By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

specialk said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What exactly is stopping you from finding a raft and korok leaf to get to that island even if you could swim there with infinite stamina instead though?

I'll never understand how people think less choice is more fun. If you've got the choice you can still choose the option you'd have more fun with. Just because you can choose other easier methods doesn't mean you have to.

Nothing in theory of coruse. Would I though? Probably not.

By the same token they could completely take out life bars in games so that you could never die and I'd still have the freedom to count the number of hits I take and start over if I take too many. Somehow that isn't as appealing though.

I like it better when the game has built in systems that I work within and around.

See that's what you're failing to understand. The issue isn't with the mere existance with the stamina meter, the issue is with how its implemented. It's with how quickly it drains and how it recovers that makes it truly annoying. It honestly feels like my three year old niece can run longer than link can without having to stop and catch her breath.

If that life bar had you dying if weak enemies in the game hit you one or two times, and forced you into say, wearing super heavy armor that forces you into playing the game in a way that you find tedious and annoying, you'd probably have a problem with that too.

Around the Network

This is the same douche that says it is morally right to pirate all Nintendo games.

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

Excuse me viv. Nintendo thinks the game is more fun with stamina and weapon durability systems that function as they do in Breath of the Wild. Therefore it is more fun that way. Period. Your definition of fun is wrong if you find these systems as they are implemented and displayed to be arbitrary, immersion breaking, or annoying.  They can't be improved upon, their implementation is literally perfect, and you cannot possibly disagree without being objectively wrong.

Nintendo has set the gold standard for weapon durability and stamina systems in all games going forward. Deal with it.

(On a more serious note,  it saddens me that I'm no longer surpised at the arrogance many video game fans display in regards to personal preference, and the lack of respect they show for others point of view)

Sorry, I gave vivster multiple times the hand declaring his opinion his opinion and that other people do have other opinions. vivster decided he know the gold standard of defining what fun is for everyone. And you spin it so hard that seemingly now other people that allow for different opinions are the single-minded ones. My head hurts about that much spinning.

This all started with you giving viv shit for having an opinion that differs from yours, not vice versa. You're the one showing the lack of respect for Viv's point of view.

Reviews in general are pretty subjective to what the reviewer puts value in... If you usually agree with Jim in what he thinks about most games that he reviews then your gaming values are probably in line with his opinions. But just from what I've played of BoTW and knowing what he has given other Zelda games in the past let alone XCX. I can't help but think that this was a review to be on the edgier side of the map.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and in the end it shouldn't deter people from enjoying the game!

Typical fanboy action... And 7/10 isn't even a bad score, it looks like a realistic opinion to me. Remember when the Uncharted 4 4/10 score happened from Washington Post? That was really an unrealistic score, but 7/10 is not that far away from reality like the Washington Post review of Uncharted 4.

Around the Network

It happens. Can't really do much when 12 year olds can get easy access to ddos tools

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

specialk said:
potato_hamster said:

Excuse me viv. Nintendo thinks the game is more fun with stamina and weapon durability systems that function as they do in Breath of the Wild. Therefore it is more fun that way. Period. Your definition of fun is wrong if you find these systems as they are implemented and displayed to be arbitrary, immersion breaking, or annoying.  They can't be improved upon, their implementation is literally perfect, and you cannot possibly disagree without being objectively wrong.

Nintendo has set the gold standard for weapon durability and stamina systems in all games going forward. Deal with it.

(On a more serious note,  it saddens me that I'm no longer surpised at the arrogance many video game fans display in regards to personal preference, and the lack of respect they show for others point of view)

Lol, where does this come from?

My last sentence begins, "If you didn't enjoy it, that's your perogative of course". My first sentence begins, "It's all a matter of opinion of course".

i mean, that's it I guess. Clearly my post was directed at you specifically. Of course. It couldn't possibly be directed at anyone else.

Based on his review history, he seems to just be scoring games the opposite of mainstream to drive attention and get traffic. Well, now he has traffic so he should be happy.

Mar1217 said:
sc94597 said:
If this is truly a DDOS attack and not his servers having trouble handling site traffic, then I think that is a stupid reaction. I am highly critical of his review because 1. It has misfacts and hyperbole, 2. He played the game for two days. 3. He obviously went into playing with the mindset of being contrary and intending to rile people rather than to give an impartial, unswayed opinion, hence he conjures misfacts which somebody who hasn't player the game won't realize are misfacts. Having said that, giving him more attention just feeds him. My response was to click the unsubscribe button on YouTube and move on.

Wait ? What ?! 

He tested the game a bit here and there between other games before the 9th, but he did not dedicate any real play time until about March 9th, rushing through the story between the 9th and the 11th (when he beat it.) Hence his complaint about shrines makes sense. He wanted to rush through the game so that he could give its predetermined review, but having to do shrines made that harder. 

As others have said, they saw all of this coming before the actual review -- he telegraphed it on twitter and in his podcast.

Not surprising at all :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]