By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

How does he know it's Zelda fans though?

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
specialk said:

Nothing in theory of coruse. Would I though? Probably not.

By the same token they could completely take out life bars in games so that you could never die and I'd still have the freedom to count the number of hits I take and start over if I take too many. Somehow that isn't as appealing though.

I like it better when the game has built in systems that I work within and around.

See that's what you're failing to understand. The issue isn't with the mere existance with the stamina meter, the issue is with how its implemented. It's with how quickly it drains and how it recovers that makes it truly annoying. It honestly feels like my three year old niece can run longer than link can without having to stop and catch her breath.

If that life bar had you dying if weak enemies in the game hit you one or two times, and forced you into say, wearing super heavy armor that forces you into playing the game in a way that you find tedious and annoying, you'd probably have a problem with that too.

So your opinion is goldstandard and Nintendos gold standard is a mere opinion?

There are games that have you die on one or two hits. And there are people who find that enjoyable. So why you can't let them have this fun and see as it is: your opinion is that the stamina-meter in BotW is too restricting. That is fair. You have to accept that other people feel different.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

This is as pathetic as the petition that called for the Washington's Post's review on Uncharted 4 to be removed from Metacritic. Dissenting opinions happen all the time and while you don't agree with them, that doesn't warrant doing something like a DDOS attack. I read Jim's review and I don't agree with many of his points, but I'm not going to go out of my way to make things miserable for him. That's just petty.

To sum the review up he never really played the game, didn't bother to understand the core gameplay mechanics and criticizes weapon durability, limited stamina, draw distance, voice acting, cooking mechanics, menu usability, Amiibo DLC, unexciting bosses and mundane tasks. He also criticizes the game for not being Dark Souls but still being too difficult.

I agree with some of his points and also think the game is overrated but not that much overrated. I would give it at least a 8.5/10 personally.

sc94597 said:
Mar1217 said:

Wait ? What ?! 

He tested the game a bit here and there between other games before the 9th, but he did not dedicate any real play time until about March 9th, rushing through the story between the 9th and the 11th (when he beat it.) Hence his complaint about shrines makes sense. He wanted to rush through the game so that he could give its predetermined review, but having to do shrines made that harder. 

As others have said, they saw all of this coming before the actual review -- he telegraphed it on twitter and in his podcast.

So how much does he have to play the game before he can give an accurate review?

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

See that's what you're failing to understand. The issue isn't with the mere existance with the stamina meter, the issue is with how its implemented. It's with how quickly it drains and how it recovers that makes it truly annoying. It honestly feels like my three year old niece can run longer than link can without having to stop and catch her breath.

If that life bar had you dying if weak enemies in the game hit you one or two times, and forced you into say, wearing super heavy armor that forces you into playing the game in a way that you find tedious and annoying, you'd probably have a problem with that too.

So your opinion is goldstandard and Nintendos gold standard is a mere opinion?

There are games that have you die on one or two hits. And there are people who find that enjoyable. So why you can't let them have this fun and see as it is: your opinion is that the stamina-meter in BotW is too restricting. That is fair. You have to accept that other people feel different.

Yeah. That's enough posting for me for the rest of the day. Here we are both arguing the same point.

potato_hamster said:
sc94597 said:

He tested the game a bit here and there between other games before the 9th, but he did not dedicate any real play time until about March 9th, rushing through the story between the 9th and the 11th (when he beat it.) Hence his complaint about shrines makes sense. He wanted to rush through the game so that he could give its predetermined review, but having to do shrines made that harder. 

As others have said, they saw all of this coming before the actual review -- he telegraphed it on twitter and in his podcast.

So how much does he have to play the game before he can give an accurate review?

I personally think that reviewers at least have to complete the main story of a game to do so.

potato_hamster said:
sc94597 said:

Considering that multiple points in his review are factually wrong, enough to get the facts right at the very least. But I would argue that nonlinear, open world games need longer playtime because of how expansive their systems are. Nobody would take a review of Skyrim where all the person does is rush through the main quest in a day seriously, the same holds of Breath of the Wild. The game is not designed to be played linearly in a few sittings.

golfgt170 said:
potato_hamster said:

I personally think that reviewers at least have to complete the main story of a game to do so.

sc94597 said:

... uhh.... I mean... it says right there that he did.

well, some people really have no lives lol.