By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation may win many battles, But Windows will win the war.

A lot of people on here talking about gaming in 20 years, and not talking about VR. We have already reached the pinical of traditional controllers and displays. Games like Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Halo, and Mario, will just be more polished versions of what they are right now in 20 years. There is nothing else that can be done to make these games better in the traditional set up.

Where there is massive potential for gaming is VR, Motion Controls, Motion Tracking, and Sensor Feedback. This is the kind of stuff that is going to keep consoles going for a long time. VR is not possible on streaming services right now, and it won't be possible for a very long time.

We still have a long way to go before we reach 8K HDR VR at 120fps in every game. Once we reach that we will be looking at something that goes beyond VR/AR. Where that is I don't know, Holodeck? Consoles will be around for a very long time. The need for low cost, compact, PC's with custom chipsets is not going away where soon.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
PS4 is winning the battle? I don't think PS4 has outsold Windows 10. So it is losing the Battle and the War.

So many xbox and windows 10 gamer but nearly every game is selling better on playstation :( why don't they buy more games?

The average person wants convenience, if computers can over come what puts most casuals off then it stands a good chance. Most people want to plug in and play. My gfs mum for example loves using the playstation but i had to teach her 5 times on how to turn it off with a controller lol. So even consoles are becoming to hard for some xD

You the kinda dad that bought his kid a 3000 in 1 block games instead of a gameboy :^)

Shadow1980 said:
GProgrammer said:
Technological improvements are greatly slowing down, in 20 years time the improvements will be far less than they were 20 years ago.
Eg take the earliest and the latest fastest common Intel processor of the i7 line.
Core i7-975 Extreme Edition released June 2009 6199 passmark CPU score
Core i7-7700K released January 2017 12196 passmark CPU score

In 8 years performance hasn't even doubled, maybe in 20 years time performance will have doubled again

The fastest Intel Processor from 20 years ago
Pentium II 300 I dont know what its passmark score is, probably about 20

Even GPU power growth has slowed. The N64's GPU was rated at 100 MFLOPs, while 10 years later the 360's GPU was rated at 240 GFLOPs, a 2400 times increase. Fast-forward another decade and you have the PS4 Pro with a 4.2 TFLOP GPU, only a 17.5x increase over the 360's GPU. I think the most powerful GPU today is rated at something like 12 TFLOPs, only a 50x increase over the 360's. To get the kind of increase we saw from the N64 to the 360, we would have to have seen something well past the 100 TFLOP mark. Now, there might have been GPUs out there a good bit more powerful than the N64's, and they were probably designed differently than the ones today. But still, we're talking about something that can be put in a roughly $400 box ($260 in 1996 dollars), and we're also talking three orders of magnitude from '96 to '06, but only one order of magnitude between '06 and '16.

No matter what, be it population sizes or economies or compound interest or computing power, exponential growth into perpetuity is impossible. The growth curve flattens out and becomes sigmoid in the long run. Computers will likely continue to grow in power over time, but the rate of growth we've seen over the past few decades will not simply keep happening. Gordon Moore himself admitted "It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push them out and eventually disaster happens." There are always limits to growth. Always.

What this means for video games is anyone's guess. Graphics, which have always been the primary beneficiary of increases in computing power throughout the history of video games, still have plenty of room for improvement. Better anti-aliasing (still seeing bad aliasing this gen), better draw distances (still seeing a lot of texture pop this gen), better lighting, better textures, and better animation, all at higher resolutions and faster, stabler frame rates (visually superb games running at 4K & 60 fps being a nearer term goal) are still to come. But diminishing returns are a very real thing, and eventually it'll get to the point of squeezing blood out of the proverbial turnip.

This does have potential implications for the console market. Namely, it is a highly cyclical market dependent on regular refreshes to keep total hardware sales strong, hence the existence of discrete console generations (since 2002, combined PS+Xbox sales in the U.S. have remained above 9M each year except for 2005 & 2012, and averaged over 10.6M annually in the past 15 years). But will the cycle continue at a healthy level if the increases in power each generation and their associated benefits are perceived to be insufficient? Or will the advances still be enough to justify the cycle continuing? If not, then what?

This applies to more than gaming. It applies to virtually everything. This is exactly why I said we are nearing the end of console generations. The amount of overhead has died and will not be growing bigger soon. When there might be walls to what we want, whoever advanced last wins. 

Around the Network
NATO said:
AsGryffynn said:

Then you will need a translator, because you are unable to read opinions. Like it or not, Xbox will stay come hail or rain. At this point, the decision to terminate Xbox is a decision resting on MS and must be done officially. 

Windows 10 and Xbox are similar and not the same thing. 

And I still prefer Xbox to the other two. I doubt that will change since the other two are considerably worse... 

Whatever makes you feel better about Xbox being outsold 2:1 man.

And why will being outsold make my experiences "lesser" which seems to be what your message (which did threaten to lower my intellectual power but I made it) you are so intent on sending. 

As far as I know, people are in the wrong here. Like someone else, you seem to believe more sales are the result of worse competitor. Popularity doesn't work in gaming. Sales isn't better. Sales implies throwing more money on something and that something being more important. 

If Xbox falls, MS will shrug it off. If Nintendo and the PS fall, then Sony will be in trouble... 

Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:
PS4 is winning the battle? I don't think PS4 has outsold Windows 10. So it is losing the Battle and the War.

Actually it may well have done. Free upgrades aren't sales...

Windows 8 ended up selling through 240 million units. Given it ended a while ago and more people bought it, well... 

On early term we will have VR that requires alot of horsepower if you want to push 16k per eye plus all the life like physics and graphics simulation games will attempt.

On the long tem when we connect our brains directly to the computers to create matrix like simulations that will need alot of horsepower. You won't need windows , you will need a new life simulating operating system yet to be invented. The machine will start big and will slowly get miniaturized because of so much horsepower needed.
Also, bear in mind the Moore's Law is no longer a reality and with each new year the current iterations of processor will not be able to achieve the power increase we came accustomed on our lifetime. We are getting to the atoms limit, and there will need a technological shift and is predicted that we will never have the same exponential processing power increase ever again.

Also, when we transfer our concious to computers, people will want the latest computer to be the vehicle for their avatars, the fastest as possible to move the android artificial body that will serve a vector with the physical world. Altough I think most of the people will be satisfied living only on the virtual world ignoring the real world requirement of android artificial body and living on the cheaper option as just a councious being on the simulation grid created.

You can't spell Windows without "win".

PlayStation will probably lose "the war", but it's not Microsoft that is going to win. Probably Google or Facebook or some other big company will release a viable Windows alternative and we all will jump on that. I doubt it's going to be Microsoft though, they are completely out of touch with consumer markets and make way too much money on business customers to care anyway. It's the same with Bing or Windows Mobile, they don't have anymore the long term vision you need to dominate outside of business related markets. I also think they're going to be even more successful with focusing only on their core competencies.