By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your review is a little forced in spots, Jim

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:

I know he is, but he doesnt need to interrupt what Im doing. I see the blood moon and I would know "Ok, the enemies are respawning". No need to make me skip a cutscene 50 times. I know it needs to load them in, but its still annoying.

How often does it happen for you? It's been very rare for me and at times I hope it happens again.

The Blood moon occur after 7 in-game days. Also occurs earlier when you fight mini bosses on the overworld I think.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

How often does it happen for you? It's been very rare for me and at times I hope it happens again.

Ive had it happen like 3 times in an hour and like 2 times in 10 minutes, but its usually more rare.

Know how many hours you've played thus far?

Rocketjay8 said:
KLAMarine said:

The Blood moon occur after 7 in-game days. Also occurs earlier when you fight mini bosses on the overworld I think.

I think it has something to do with how many enemies you have killed. It was very rare in the playthrough in the original post.

KLAMarine said:
pokoko said:

Well, take his FF13 review, since it's kind of famous, too.

"The story is terrible, but the dialog is worse. An average conversation in Final Fantasy XIII goes like this: "Pulse, Cocoon, L'sie, Fal'sie, Focus, Focus, Focus." Over and over again, the same stupid words. If you can get to the end of this 30+ hour saga and not be sick of those words, you're a strong man indeed. I wanted to vomit after just an hour of it. That's not helped by Vannile, whose Australian warblings and high-pitched wailing manages to make an already ludicrous story sound even worse."

That's not actually how an average conversation in FF13 goes (though it's close).  I also doubt he wanted to vomit.  Throwing up isn't fun and probably wouldn't have helped.

I'm not a fan of Sterling whatsoever but he is from England so he does exaggerate for effect.

Hmmm, now I have to wonder what portions of his BotW review might be exaggeration...

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Sterling's style at all.  We disliked each other when he was at Destructoid.  However, he's pretty consistent in that he writes for humor and he writes the way he wants.  That's why he become famous in the first place.  He's not someone to read if you're easily offended, especially not over video-games.  Some people take certain franchises far too seriously and he doesn't coddle them at all.

I also don't buy all those claiming Sterling was just trying to get attention.  They're just trying to discredit him as best they can think of because he was mean to a game they liked and it bruised their ego.  If anything, Sterling is probably one of the most honest reviewers.  He most likely gave Zelda a 7 or whatever because that's how much he liked it.  Simple as that, really.  He doesn't try to figure out what it "deserves" or worry about fanboy reactions, he just gives it whatever he's feeling.  Like giving Deadly Premonition at 10 because it was quirky.  

Of course, in my experience (though from years ago at Destructoid), he also doesn't care that much about getting his facts right, so who knows.

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:

Ive had it happen like 3 times in an hour and like 2 times in 10 minutes, but its usually more rare.

Is there a way to see how long youve played? Its a very immersive game, so its easy to lose track of how long youve played.

pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:

Hmmm, now I have to wonder what portions of his BotW review might be exaggeration...

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Sterling's style at all.  We disliked each other when he was at Destructoid.  However, he's pretty consistent in that he writes for humor and he writes the way he wants.  That's why he become famous in the first place.  He's not someone to read if you're easily offended, especially not over video-games.  Some people take certain franchises far too seriously and he doesn't coddle them at all.

I also don't buy all those claiming Sterling was just trying to get attention.  They're just trying to discredit him as best they can think of because he was mean to a game they liked and it bruised their ego.  If anything, Sterling is probably one of the most honest reviewers.  He most likely gave Zelda a 7 or whatever because that's how much he liked it.  Simple as that, really.  He doesn't try to figure out what it "deserves" or worry about fanboy reactions, he just gives it whatever he's feeling.  Like giving Deadly Premonition at 10 because it was quirky.  

Of course, in my experience (though from years ago at Destructoid), he also doesn't care that much about getting his facts right, so who knows.

Don't keep it to yourself, there.

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

Is there a way to see how long youve played? Its a very immersive game, so its easy to lose track of how long youve played.

I don't know. I've never really bothered. I just play the game.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
pokoko said:

KLXVER said:

Well Ive beaten it. Done all four divine beasts. 82 shrines. About 50 side quests I think and explored alot. Maybe between 50-80 hours. Im not sure.

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

Well Ive beaten it. Done all four divine beasts. 82 shrines. About 50 side quests I think and explored alot. Maybe between 50-80 hours. Im not sure.

If you can find a playthrough where the blood moon occurs as frequently as the cursed night box happens in Castlevania 2, don't hesitate to share.

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:

If you can find a playthrough where the blood moon occurs as frequently as the cursed night box happens in Castlevania 2, don't hesitate to share.

No, its not that level of insane.

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

No, its not that level of insane.

lol, didn't think so based on my playing and number crunching in the OP

He said a few things I didn't agree with (ie: Link's SPRINTING time, not his running time) but I just chalked it up to him being a different, more nitpicky gamer than I am.