By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation may win many battles, But Windows will win the war.

Areym said:

Yeah, that's what I would say if I was on the "losing" side of console gaming.

smh.... thats not what this is about at all....... and I should know being that the only primary gaming platform I have owned over the last 20yrs is a playstation.

deskpro2k3 said:

power means nothing when it has no games. games sell consoles, and exclusives give incentive to own any particular platform.  in the end gamers win.

Yes, games sells conoles. But what happens when sony has an audience of 1B gamers to potentially buy their game when they release it on steam? When thats what everyone is doing?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Its honestly just an opinion. I think streaming won't be the answer because unlike movie streaming.... game streaming requires a lot more hardware muscle than what is required to handle a movie stream. Significantly more. 

And I didn't go onto details on that because thats not what this thread is about. This thread is about a simple theory that consoles won't be where or how we are playing our games in 20/30yrs. 

Feel free to make your cse for streaming.

Well a shitload can happen in 20-30 years, I'm sure alot of things that we currently take for granted were considered nearly impossible in the late 80s & early 90s.

Go back in time to 1987 and show people smartphones/tablets, social media, digital stores, VR headsets, 70" 4K TVs, self driving cars, music/video streaming, movies/games with cutting edge visuals.

You would absolutely blow their minds so it doesnt make much sense to say what can or cant happen 30 years from now.

You do realize that you are saying the same thing I am saying right?

Unless this is just you wanting to argue....... I don't know what can happen in the next 30 years. But history can always tel you where we are going.

The original Super Mario Bros & Legend of Zelda were advanced games 30 years ago. Now we have Breath of the Wild & Super Mario Odyssey, imagine what 30 years from now we will have.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Well a shitload can happen in 20-30 years, I'm sure alot of things that we currently take for granted were considered nearly impossible in the late 80s & early 90s.

Go back in time to 1987 and show people smartphones/tablets, social media, digital stores, VR headsets, 70" 4K TVs, self driving cars, music/video streaming, movies/games with cutting edge visuals.

You would absolutely blow their minds so it doesnt make much sense to say what can or cant happen 30 years from now.

You do realize that you are saying the same thing I am saying right?

Unless this is just you wanting to argue....... I don't know what can happen in the next 30 years. But history can always tel you where we are going.

Not really, im saying its weird that you think streaming cant improve drastically in the next 30 years and that consoles will be gone but laptops will still be huge.

If consoles are replaced than why dont you think laptops will be as well?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:

Streaming isn't what will replace it, for all the same reasons streaming won't replace the need for a dedicated computer. 

I completely disagree, streaming is the future. It's convenient & cost effective for businesses, the infrastructure and technology just needs to get their to make it more widely accessible and a more consistent experience.

That's exactly where we're heading. PSNow is the early days it exists to test the technology and to learn, I doubt it's making a profit at the moment, but the experience is certainly going to help them develop and evolve a streaming service into the future.

I used LiquidSky recently also, a Windows 10 PC in the Cloud that can be used for gaming and... well anything a normal PC can. It worked wonderfully. Streaming is most definitely the future, simply because it'll make companies services and products more accessible and likely increase profit margins. For Businesses Cloud Services is a dream.

Around the Network

Why would you think it's Windows and not Android?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Intrinsic said:
Areym said:

Yeah, that's what I would say if I was on the "losing" side of console gaming.

smh.... thats not what this is about at all....... and I should know being that the only primary gaming platform I have owned over the last 20yrs is a playstation.

deskpro2k3 said:

power means nothing when it has no games. games sell consoles, and exclusives give incentive to own any particular platform.  in the end gamers win.

Yes, games sells conoles. But what happens when sony has an audience of 1B gamers to potentially buy their game when they release it on steam? When thats what everyone is doing?

You really think steam Will exist in 20-30 years smh.

And don't they already have a solution to that,that streaming thing in 20-30 streaming is going to be the norm,and they will give you an option to buy physicaly or digitally on there console,so they will have over 2-3 bilion potential buyers from people who own tv's,ps4/ps5 hell maybe even ps3 and how many more there are PC's and whatever else comes out next.

Sony has won and continues to win console gaming. They're sold the most consoles and the most software. I would not be shocked if Apple or Google were to buy Sony's gaming business within the next 5-7 years. The Playstation brand is very powerful.

Microsoft will not win mobile. Windows Phone was a colossal failure for Microsoft. They simply cannot compete with Android and iOS. Those two are the future.

RaidenChief88 said:
Sony has won and continues to win console gaming. They're sold the most consoles and the most software. I would not be shocked if Apple or Google were to buy Sony's gaming business within the next 5-7 years. The Playstation brand is very powerful.

Microsoft will not win mobile. Windows Phone was a colossal failure for Microsoft. They simply cannot compete with Android and iOS. Those two are the future.

Sony won't sell one of its most profitable divisions, period. Why on earth would it do so? And how is this at all related to the thread? The thread is basically about PC replacing consoles one powerful hardware is cheap enough, and you don't even mention PC?

PC gaming has been pulling me its way as of late away from console gaming and not because it's the most powerful but because of the sheer amount of options available on PC.

I can use whatever controller on PC that I please for example. If I wanted to use a DS3 or a WiiU Pro Controller for my gaming, I wouldn't need Sony or Nintendo's approval. The ultimate in backwards compatibility, unlimited modding, emulation, free online.

Consoles will stick around for people that can't be bothered with building a rig but for me, PC is calling my name.