By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation may win many battles, But Windows will win the war.

Intrinsic said:
Emperorbach said:
that steam won the wars cause windows is a pretty mid service

Well, steam ins on windows, so........

seen intels skull canyon PC? Now imagine in 20yrs being able to buy something like that for as little as $200 but with 30 times the GPU powerof what we have today. You get that, which means you have a windows PC and of course steam.

the windows makes no profit off steamlol 

windos game service is so poor , well was but theyve turned off the community 

so its steam winning

STEAM

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
You say streaming isn't the answer but don't go into any detail about why.

Also why are you assuming people will have no need for a console 20 years from now but fully think laptops and home computers will still be going strong?

Its honestly just an opinion. I think streaming won't be the answer because unlike movie streaming.... game streaming requires a lot more hardware muscle than what is required to handle a movie stream. Significantly more. 

And I didn't go onto details on that because thats not what this thread is about. This thread is about a simple theory that consoles won't be where or how we are playing our games in 20/30yrs. 

Feel free to make your cse for streaming.

Emperorbach said:
Intrinsic said:

Well, steam ins on windows, so........

seen intels skull canyon PC? Now imagine in 20yrs being able to buy something like that for as little as $200 but with 30 times the GPU powerof what we have today. You get that, which means you have a windows PC and of course steam.

the windows makes no profit off steamlol 

windos game service is so poor , well was but theyve turned off the community 

so its steam winning

STEAM

This isn't about windows making a profit off games. Or windows community whatever. You are taking this to where it doesn't need to go.

Bottom line is that right now, probably over 80% of everyone using steam is using it on a windows operating system. 

Qwark said:

Any $400 pc can already run every third party game that releases on consoles and probably better too. But PC's will never be as easy accessible as a home console. It shows in this gen that Playstation and even Xbox are still very much desired products on the market. There are quite a few gens ahead of us before the name Playstation doesn't exist anymore in gaming. Handheld games are another story since mobile and tablet gaming is much more accessible for the average citizen.

Pros consoles have over PC's are accessibility, media player that you can easily hookup at your pc. Couch co-op without any hassle just plug and play. And by far theostrich important exclusive games and content.

Oh I am not saying this is going o happen in the next gen.... or even the one after that, or after that.

I am saying that eventually, say in the next 25-30 years. It will happen.

And the accessibility thing you are talking about? Thats really all just down to EoA that can be coded into any operating system. Nothing stops a laptop or PC or windows media box from detecting via USB C 5.0 that its been connected to a HDTV and switching to a completely different UI.

Yeah, that's what I would say if I was on the "losing" side of console gaming.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Also why are you assuming people will have no need for a console 20 years from now but fully think laptops and home computers will still be going strong?

Its honestly just an opinion. I think streaming won't be the answer because unlike movie streaming.... game streaming requires a lot more hardware muscle than what is required to handle a movie stream. Significantly more. 

And I didn't go onto details on that because thats not what this thread is about. This thread is about a simple theory that consoles won't be where or how we are playing our games in 20/30yrs. 

It is potentially very easy imagine only buying a controller a decent TV hook it up to a LAN connection and play games. Internet will be much faster in 30 years and the level of fidelity in games will be high enough for most people even when streaming. The average consolegamer doesn't give a damn about specs and just want to plug in and play games. A streaming service can provide better in that than most pc's which are still to complicated and incovinient for most consumers. Convinience has beaten specs in other media formats like movies and music (optical media is quality wise better than streaming or mp3).

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

power means nothing when it has no games. games sell consoles, and exclusives give incentive to own any particular platform.  in the end gamers win.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I wonder how much business Google can take away from MS Office. Ever since I discovered Google Drive, sheets, docs etc I've not bothered going back to office. It's easy to use at home and in the go and best of all its free.

Sony has already lost to competition on the TV, portable music and laptop front. It will be interesting to see how MS react if Office took a hit.

As for battle and war on the console side of things, MS has pretty much most every battle since they entered the war. Their war on the PC front again is going bad against Steam.

Of you are talking about their OS then it's began Linux, MAC and Windows more so than Sony and MS.

Intrinsic said:

I am saying that eventually, say in the next 25-30 years. It will happen.

If the things will go like they do now, then yes.  PS4 already is a branded PC.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Well a shitload can happen in 20-30 years, I'm sure alot of things that we currently take for granted were considered nearly impossible in the late 80s & early 90s.

Go back in time to 1987 and show people smartphones/tablets, social media, digital stores, VR headsets, 70" 4K TVs, self driving cars, music/video streaming, movies/games with cutting edge visuals.

You would absolutely blow their minds so it doesnt make much sense to say what can or cant happen 30 years from now.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.