By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Exactly how much difference is there between the PS/XB and the Switch?

Barozi said:
So far there has been zero proper releases that could be compared between those systems.
Sure you can take Lego City Undercover (last gen port) and Snake Pass (low budget indie game) and notice quite a few differences there, but the real test comes, when Swith gets an AA to AAA multiplat. We possibly have to wait until NBA 2K18 releases in September, but even then the game isn't all that demanding.

Not even about NBA2K18 being demanding or not, you'll still be able to put them side by side and see exactly what they had to cut out to have it run on the Switch, I'm sure digital foundry will show every missing lighting, shadow or AA effect right after launch with the Switch port so you'll have a good idea basically what sort of power the GPU in the switch is capable of.

As for games being limited by the systems 3gb of usable ram for games which someone mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about that, it's still a great advanement over the 512mb that the X360/PS3 had under the hood and both those machines had some stellar games, both looks and size of worlds, remember too that the 512MB of ram in the older consoles also had to section away parts of that for the consoles OS as well as other things and it would still be 1/6th the amount if the whole lot was available to games anyway.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
Also a big factor in its performance level is how it switches between the low power 150 gflops and 384 gflops modes on the fly. This isn't normal for consoles and clearly the Switch does it instantly on the fly. From all accounts the Switch doesn't fully utilise that 384 gflops at all but instead just uses the performance boost to either upscale or anti-alias. I've not heard of any games currently that load higher quality graphic assets when you dock the Switch and with the very low 25.6GB/s memory bandwidth I think the docked mode is more bottlenecked.

The figure of 384 gflops may not be realistic at all because most of that performance is untapped so the console can instantly switch to portable mode without having to reload the game. I.e. 2 graphic output drivers a bit like a pc connected to 2 screens but toggles between each display.

Yeah, that is a good point. I think we will never see loading of new assets, because this would involve more time for the switch or loading screens if you dock/undock.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

bonzobanana said:
Eagle367 said:
It's exaggerated I would say. The switch is far closer to xbone than Wii U at this point and with engines like unreal 4 and developers claiming time and again the ease of portability unless you count really intensive games almost all games can be ported to switch at not that much hassle if the developers are serious about it. I mean how long did it take for snake pass to be ported? Two months or something?

Definitely easy to port games too from what has been written from many sources but that doesn't mean it can port more ambitious games if those games need a more powerful gpu or more cpu resources.

Easier to port doesn't mean any better than Wii U, it simply means easier to port. (*edit* not that I'm saying their the same power, their obviously not but a strange way to "prove" it's closer to Xbone)  I think it's a great exaggeration to say (as if anyone really knows) that it's closer to the Xbone than Wii U. So far, the best graphics it has on it is also on the Wii U, and is almost identical.

Ganoncrotch said:
Barozi said:
So far there has been zero proper releases that could be compared between those systems.
Sure you can take Lego City Undercover (last gen port) and Snake Pass (low budget indie game) and notice quite a few differences there, but the real test comes, when Swith gets an AA to AAA multiplat. We possibly have to wait until NBA 2K18 releases in September, but even then the game isn't all that demanding.

Not even about NBA2K18 being demanding or not, you'll still be able to put them side by side and see exactly what they had to cut out to have it run on the Switch, I'm sure digital foundry will show every missing lighting, shadow or AA effect right after launch with the Switch port so you'll have a good idea basically what sort of power the GPU in the switch is capable of.

As for games being limited by the systems 3gb of usable ram for games which someone mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about that, it's still a great advanement over the 512mb that the X360/PS3 had under the hood and both those machines had some stellar games, both looks and size of worlds, remember too that the 512MB of ram in the older consoles also had to section away parts of that for the consoles OS as well as other things and it would still be 1/6th the amount if the whole lot was available to games anyway.

Sure, but if the game is already running at 1080p 60FPS on PS4, the console probably isn't maxed out. It could probably run with a stable 70FPS if the framerate wasn't locked. Thus the Switch version is likely to be a lot closer to the other versions, since that one is surely going to be maxed out.

