By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Left leaning ABC network cancels Last Man Standing.

glimmer_of_hope said:
Soundwave said:

I don't think they have a problem with free speech, they have a problem with hate speech/bigotry though. 

Tim Allen though just sucks donkey balls and had shit ratings so not sure why he should be gaurunteed a TV show. 

When people are racist or bigoted THATS when you allow them to speak even more! It's like when terrorists bomb us, we live our life and freedoms even more! Shutting people down because they have weirdo opinions shows intollerance. If you'll note I don't give a rats ass about Coulter or Milo, but they should have a platform to speak like we ALL should. How many people here identify as Liberal...I guarantee the majority of people who disagree with me are Liberal! Hence my opinion of Liberals and free speech! Can you imagine a horde of conservatives with masks and weapons shutting down a liberal? No it wouldn't happen! Why? 

So if I understood that correctly, you want to give (for example) radical islamists who support the Islamic State a public platform to recruit more terrorists?

Freedom of speech absolutely needs limits. Those start with insults and end with hate speech against minorities or calls to violence.

Around the Network
glimmer_of_hope said:

This follows on the heals of other communist like actions from the intolerant Left such as:

Shutting down Milo Yiannopoulos twitter account and protesting his Berkeley speech.

Protesting Ann Coulter again trying to speak at Berkeley.

Google censoring and demonitizing Right leaning views.

Why is the Left so against free speech? 

because that is what the left side of the spectrum has always been about - control

hitler was a leftist, stalin was a leftist etc etc etc

fascism is spawned from the left

I liked Last Man Standing, E4 started showing it but then randomly stopped, so I've only seen season 1 and 3 episodes of second. Was a shame. Love Home Improvement mind, watched all of those and this felt like a advancement of it.

Hmm, pie.

So, a poorly received sitcom that has already run for six seasons being canceled is a sign of the left being against free speech? I don't think I had ever even heard about Last Man Standing before this thread, and if I did I had forgotten about it a long time ago. Not that I really even care, since Tim Allen hasn't done much of value outside of the Toy Story movies in the last 20 years.

glimmer_of_hope said:
Zkuq said:

The first statement claims that everyone that's to the left is against free speech. The second statement claims that several groups that are to the left are against free speech. 'Several groups' does not cover everyone that's to the left. First, it doesn't cover individual people. Second, there are left-leaning groups that aren't against free speech. What you're claiming (indirectly) is that 'all' and 'several'  are the same thing. It's quite comparable to claiming that 'all' and 'some' are the same thing.

All Canadians love hockey, All Americans love baseball. Do they? No! But in the eyes of the person who says that, they are meaning the vast majority does. So is that how we are going to live life? "98.8465382046364362634803332% Canadians love hockey, and don't you dare just say Canadians love hockey because you are wrong" If I turn that around and say "98.8465382046364362634803332% Canadians love hockey" people are going to laugh and say "your right all canadians love hockey" Thats what I mean by saying the same thing!! 

So clearly when I say "what does the left have against freedom of speech" Clearly it does not mean 100% It just means the vast majority in my opinion.

You don't seem to understand the importance of context. If you say 'Canadians love hockey', no one's going to object most of the time because, like you said, it's understood as a generalization. But if there's a Canadian that doesn't like hockey in the room, they might just point out you're wrong. Most of the time, you're probably OK saying all Canadians love hockey because most Canadians really do love hockey (or at least I'm assuming so). However, saying all Canadians love hockey, which you used in your example, is an even stronger statement because it contains the word 'all' containing extra information. You didn't just cut it short, you actually gave (false) extra information. In a discussion, there's probably a slightly higher chance that someone might point out your error even if they're not a Canadian who doesn't like hockey.

Anyway, that went a bit off-topic, I suppose, although it did have a point. Getting back to context now. When you say 'the left are against free speech', it similar to provoking the Canadians that don't love hockey, only there's evidently even more leftists who don't oppose free speech because they're being quite loud about your generalization. They didn't like being lumped together in your generalization because it makes them look bad, whether you intended it that way or not. Context is funny like that, and in political contexts, it would be wise to choose your words very carefully. Or, conversely, not choosing your words carefully can be extremely stupid in a political context unless you want to create a shitstorm.

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, this cancellation was clearly politically motivated. Modern Family's ratings have dropped below Last Man Standing's and yet they renewed Modern Family for 2 more seasons. Such bullcrap. I hope some other Network or Netflix/Hulu/Amazon picks it up.

