By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 80+ Million Switches Need to be Sold in 5 Years or it's a Failure

Darwinianevolution said:
DroidKnight said:

Again I think optics is important, that would appear as a 10 million Nintendo user base decline.

That is debatable. If their userbase goes down by 10m but their software sale goes up 50% (random number), they still get more profits. And with their two big markets fused, they are going to sell way more games than with two different consoles.

The userbase needs to feel the win, not Nintendo.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Its impossible to sell 80 million in 5 years. Ps4 might just do that but not the switch. And i doubt it can even sell 80 million lifetime. My guess is 50 million

If it actually gets to 80m within 5 years I'd consider it a success because they increased their current install base. Now if they struggle to reach 50m, that would be a tragedy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

In my opinion 50m+ would definitely be a success, failure is a strong term, to me it'd have to sell less then 25-30m to be classed as such, not 80m.

Pinkie_pie said:
Its impossible to sell 80 million in 5 years. Ps4 might just do that but not the switch. And i doubt it can even sell 80 million lifetime. My guess is 50 million

Wii U + 3DS managed it, and that was with the Wii U holding it back.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I think that you're being unrealistic with expecting the switch to have the combined sales of two consoles (in a negative way or positive way) just because it's a hybrid. No one knows how it will play out and a lot of people are guessing at it based on assumptions for the sake of calling it early.

DroidKnight said:
Pinkie_pie said:

3DS has been out 6 years and sold around 65m

WiiU has been out 4.5 years and sold around 13m...

So you can't really say that, when the best selling has been out 6 not 5 years.

3ds average per year: 10.83m

WiiU Average per year: 2.88m

Combined average for 5 years: 68.55m

Or without using averages.

3DS first 5 years + WiiU till discontinued = 70m.

Barkley said:
DroidKnight said:

And many wii u owners also own a 3ds. All my friends who own a wii u also own a 3ds.

You forget to add "in my opinion" at the end of the title.

Barkley said:
DroidKnight said:

Please refer to the 1st sentence of the OP.  I was already taking that into account.