By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation may win many battles, But Windows will win the war.

i'm sorry but i think you have it completely backwards.

i am a 0 pc household now.  i used to have one but i just don't need one anymore.

i have a:

1. smartphone
 2. tablet
 3. console

with those i can do gaming, music, photos, tv, email, web browsing.  photos was the last thing that had me keep a pc in the household as i needed a place to store them.  last year i officially moved everything to google photos and all my devices (wife too) are linked to a centralized account.  

these devices are WAAAAAAAY easier to use then a pc to do the things i care about.  

there was a time i needed a pc to manage odd things here and there.  for instance i got my father-in-law a gps.  i needed a PC to download and update maps.  well those things are not supporting PC so much anymore and instead are supporting mobile devices.  

my car interfaces with my iphone but not with a pc.  
my kid's video monitor interfaces with my iphone but not with a pc.
my wife wants to get a nest thermostat.  i don't have one so i guess i don't know if it supports pc but my wife wants it so she can control the heat remotely from her iphone.

from my perspective pc is only useful in the productivity space (aka workplace).  i can't see myself ever buying a pc again.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Turkish said:
So you copy pasted what analysts predicted about mobiles becoming the future and replaced Androids and iOS with Windows.

lulz

If anything, Windows is on the way out, mobiles are becoming more and more powerful, they will fully replace desktops and laptops. To prevent that MS is desperately trying to put Windows on mobiles with little success.

In 20 years you will have desktops with Android on it rather than Windows.

I don't see mobile device completely replacing Windows, especially for avid gamers and business environments. Atleast not in 20 years.

I mean given PCs aren't compact devices they will generally be the place for cutting edge specs. There is still plenty of demand for laptops and tablets running Windows. People thought Linux would replace Windows but it hasn't happened, Valve couldn't even make it a relevant gaming platform.

In a nutshell, competing devices have a long way to go to kill WIndows and MS will work to keep Windows relevant. I'll be surprised if Xbox doesn't turn into a Windows device at some point.

Xbox turns into a windows device ? Isn't that called a PC where you can play games and do other task like email, browsing, MS office etc ...

exclusive_console said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't see mobile device completely replacing Windows, especially for avid gamers and business environments. Atleast not in 20 years.

I mean given PCs aren't compact devices they will generally be the place for cutting edge specs. There is still plenty of demand for laptops and tablets running Windows. People thought Linux would replace Windows but it hasn't happened, Valve couldn't even make it a relevant gaming platform.

In a nutshell, competing devices have a long way to go to kill WIndows and MS will work to keep Windows relevant. I'll be surprised if Xbox doesn't turn into a Windows device at some point.

Xbox turns into a windows device ? Isn't that called a PC where you can play games and do other task like email, browsing, MS office etc ...

It probably sounds dumb, but take into consideration how easy that would make game development for Xbox. If a PC version exist, it could easily be an Xbox game. Vice versa as well. MS could also make it easier to put games on the digital marketplace kinda like Steam.

As long as Xbox feels like a console (console interface) and its relatively cheap, it doesn't matter what's really happening under the hood.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

TBH I am not sure Xbone problem is the OS. DDR3 ram is just slow these days for gaming and 32mb esram used by gpu is probably the problem unlike unified memory like PS4. PS3 problem was also the hardware. SDK, drivers can and were improved but the main problem was complexity in hardware.