By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Main-Series Pokémon Games Will Be On Nintendo Switch

Where will Pokémon go?

Nintendo Switch 167 73.89%

Unannounced Nintendo Handheld 31 13.72%

Mobile devices 7 3.10%

See results 21 9.29%

Total:226
Lucas-Rio said:
The next pokemon game probably won't release on Switch? The reason is simple.

Nintendo and Gamefreak wants to sell games. Pokemon games on 3DS are selling 15 millions. There probably won' t even be 15 millions of Switch until end of 2019, if the Switch sells decently. It could be less.

The best the Switch can hope is 3DS ports.

3D Mario did 10 million on 3DS, guess they should also put the next 3D Mario game on it aswell, oh and Smash, and Mario Kart, and lolz.

The problem with that logic is you kinda need games to sell a system in the first place. Then there's other factors being the 3DS's limited hardware holding the games back and the Pokemon audience being well on the system already so new games for it won't move much hardware.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Nintendo and Gamefreak wants to sell games. Pokemon games on 3DS are selling 15 millions. There probably won' t even be 15 millions of Switch until end of 2019, if the Switch sells decently. It could be less.

3D Mario did 10 million on 3DS, guess they should also put the next 3D Mario game on it aswell, oh and Smash, and Mario Kart, and lolz.

The problem with that logic is you kinda need games to sell a system in the first place. Then there's other factors being the 3DS's limited hardware holding the games back and the Pokemon audience being well on the system already so new games for it won't move much hardware.

I say Gamefreak would rather sell 15 millions on 3DS than sell 3 millions on Switch and moving 1 million of Switch.

Pokemon has always been on handheld, Switch games we have seen are ALL home console type. It's replacing the Wii U very clearly and Nintendo is stating this clearly.

Lucas-Rio said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I say Gamefreak would rather sell 15 millions on 3DS than sell 3 millions on Switch and moving 1 million of Switch.

Pokemon has always been on handheld, Switch games we have seen are ALL home console type. It's replacing the Wii U very clearly and Nintendo is stating this clearly.

Pokemon selling only 3 million? Even quite a few Wii U games have surpassed that. I'm sorry but it's pretty laughably that you think the juggernaut that is Pokemon could ever perform that poorly. That's not even considering the hype it would get from being the first HD Pokemon game playable on TV.

It's safe to say no one cares about whether a game is "handheld type" or "home console type." That certainly hasn't stopped any series from being successful after changing platform types, namely the MANY series that started on home consoles that are now on handhelds, and because of that, a lot of 3DS games were already what you'd consider "home console type" anyway. That along with what it's replacing don't matter, if it has Pokemon, it will be bought!

If a Pokemon main games will be released on the Switch, with updated visuals, the Switch will go through the roof leaving earth.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Lucas-Rio said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

The Switch will get Shin Megami Tensei (which was exclusive for the 3DS), Fire Emblem (ditto, Nintendo even said the franchise wasn't big enough to justify a release on home consoles anymore) and Project Octopath Travellers (developers of Bravely Default and Bravely Second).

It's pretty clear that the Switch will get both home console and handheld type of games. Besides, only Nintendo is allowed to publish Pokémon titles, Gamefreak can't keep relying on the 3DS forever. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:

I actually agree that the next Pokemon game will probably be 3DS exclusive.  If you look at Pokemon's history, the earliest the mainline series made its debut on a Nintendo handheld was probably Pokemon Gold & Silver for the Gameboy Color (1 year).  It typically takes Gamefreak two years before they move onto Nintendo's next platform so if I had to guess, the next mainline Pokemon will come in 2019 like you said.  I think Nintendo can provide enough big 1st party releases in 2017 and 2018 to cover for themselves until Pokemans arrival.

mZuzek said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Have you even read the OP?

Pokémon has always been on handhelds because Game Freak wanted the games to be about going out and interacting with others, and such. They wouldn't mind making a Pokémon game for a home console if that home console was one that allowed those things to happen - and the Switch does.

Also, I highly doubt Game Freak has full control of where they can put their Pokémon games. I'm sure if it's 2020 and they still want to make 3DS games, Nintendo wouldn't allow them to and instead force them to make something for newer systems.

And lol 3 million and moving 1 million Switches. There is absolutely, 100% definitely no chance of that happening within the foreseeable future. A HD mainline Pokémon game on the Switch would not only do very well software-wise as Pokémon always has (10m+ guaranteed), it would likely move a shit ton of Switch consoles and bring unbelievable hype around the system. That's just how it is.

Do you think Pokémon has always sold well on handhelds because there were big userbases? I don't really think so. Pokémon was always a big system seller, and likely the main reason why the 3DS has actually sold anything beyond 30m. I know I definitely never knew anyone that owned a Game Boy before Red/Blue, neither did I know anyone with a DS before Diamond/Pearl. The 3DS's first big year was 2013, which is when it got its first Pokémon game.

It is true Game Freak likes to stick to their current userbases for longer than other developers (such as Nintendo) usually do. However, they always reach a point where they know they have to move on to the latest hardware, and it's not going to be any different now. The 3DS will at most get the last 7th generation games, and then it'll be done.

You can argue it like you want, but there is only one fact:

Pokemon would sold much more on 3DS than on Switch. Do you believe that Pokemon Sun/Moon would have sold 15 millions on Wii U? You are badly mistaken.

Pokemon on a failing and overpriced console = sales slashed by two or four. Talks about Pokemon on Switch are greatly premature and if it selling like the Wii U, the new handheld will come and take the prize.

Alkibiádēs said:
Lucas-Rio said:

The Switch will get Shin Megami Tensei (which was exclusive for the 3DS), Fire Emblem (ditto, Nintendo even said the franchise wasn't big enough to justify a release on home consoles anymore) and Project Octopath Travellers (developers of Bravely Default and Bravely Second).

It's pretty clear that the Switch will get both home console and handheld type of games. Besides, only Nintendo is allowed to publish Pokémon titles, Gamefreak can't keep relying on the 3DS forever. 

Fire Emblem is a home console serie and the 3DS is also getting a new game. Wii U not getting fire emblem was the anomaly.

If the Switch is the same flop than the Wii U, then yes, Nintendo will keep relying on the 3DS and then after its true and rightful successor.

Lucas-Rio said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Fire Emblem is a home console serie and the 3DS is also getting a new game. Wii U not getting fire emblem was the anomaly.

If the Switch is the same flop than the Wii U, then yes, Nintendo will keep relying on the 3DS and then after its true and rightful successor.

No, it's not an anomaly. Nintendo said that HD development was too expensive to put Fire Emblem on a home console. They quite clearly view the Switch as both a home console and handheld. Besides, the franchise is clearly more popular on handheld than home console. 

The 3DS is 6 years old, just let it go already man, it's getting sad. $300 is not expensive for something that lasts 5+ years lol. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Lucas-Rio said:

No, it's not an anomaly. Nintendo said that HD development was too expensive to put Fire Emblem on a home console. They quite clearly view the Switch as both a home console and handheld. Besides, the franchise is clearly more popular on handheld than home console. 

The 3DS is 6 years old, just let it go already man, it's getting sad. $300 is not expensive for something that lasts 5+ years lol. 

300$ + 30*6 = 480.... Not even talking about the price of the games....

The Switch is overpriced to the limits. I expect Nintendo to take a hard blow on the market with it following the first months. And they will be happy to have the 3DS generating income if the Switch fails. Never put all your eggs in the same basket.

Pokemon has great online functionnality, and it would be bad to put a paywall on it. It would divide the fanbase when on 3DS it's free and user friendly.