By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch selling life time? (poll)

Unpopular opinion: My prediction is that Switch sells 16.8 million LT/WW, about 7.125 million in Europe, 6.345 million in the US, and 4.150 million in Japan.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Necroing old threads to laugh at how wrong we all were (or most of us anyway) is just a standard part of VGChartz, it's all in good fun.

In a moment of despair back in January 2017 I said I expected Switch would to sell worse than the Gamecube, if anyone wants to bump that post for the lols, I wouldn't mind. You're also free to bump old predictions about Playstation that turned out to be way off base.

This was the same for me as well.  I was really terrified that the Switch would completely bomb.  In Jan/Feb 2017 I would have told you that I would be very happy if the Switch could even just have reached N64 lifetime sales.  At the time, everybody was saying that Nintendo was finished with creating dedicated hardware and that its future was in smartphone gaming (what a laugh that is now seeing what has happened to smartphone gaming and how Nintendo has largely regained much of this market with the Switch).

I agree that it's not insecure to look back at these threads and laugh.  I am the first to admit that I was making one of these completely false predictions back then and I am happier than ever to be wrong.  Nintendo is a treasure trough of gaming history and it is great to not only have them still making consoles in 2020 but actually dominating the market.  Look at Sega and how much of its amazing IP that will never see sequels or updates (Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Panzar Dragoon Saga...) because the company can no longer afford to carry the weight of its own legacy.

Wyrdness said:

Where's the poll on holiday?

I'll give 80m as my prediction given it's unified nature.

Some people really thought this was overly optimistic now this what the NS reaches this very quarter (Q4 FY2020), someone even said it's impossible for it to outsell the 3DS.

Am I in here? Before launch I once predicted 40M somewhere, obviously not very optimistic. Though I did also predict half of those 40M, 20M, would be in Japan. Basically I said it would be business as usual in Japan, but wouldn’t catch on the West. At least the Japan part of my prediction was fairly decent.

Wyrdness said:
Wyrdness said:

Where's the poll on holiday?

I'll give 80m as my prediction given it's unified nature.

Some people really thought this was overly optimistic now this what the NS reaches this very quarter (Q4 FY2020), someone even said it's impossible for it to outsell the 3DS.

The Wii U made us fearful of Nintendo's future that much.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

And this is why I don't like participating in prediction threads without any real data to start off of. Switch was and STILL is unpredictable in real terms. Switch now _looks_ like it will pass 100m. Now the questions are: how close to PS4 LTD or how far above will it go? When will Switch 2 get released and will it short circuit sales?

I still make not real predictions and laugh at ALL who do.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RolStoppable said:
dharh said:

And this is why I don't like participating in prediction threads without any real data to start off of. Switch was and STILL is unpredictable in real terms. Switch now _looks_ like it will pass 100m. Now the questions are: how close to PS4 LTD or how far above will it go? When will Switch 2 get released and will it short circuit sales?

I still make not real predictions and laugh at ALL who do.

You are a hero.

And you are so funny.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
RolStoppable said:

You are a hero.

And you are so funny.

Shaunodon said:
dharh said:

And you are so funny.

Feed me more.  Seriously.

I know I'm a legend, to myself, and literally no one else.

Illusion said:
curl-6 said:

Necroing old threads to laugh at how wrong we all were (or most of us anyway) is just a standard part of VGChartz, it's all in good fun.

In a moment of despair back in January 2017 I said I expected Switch would to sell worse than the Gamecube, if anyone wants to bump that post for the lols, I wouldn't mind. You're also free to bump old predictions about Playstation that turned out to be way off base.

This was the same for me as well.  I was really terrified that the Switch would completely bomb.  In Jan/Feb 2017 I would have told you that I would be very happy if the Switch could even just have reached N64 lifetime sales.  At the time, everybody was saying that Nintendo was finished with creating dedicated hardware and that its future was in smartphone gaming (what a laugh that is now seeing what has happened to smartphone gaming and how Nintendo has largely regained much of this market with the Switch).

I agree that it's not insecure to look back at these threads and laugh.  I am the first to admit that I was making one of these completely false predictions back then and I am happier than ever to be wrong.  Nintendo is a treasure trough of gaming history and it is great to not only have them still making consoles in 2020 but actually dominating the market.  Look at Sega and how much of its amazing IP that will never see sequels or updates (Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Panzar Dragoon Saga...) because the company can no longer afford to carry the weight of its own legacy.

Yeah after the dark days of the Wii U I had more or less lost almost all hope and after the January 2017 showing where they focused mostly on gimmicky stuff like HD rumble and 1-2 Switch, and announced a $300 price tag (I was hoping for $250) and paid online, I thought it was a bomb in the making and Nintendo would exit the hardware business.

I've never been so glad to be wrong.