May is Renew/Cancel season and ratings are not always the most important factor. Budget plays a part as well. Tim Allen is likley not cheap. His increasing sallary plus the others on the show likely were choking the shows budget and was just no longer viable. My brother has worked at CBS since 1990 and seen many shows get the axe despite ratings were good sometimes just due to actors getting expensive. On Fox Star Trek the Next Generation had 1 more season under contract but the actors cost too much for the shows budget. Oh and not to mention Tim Allen is well known asshole and really hard to work with. Dick actors can lead to cancellation as well. Alf was cancelled after 4 seasons because one of the cast was such a ass no one wanted to work on the show anymore.

I read an article on this that didn't have Tim Allens current salary. No idea what that is. But they said last they knew it was $350k an episode or something.

BTW he brought in like 1.25 million an episode on Home Improvement at some point.

They then mentioned that like 4-5 stars on modern family ALL make more per episode than $350k.

Don't forget that Big Bang Theory Stars make like near a million a piece last I heard. Like 4-5 of them.

And as someone mentioned, the viewership of LMS is nearly identical to Modern Fmaily and look at the timeslots. LMS is on a freaking friday, the least watched showings of tv shows.

There are a hundred articles about this. Practically all of them say it appears to be 100% politically motivated cause it makes zero sense otherwise.

Chris Hu said:
pbroy said:
Should have been canceled after Kristin got fat and not funny after the first season. The show started getting dumb anyways, with the whole political plots that got thrown in. The only reason I kept watching was to fap to Mandy.

Why would you do that this isn't the 90s or the dial up era there is a ton of better stuff to fap to on the internet now.

My penis gets horny for dumb clueless brunettes. What can I say? It has a mind of its own. 😒

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
irstupid said:
SegataSanshiro said:

May is Renew/Cancel season and ratings are not always the most important factor. Budget plays a part as well. Tim Allen is likley not cheap. His increasing sallary plus the others on the show likely were choking the shows budget and was just no longer viable. My brother has worked at CBS since 1990 and seen many shows get the axe despite ratings were good sometimes just due to actors getting expensive. On Fox Star Trek the Next Generation had 1 more season under contract but the actors cost too much for the shows budget. Oh and not to mention Tim Allen is well known asshole and really hard to work with. Dick actors can lead to cancellation as well. Alf was cancelled after 4 seasons because one of the cast was such a ass no one wanted to work on the show anymore.

I read an article on this that didn't have Tim Allens current salary. No idea what that is. But they said last they knew it was $350k an episode or something.

BTW he brought in like 1.25 million an episode on Home Improvement at some point.

They then mentioned that like 4-5 stars on modern family ALL make more per episode than $350k.

Don't forget that Big Bang Theory Stars make like near a million a piece last I heard. Like 4-5 of them.

And as someone mentioned, the viewership of LMS is nearly identical to Modern Fmaily and look at the timeslots. LMS is on a freaking friday, the least watched showings of tv shows.

There are a hundred articles about this. Practically all of them say it appears to be 100% politically motivated cause it makes zero sense otherwise.

Nope the show was shit and so are all other sitcoms that have laugh tracks glad that it and Dr Ken got cancelled two less shit laugh track infused sitcoms.

o_O.Q said:
glimmer_of_hope said:

This follows on the heals of other communist like actions from the intolerant Left such as:

Shutting down Milo Yiannopoulos twitter account and protesting his Berkeley speech.

Protesting Ann Coulter again trying to speak at Berkeley.

Google censoring and demonitizing Right leaning views.

Why is the Left so against free speech? 

because that is what the left side of the spectrum has always been about - control

hitler was a leftist, stalin was a leftist etc etc etc

fascism is spawned from the left

LOL you are clueless Hitler and the Nazis where right wingers.  All groups that spread racism and intollerance are right wingers.

Arminillo said:
idk, i think the show parodied conservative stereotypes to make a joke out of them, im sure it had many liberal writers who got a kick out of making the situations.

Pretty sure Tim Allen got asked about the writing in the show, due to it being conservative leaning show, and he said all the jokes are written by liberal writters. 

Chris Hu said:
irstupid said:

Nope the show was shit and so are all other sitcoms that have laugh tracks glad that it and Dr Ken got cancelled two less shit laugh track infused sitcoms.

DOes not matter what you think of the quailty. The show put out numbers. People were watching it. Cancelling it makes no financial sense.