By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your review is a little forced in spots, Jim

Opinions.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
mZuzek said:

Nice generalization of a whole fanbase.

Everytime any highly acclaimed game gets a significantly lower than average review this happens. It's only more pronounced in this case because the game was also more well reviewed than most others.

Sorry, but no other base has given a shit about a good 7. Even if the game gets a 90+ on Metacritic. None. Maybe a 5 for a game most see as good/great, but a 7? And still caring about it 3 weeks later? Just sad.

It could maybe be more due to the reason was too absurd, nick picky  or not enough of a reason to knock a game down so much. Like when IGN give Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire a 7.8 because of "Too Much Water" recieved negativity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ACvQpH108

Anyways to say no other base has given a shit about a good 7 is clearly untrue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCWrjU3pps&t=6s - Mass Effect Andromeda - IGN - 7.7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b_-BrDPrM - The Last Guardian - IGN - 7.0

Mass Effect Andromeda and The Last Guardian have some pretty high dislike to like ratios so don't tell me no other base has ever given a shit about a good 7 when clearly they have. Athough I personally find these 2 games deserving of their scores a 7 is still low enough, especially in the case of Botw in comparison with its record setting number of 10's to be a flawed review. Especially when you compare Botw's score with Jim's other reviewed games, it's hard to take seriously.

vivster said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't know about that and I generally avoid speculating on motivation. I will do with Jim's review what I do with many things: take it at face value. Jim did not enjoy the game as much as others but the reasoning he provides, at times, seems shaky to me.

Why though? The point he made is that blood moons are annoying and then provided an example of another anoying thing in a different game. It's completely different games and the annoyances have a different quality to them, yet you are comparing them as if they were completely equal. If anything, your reasoning seems shaky as you try to use objective math on a subjective feeling.

From what I understand, Jim's point was that these things, blood moon and curse box, are "shows of disrespect toward the player’s time"... As it turns out, time is PERFECTLY measurable so that's what I did. I measured. 40 out of 31,627 seconds is not terribly disrespectful, if at all, in my opinion.

thismeintiel said:
I can easily say, I have NEVER seen a fanbase be so obsessed over a review that gave a game a "good." Not great, just good. I mean, Jesus, it's almost been a month since his review was posted, yet here we still are, making threads about it. He liked the game, but didn't love it. Get over it already. This obsession is not healthy.

I'm not obsessed with the review, I'm obsessed with rhetoric and reading Jim's review made me want to shout 'OBJECTION!' at different points... Maybe I should have studied law?.. On second thought, those law books seem thick. Nevermind.

Mummelmann said:
You went through all this research to find something seemingly tangible in a review that you could disagree with? Go play games instead!

I play the game of discourse and critical thinking.

My App Center is one of the best mobile app builder platform. 

Around the Network

OP updated before I go to bed.

thismeintiel said:
mZuzek said:

Nice generalization of a whole fanbase.

Everytime any highly acclaimed game gets a significantly lower than average review this happens. It's only more pronounced in this case because the game was also more well reviewed than most others.

Sorry, but no other base has given a shit about a good 7. Even if the game gets a 90+ on Metacritic. None. Maybe a 5 for a game most see as good/great, but a 7? And still caring about it 3 weeks later? Just sad.

Lol, I've seen PS fans creating petitions to remove certain reviews from Metacritic. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

He's trying to take sides. The hardcore Sony and Microsoft fans probably want a horrible review for BOTW and a shining review for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Basically, he's clickbaiting. It's BS and a low blow. At worst I can imagine like an 85 for BOTW. Any lower and you either have an agenda or shouldn't be reviewing.

I don't get the menu and the shrine cutscenes complaints at all.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

KLAMarine said:
Mummelmann said:
You went through all this research to find something seemingly tangible in a review that you could disagree with? Go play games instead!

I play the game of discourse and critical thinking.

Well sure, but there are plenty of much worse reviews to take from. I see your point though, I stopped caring about and/or listening to reviews in the 7th gen, massive scores were thrown around for games with huge, obvious flaws and weaknesses and a lot of really good game didn't get praise due to not including the fads and gimmicks of most mainstream titles, choosing instead to develop and use original systems and mechanics.