A multiplat game with a few framerate issues on the most powerful console would be an even more efficient comparison.

Barozi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Sure, but if the game is already running at 1080p 60FPS on PS4, the console probably isn't maxed out. It could probably run with a stable 70FPS if the framerate wasn't locked. Thus the Switch version is likely to be a lot closer to the other versions, since that one is surely going to be maxed out.

A multiplat game with a few framerate issues on the most powerful console would be an even more efficient comparison.

Those games won't come to Switch.

Around the Network

Not strong enough for big western AAA ports most likely

I keep hearing that the power is between the Wii U and PS4 though the gap is pretty big :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Not strong enough for big western AAA ports most likely

I keep hearing that the power is between the Wii U and PS4 though the gap is pretty big :p

Well, it's not as powerful as the Xbone either, so we can narrow it down to being between the Wii U and Xbone really.

JRPGfan said:
KrspaceT said:

The Switch is stronger than the Wii U with better archeticture after all, so I can't help but feel people are exaggerating the gap. 

397 Gflops vs 1840 Gflops.

Theres no exaggeration going on.

Its just aparently it doesnt matter all that much... you run abit lower resolution, turn off a few effects ect.

People dont care that much.  Its why people that believe scorpio is going to make a massive differnce are fooling themselves.

Also Snake Pass & Lego City Undercover are kinda horrible ports, to use as compairisons.

They put more work into the switch versions than they did the other systems.

Snake Pass dev said it took 3 weeks to port the game to the Switch

only on xbox one 185 games

Titel Release-date
Action News Heroes released
AE Lucky Fishing TBA
Air Missions: HIND TBA
Amazing Princess Sarah released
Anarcute released
Anode released
Astroneer released
Ashen 2017
Azito x Tatsunoko Legends Bislang nur in Japan erhältlich
Beacon 2017
Beatsplosion for Kinect released
Ben-Hur released
Bike Mayhem 2 released
Blast Brawl 2 released
Book of Demons 2017
Boom Ball for Kinect released
Boom Ball for Kinect 2 released
Bridge Constructor Stunts released
Calibre 10 Racing Series 2017
Candleman 01. Feb 17
Castle Crashers: Remastered released
Chuck's Challenge 3D TBA
Clash released
Clouds & Sheep 2 released
ClusterPuck 99 released
Cobalt released
Conan Exiles 2017
Crabitron TBA
Crackdown 3 2017
Crash Force 2017
Crimson Dragon released
Crypt of the Serpent King released
Cubot - The Complexity of Simplicity released
Cuphead 2017
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die released
Dad Beat Dads released
Dance Central Spotlight released
Dead Rising 3 released
Dead Rising 4 released
Death God University released
Dovetail Games Euro Fishing released
Dovetail Games Train Simulator 2016 2017
Draw a Stickman: EPIC released
Dungeon Of The Endless released
Elementales TBA
Energy Cycle released
Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood released
ENKI TBA
Eventide: Slavic Fable released
Everspace released
Fantasia: Music Evolved released
Fermi's Path released
Fighter Within released
Fortified released
Forza Horizon 2 released
Forza Horizon 2: Presents Fast & Furious released
Forza Horizon 3 released
Forza Motorsport 5 released
Forza Motorsport 6 released
Friday Night Bullet Arena released
Fru released
Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 released
Gears of War 4 released
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition released
Gemini - A Tale of Two Stars TBA
Gigantic released
Glitchrunners 2017
Global Mission 2 TBA
G Prime Into The Rain released
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride released
GunWorld: Xbox One Edition released
Hack, Slash & Backstab released
Halo 5: Guardians released
Halo: Spartan Assault released
Halo: The Master Chief Collection released
Halo Wars 2 21. Feb 17
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition 2017
Happy Dou Dizhu TBA
Happy Dungeons released
Happy Mahjong TBA
Happy Wars released
Horse Racing 2016 released
Hyperdrive Massacre released
#IDARB released
I'm MT 2 TBA
In Between released
Into the Belly of the Beast released
Ion TBA
JumpJet Rex released
Kaiju Panic released
Kalimba! released
Killer Instinct released
Kinect Sports Rivals released
Kingdom: New Lands released
Knight Squad released
Kung Fu for Kinect released
KYUB released
Land It! released
Lies of Astaroth released
LocoCycle released
Magic Duels released
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 released
MagNets released
Massive Chalice released
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood released
Momentum released
Monkey King Saga released
MoNochroma released
Monster Buster: Agency 2017
Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call TBA
Natsuki Chronicle 2017
Nevermind released
Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call released
One Hundred Ways released
Orbit released
Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest released
Path of Exile 2017
Perfect Woman released
Phantasmal: City of Darkness 2017
Phantom Dust 2017
Pit People released
Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic released
Polychromatic released
Powerstar Golf released
Project Spark released
Q released
Quantum Break released
Quantum Rush: Champions released
Quatros Origins released
Raiden 5 released
Rare Replay released
ReCore released
Reversi Quest released
Rise & Shine released
Rivals Of Aether released
Roblox released
Ryse: Son of Rome released
Sea of Thieves 2017
Shape Up released
Shooting Love Trilogy 2017
Shred It! released
Screamride released
Slice Zombies for Kinect released
Slime Rancher (Game Preview) released
Snooker Nation Championship released
Soda Drinker Pro released
Solar Shifter EX released
Sombrero 2017
Spareware released
Speedboat Challenge released
Squid Hero for Kinect released
Standpoint released
Starpoint Gemini 2 released
State of Decay 2 2017
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition released
Stranger of Sword City released
Students of the Round 2 2017
Sunset Overdrive released
Super Party Sports: Football released
Sword of Legends TBA
Swordy 2017
TACOMA 2017
Tenebrae: Twilight of the Gods 2017
The Adventure Pals 2017
The Culling 2017
The Living Dungeon released
The Long Dark (Game Preview) released
The Solus Project released
The Toilet Chronicles TBA
Thimbleweed Park Q1 2017
Threes released
Titanfall released
Toy Odyssey released
Trulon: The Shadow Engine Q1 2017
Unnamed Fiasco released
Voice Commander Bislang nur in den USA erhältlich
Voodoo Vince Remastered Q1 2017
We Happy Few (Game Preview) released
Westerado: Double Barreled released
World II: Hunting Boss released
Wulverblade TBA
Xbox Fitness released
Zoo Tycoon released

Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

Right now, the best way to tell the difference is by looking at Dragon Quest XI *edit* Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgYM5g_auD0

This should say everything. Performance seems to take small hits on Switch, the shadows are harsh, the lighting flat, the textures are lower res, there is less foliage, worse geometry, ect. That's not to mention I don't really think Dragon Quest is all that demanding of a game, but more so than LCU and the snake game.

Although that probably is the best comparison so far (because there are so few), I suspect it's not a good one none the less as it's not a particularly graphic heavy game, and it gives me the impression of a lazy port, because they let the game run at around ~20 fps in undocked mode on Switch judging by digital foundry's performance analysis. (Runs at 60f on PS4). This is one of those games where framerate is important, so it's possible the game could have looked and run better if they put more effort into it, or even looked worse than it already does for them to reach a 30fps target for handheld mode.

I wonder how many, if any, graphically demanding game comparisons we'll be able to see in the future though.

bigtakilla said:

It goes a little deeper than that, I mean it won't even be the exact same game on Switch at 720p and 30fps. There will be less effects, and more than likely a cut back as far as foliage, textures, ect. I honestly don't think we will ever get a clear indication as I don't think any third parties will ever take the take to properly port a massive AAA game to max the Switch out.

In some cases they could possibly solve it by just lowering the resolution and framerate. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all they did to a game like I Am Setsuna for example. But in other cases for more demanding games where they scale back the graphics to the point where the game the starts looking like a poor representation of the original game, you have to start manually removing objects instead that can be crucial for the overal game presentation as well, and even the functionality.

Agreed. Results will vary, but I was strictly talking about huge budget AAA games that push the PS4 and Xbone.