By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your review is a little forced in spots, Jim

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

Know how many hours you've played thus far?

Is there a way to see how long youve played? Its a very immersive game, so its easy to lose track of how long youve played.

Two was to see how long you've played (on Switch). 

-The first and most accurate: Download the parental control app. 

-The second and not really accurate: click on your profile and look at your games you've played.

It says I've only played a few minutes of Fast RMX despite the fact that I already completely finished the novice cup. It also said I played about 95 hours of Zelda when I added up the parental control app and saw that I logged in over 150 hours days ago.

Around the Network

The Blood Moon is actually a legitimate problem with the game. Not so much because of the delay, although the decision to interrupt the game and show the player a cutscene (even if it is a skippable one) every single time is rather odd, but because of the glitches that accompany it. 

(First link has MAJOR spoilers, so be warned)

But yeah, Jim's review style tends to resemble a moderately less exaggerted version of Zero Punctuation. I wouldn't take everything he puts forth at face value (although he does raise a number of legitimate issues that other reviewers were a bit too willing to gloss over imo, but hey, those are opinions for you).

d21lewis said:
KLXVER said:

Is there a way to see how long youve played? Its a very immersive game, so its easy to lose track of how long youve played.

Two was to see how long you've played (on Switch). 

-The first and most accurate: Download the parental control app. 

-The second and not really accurate: click on your profile and look at your games you've played.

It says I've only played a few minutes of Fast RMX despite the fact that I already completely finished the novice cup. It also said I played about 95 hours of Zelda when I added up the parental control app and saw that I logged in over 150 hours days ago.

Well Im not downloading the app. It says I have "65 hours or more"

mZuzek said:
pokoko said:

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Sterling's style at all.  We disliked each other when he was at Destructoid.  However, he's pretty consistent in that he writes for humor and he writes the way he wants.  That's why he become famous in the first place.  He's not someone to read if you're easily offended, especially not over video-games.  Some people take certain franchises far too seriously and he doesn't coddle them at all.

I also don't buy all those claiming Sterling was just trying to get attention.  They're just trying to discredit him as best they can think of because he was mean to a game they liked and it bruised their ego.  If anything, Sterling is probably one of the most honest reviewers.  He most likely gave Zelda a 7 or whatever because that's how much he liked it.  Simple as that, really.  He doesn't try to figure out what it "deserves" or worry about fanboy reactions, he just gives it whatever he's feeling.  Like giving Deadly Premonition at 10 because it was quirky.  

Of course, in my experience (though from years ago at Destructoid), he also doesn't care that much about getting his facts right, so who knows.

I think he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone is, and if he wants to give Zelda a 7, well then there's nothing wrong with that. I just find it obscene that he's on Metacritic.

Why though? He has more review experience than most critics on Metacritic.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

KLAMarine said:

I don't know about that and I generally avoid speculating on motivation. I will do with Jim's review what I do with many things: take it at face value. Jim did not enjoy the game as much as others but the reasoning he provides, at times, seems shaky to me.

Why though? The point he made is that blood moons are annoying and then provided an example of another anoying thing in a different game. It's completely different games and the annoyances have a different quality to them, yet you are comparing them as if they were completely equal. If anything, your reasoning seems shaky as you try to use objective math on a subjective feeling.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
FunFan said:
We all know what his intentions were. He achieved it. I love the guy, but this is what it is.

I don't know about that and I generally avoid speculating on motivation. I will do with Jim's review what I do with many things: take it at face value. Jim did not enjoy the game as much as others but the reasoning he provides, at times, seems shaky to me.

I love speculating on motivation :P

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I can easily say, I have NEVER seen a fanbase be so obsessed over a review that gave a game a "good." Not great, just good. I mean, Jesus, it's almost been a month since his review was posted, yet here we still are, making threads about it. He liked the game, but didn't love it. Get over it already. This obsession is not healthy.

mZuzek said:
thismeintiel said:
I can easily say, I have NEVER seen a fanbase be so obsessed over a review that gave a game a "good." Not great, just good. I mean, Jesus, it's almost been a month since his review was posted, yet here we still are, making threads about it. He liked the game, but didn't love it. Get over it already. This obsession is not healthy.

Nice generalization of a whole fanbase.

Everytime any highly acclaimed game gets a significantly lower than average review this happens. It's only more pronounced in this case because the game was also more well reviewed than most others.

Sorry, but no other base has given a shit about a good 7. Even if the game gets a 90+ on Metacritic. None. Maybe a 5 for a game most see as good/great, but a 7? And still caring about it 3 weeks later? Just sad.

Afaik, the blood moon appears always on the 7th night of the game and you can skip the scene. Jim is just desperately nitpicky.

I doubt that he even got far in the game in the first place. So, he probably watched the rest on youtube and / or was told about certain stuff like where he admits that people told him that weapons last longer later in the game. He didn't figure that one out on his own by playing the game.

Quote from his review:

"While others have claimed that late game weapons are durable enough for it to not be a problem, I maintain that some of the more powerful weapons in the game are still miserably brittle, able to withstand maybe a handful of enemies before players get a nagging pop-up notifying them their fun with the weapon they might have been loving is about to conclude."

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

You went through all this research to find something seemingly tangible in a review that you could disagree with? Go play games instead!