nintendo take on existing genre (Splatoon take shooters, ARMS take fighting genre)

-new mechanics and new weird characters

-it will have test demo

-strong marketing

-it will have future free updates for content

-impressions of previews and people that actually played game are positive and all saying that game is very fun to play.

So all things above, and fact that is new IP from Mario Kart team, tells us that game is very comparible with Splatoon and that can easily become quite popular and one of must have Switch games, even if doesn't hit Splatoon popularity.

So obvously yes, when you try to compare ARMS with Evolve and you refusing to compare it to Splatoon, tells that you don't know what are you talking about or you are doing some strong denying because you don't like game.

Around the Network

Nice to see this game get the Splatoon treatment

Would be nice to have all the content right from the start, but it keeps the game fresh with a staggered content release

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Nice to see this game get the Splatoon treatment

Would be nice to have all the content right from the start, but it keeps the game fresh with a staggered content release

Plus anyone who really wants all the content from the get go can simply wait until the free updates are finished and only then buy the game.