By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Main-Series Pokémon Games Will Be On Nintendo Switch

Where will Pokémon go?

Nintendo Switch 167 73.89%

Unannounced Nintendo Handheld 31 13.72%

Mobile devices 7 3.10%

See results 21 9.29%

Total:226
StarDoor said:

From this, I think it's likely that Pokémon was one of the main factors in Nintendo deciding to design the Switch as a home console/handheld hybrid in the first place. Pokémon is the only first-party series that has never had a significant presence on Nintendo's home consoles, and it's also their second most-popular franchise. Game Freak always refused to make fully-fledged Pokémon games on Nintendo's consoles because it clashed with their design philosophy, but now Game Freak has exactly what they want: A console that lets people come together and battle/trade. I don't think it's a coincidence that Masuda was talking about this (how they'd consider a console Pokémon game if they could get people to gather and play together in-person) in January 2015, just three months before Nintendo first mentioned the NX.

Nope, other way around.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

Pokémon is the only first-party series that has never had a significant presence on Nintendo's home consoles, and it's also their second most-popular franchise.

Second most popular? I wouldn't say so, not today.

But yes, Pokémon is coming to the Switch, and it will be glorious.

What's more popular outside of Mario?

You don't think Pokemon is more popular than the combined collection of games under the Mario umbrella, do you?

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

You don't think Pokemon is more popular than the combined collection of games under the Mario umbrella, do you?

Well if you say standard Mario + Mario Kart + Smash, no.

But I do think Pokémon is more popular than Mario as a mainstream franchise. Maybe not as well known, but certainly more popular nowadays.

I don't think that anyone ever talks about "Mario" being more popular just talking about the main games. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right or wrong on that, though.

Just like 3ds successor, Pokemon on switch is just a hint, not a concrete plan. Or maybe just the fan's imagination. Cos after all those pokemon star leaks, none has been proven yet

zorg1000 said:
Ya, people who think 3DS is going to get its own seperate successor are in denial.

Pretty much this.

It is so funny they predicting the existence of an unannounced 3ds sucessor. They obviously want the switch to fail so they hope for nintendo to screw the things up. 

Desperation defines.

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

I don't think that anyone ever talks about "Mario" being more popular just talking about the main games. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right or wrong on that, though.

What I mean to say is that nowadays, although Mario is (probably) more well-known than Pokémon, I feel that as a whole people care more about Pokémon. The most obvious example is obviously Pokémon Go vs. Super Mario Run.

Edit: also, Pokémon seems to be the only Nintendo exclusive franchise that non-Nintendo gamers care about too. It's like, everytime I see Nintendo haters, they're always talking crap about Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong and such, but Pokémon never gets crap from them. If anything, I know plenty of people who aren't big on anything Nintendo but do love Pokémon and still play it to this day, even if only older titles.

I honestly think both Mario and pikachu are highly well known. Their merchandise is everywhere, and almost everyone knows it.

They're kind of like the Naruto and Dragon Ball of gaming. Even if people don't know anything about it, their popularity and recognition makes them known on some sort of scale. I don't think your example for Mario run vs pokemon go would work since Mario Run was hidden behind a paywall.

They probably aren't criticized for the same reason why they're so popular- the games are great. Anyone can play the games and become great at it, with a hidden layer of difficulty added to not make it too easy (Kirby gets crap for it)

lol mobile, you may aswell have put PS4/XB1/PC in the poll too!

We won't get Gen 8 until like, 2019-2020, until then, I think next year we'll get one last game for 3DS, and that's going to be Stars. At most, it'll be cross gen, I really don't see the 3rd Gen 7 game being Switch exclusive.

Einsam_Delphin said:
lol mobile, you may aswell have put PS4/XB1/PC in the poll too!

That was for curl.

The next pokemon game probably won't release on Switch? The reason is simple.

Nintendo and Gamefreak wants to sell games. Pokemon games on 3DS are selling 15 millions. There probably won' t even be 15 millions of Switch until end of 2019, if the Switch sells decently. It could be less.

The best the Switch can hope is 3DS ports.