By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation may win many battles, But Windows will win the war.

AsGryffynn said:
NATO said:
And yet by moving towards PC Microsoft would actually be killing Xbox off and reducing it to nothing but branding, where as PlayStation if still around at that point would be its own thing.

The fact of the matter is that PlayStation is more popular than Xbox, and if your only defense against that reality is to try and rope in windows as a viable comparative platform you are doing nothing but conceeding the fact of PlayStation being more popular.

Inside out opinion as usual. Xbox will not go anywhere. Both brands coexist specifically because no matter what happens, people will always want a console that is not Japanese... 

Didn't read your reply fully as the first line alone set off my "will reduce your IQ if read in full" alarm.

Around the Network

It works both ways. If a $300 PC will be equal to a $2000 pc like you say in future then chances are you can buy a console for an even cheaper price and just as powerful.

It will come in the box and ready to play straight away. No hassle. Just very convenient..

Personally I don't think pc or consoles are going anywhere for a while.

Fei-Hung said:
I wonder how much business Google can take away from MS Office. Ever since I discovered Google Drive, sheets, docs etc I've not bothered going back to office. It's easy to use at home and in the go and best of all its free.

Sony has already lost to competition on the TV, portable music and laptop front. It will be interesting to see how MS react if Office took a hit.

As for battle and war on the console side of things, MS has pretty much most every battle since they entered the war. Their war on the PC front again is going bad against Steam.

Of you are talking about their OS then it's began Linux, MAC and Windows more so than Sony and MS.

How is Google Docs with special templates?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Barkley said:
jonathanalis said:

CG, mispeling. xD sorry. Meant, visuals indistinguable from disney animations...

But i disagree. bottleneck is input lag. None interactive entertainment would be good enough depending on your internet lag. Streaming works well for no interactive entertainment.

Also, why would i need to get stream from anything if a small device (a chromecast sized dongle, or maybe just the controller) can handle anything?

In 20 years or more years, id bet that Playstation x would be the controller only. The games would run there, and be transmitted to the tv(tv and controller would still be needed). Or a switch like solution for embracing also handheld gaming.

A larger device of the same power will always be cheaper, input lag for cloud gaming is already a non-issue for the majority of genres with an ideal setup. As technology advances and the infrastructure with it I think a cloud future is much more likely then a locally powered machine.

Everything will run on nearly any device, because the device you are using isn't powering the software. Consumers can pay for what they want, when they want it. Rather then having to pay an initial investment of $300+ to get started, and then another investment when that device is replaced.

Businesses will be able to monetize their products in a more cost effective way and have greater control over their services as well.

Im thinking in 20 or 30 years in future. Things are getting cheaper and powerfull. Visual quality is improving much faster for small devices.

Lets imagine a future scenario, where you have 3 options:

-Think that a normal playstation controller is 60$, and it has processing power for running 8k games with its 20tflops. You can play games at these configurations only needing the controller, and a TV, nothing more.

-And the 300$ big boxes runs 500 tflops. It offer better visuals, but you would only notice if you have a tv at size of your wall, and sitting close to it.

-Now if you decide to go streaming from the big box, youd not buy the 300$ box, but would pay the subscription and a 60$ controller. Same 500tflops power and visuals from the box.

I think first option is the most viable, cheaper and visually great enough to 99% of people. Streaming would be the second choice though. But it cant beat the first choice for small visual upgrade. Also, would have other options, mid end(100 tflops) machines, or high end 2000$+ 2000 teraflops. but the visuals wouldnt be game changing in any of them...

NATO said:
AsGryffynn said:

Inside out opinion as usual. Xbox will not go anywhere. Both brands coexist specifically because no matter what happens, people will always want a console that is not Japanese... 

Didn't read your reply fully as the first line alone set off my "will reduce your IQ if read in full" alarm.

Then you will need a translator, because you are unable to read opinions. Like it or not, Xbox will stay come hail or rain. At this point, the decision to terminate Xbox is a decision resting on MS and must be done officially. 

Windows 10 and Xbox are similar and not the same thing. 

And I still prefer Xbox to the other two. I doubt that will change since the other two are considerably worse... 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
exclusive_console said:

Many people feel PC gaming is already bigger than console. Hence Microsoft have taken back seat on console and releasing all games on PC now. I am not sure how much money PC software makes in comparison to consoles.

When it comes to traditional games ($60 buy the game, play the game) console definitely exceeds PC. Here's the figures for 2015 from Superata:

PC: £22.5 Billion

Consoles: £17.6 Billion

So that may seem to suggest PC's are the bigger market, however £12 Billion of the PC figure is from FTP MMO's, and £5.6 Billion is from Facebook Games and other Social Network Games. Leaving only £4.9 Billion for your more traditional, buy the game play the game titles.

So PC is bigger including FTP and Social, but for the rest console is far bigger.

Though with the increasing adoption of FTP and MMO's on consoles that gap could potentially decrease.

Wow MMO's and Facebook games more than conventional games on PC :O Steam sales and usually cheaper games on PC along with free online makes PC gaming an attractive option but at the same time this just proves that console gaming will exist forever as it is an important market for publisher, devs and console manufacture.

That's like saying "Windows may win many battles but Apple will win the war." They're not comparable.

Windows or Android, whatever, in this scenario where one of them basically rules all, and let's say 20 years down the road, PSN will fully take the place of the console, and PS will have to invest their money into the service and games. More options for online media, more first party studios/titles (new or purchasing third party studios and their titles), third party exclusivity to PS Plus members, indy titles, etc.

MS saw this coming and created Live for that core reason. This is also why MS is pushing so hard to buy their games online. PS soon realized the same thing and went to work on PSN. This is also the core reason for charging for PS Plus, because your going to have to, down the road eventually, just to play PS games, and PS will be relying on that income since there won't be any from a console.

In 20 years, the population that can get a 5mbps dsl/cable connection now, will be able to get a 1000mbps fiber connection for the same price. The people who can game online now, will be able to fully game (always online) then. You wouldn't specifically need to stream either, just have the games written like they are now for PC so no matter what hardware you have, you can run the game (as long as it meets the min requirements). As long as you are logged into the PSN network, your game works, just like how XB1 was supposed to work initially to prevent pirating.

Then again, tech might be so cheap by that point, and TV's so cheap, they might be able to build a PS8 right into the Sony TV, so you don't even need a separate console or laptop/PC.

PS4 is winning the battle? I don't think PS4 has outsold Windows 10. So it is losing the Battle and the War.

AsGryffynn said:
NATO said:

Then you will need a translator, because you are unable to read opinions. Like it or not, Xbox will stay come hail or rain. At this point, the decision to terminate Xbox is a decision resting on MS and must be done officially. 

Windows 10 and Xbox are similar and not the same thing. 

And I still prefer Xbox to the other two. I doubt that will change since the other two are considerably worse... 

Whatever makes you feel better about Xbox being outsold 2:1 man.