By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Main-Series Pokémon Games Will Be On Nintendo Switch

Where will Pokémon go?

Nintendo Switch 167 73.89%

Unannounced Nintendo Handheld 31 13.72%

Mobile devices 7 3.10%

See results 21 9.29%

Total:226

It seems that a lot of people are convinced that Nintendo is going to make a 3DS successor that will get Pokémon games instead of the Switch, or that Game Freak is going to make Pokémon games for mobile. While I was thinking about this, I remembered an interview from two years ago where Junichi Masuda commented on why Pokémon isn't on home consoles:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/01/27/nintendo-still-wont-make-pokemon-home-consoles

"But there are a lot of people who want a home console version, we know. Especially now with internet features that let people battle and trade. But the way that handhelds allow people to come together... if we could figure out a way to make that happen on consoles it would be an option on the future, but right now that’s just not possible. If you've ever been in the audience at the Pokémon World Championships, that's my ideal for Pokémon, all these people gathering together and playing with each other. If there were a way that a console could enable that, it might be an option, but right now, handheld it is."

From this, I think it's likely that Pokémon was one of the main factors in Nintendo deciding to design the Switch as a home console/handheld hybrid in the first place. Pokémon is the only first-party series that has never had a significant presence on Nintendo's home consoles, and it's also their second most-popular franchise. Game Freak always refused to make fully-fledged Pokémon games on Nintendo's consoles because it clashed with their design philosophy, but now Game Freak has exactly what they want: A console that lets people come together and battle/trade. I don't think it's a coincidence that Masuda was talking about this (how they'd consider a console Pokémon game if they could get people to gather and play together in-person) in January 2015, just three months before Nintendo first mentioned the NX.

Around the Network

It's only a matter of time of when Pokémon comes to the Switch. The 3DS definitely wont get a generation 8 Pokemon, it might not even get a 2nd, generation 7 game and even if Nintendo did ever make a new handheld it would only be if the Switch sold worse than the Wii U and it still wouldn't be released anytime soon.

It's a no brainer. It would sell like hot pancakes and they know it.

Ya, people who think 3DS is going to get its own seperate successor are in denial.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Not surprising, nintendo would make a big mistake not putting a mainline pokemon game on the switch.

Around the Network

Of course they will. Can't wait to see what they do graphically with all that horsepower compared to what they had with 3DS.

Worst case scenario is that there's a third entry into the seventh gen that stays exclusive to the 3DS and Game Freak waits until the next gen for the mainline series to make its Switch debut.

YES IT MUST BE ON THE SWITCH

Pokemon stars is basically confirmed at this point. It was also from Eurogamer who are very reliable. But it might be a dual release, which would be the last Pokemon game on the 3DS.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It would be a great move for the switch but i don't know if it is good for Nintendo.

If Nintendo uses the switch as both it's home and portable console then they risk alienating part of their handheld market due to obvious marketing implications, and they will lose income from selling a second console.

If Nintendo does go that route it seems to me that they have given up on having a successful home console, and that they believe that it is the best way to compete with mobile phones when it comes to the portable market.

The 3ds isn't doing anywhere near the DS, but it's still a very successful piece of hardware, such a move by Nintendo says that they are not confident in a 3ds successor.

Only way i see the switch being better for Nintendo then two separate console and handheld consoles is if it does 100 million plus.