By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 is PSVR's killer app.

I play everything (humble brag) https://youtu.be/nLSOaGoWxPE

I've been gaming since the mid 80's and recently one thing kinda frustrated me: People who dismiss VR without ever trying it. I've been a PSVR owner since day one and, while I've enjoyed it, I couldn't 100% recommend it to everyone. The $400 price tag seemed too risky when most of the games seemed gimmicky and others could cause motion sickness. RE7 has completely changed all of that.

A new era is upon us and, quite frankly, nothing else compares to it. The level of immersion, the ease of movement, it's next gen. I'd say it's right up there with the jump to 3D as far as gaming evolution goes.

You don't have to believe me. You don't have to even like first person games, Resident Evil, or Obama. All I'm saying is TRY IT OUT. This is what "next gen" feels like and my mind is boggling at the possibilities that consoles are capable of producing RIGHT NOW. 

Purchase 100% justified.

Around the Network

Is that the 43 or 49 inch X80d?

I am thinking of getting one but not sure about size.

Nice setup by the way.

tombi123 said:
Is that the 43 or 49 inch X80d?

I am thinking of getting one but not sure about size.

Nice setup by the way.

only the 43" model has a VA panel, which delievers better contrasts and deeper blacks meaning it produces better picture quality especially in dark environments

the advantage of IPS displays is their wider viewing angles (VA have color desaturation if you view them at an angle), so it's better for families and the difference in contrast isn't very noticeable in well lit rooms

i imagine it is..... price still needs to come down though

next gen?, people were playing similar horror games around 2013 with the DK =p. VR is an extra 'awesome' layer on game experiences. This game is a bit to niche, games like Skyrim/GTA/Fallout/Call of duty/Battlefield should also get an adaption to VR atleast on consoles.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I've been gaming since the mid 80's and recently one thing kinda frustrated me: People who dismiss VR without ever trying it. I've been a PSVR owner since day one and, while I've enjoyed it, I couldn't 100% recommend it to everyone. The $400 price tag seemed too risky when most of the games seemed gimmicky and others could cause motion sickness. RE7 has completely changed all of that.

A new era is upon us and, quite frankly, nothing else compares to it. The level of immersion, the ease of movement, it's next gen. I'd say it's right up there with the jump to 3D as far as gaming evolution goes.

You don't have to believe me. You don't have to even like first person games, Resident Evil, or Obama. All I'm saying is TRY IT OUT. This is what "next gen" feels like and my mind is boggling at the possibilities that consoles are capable of producing RIGHT NOW. 

Purchase 100% justified.

I fully agree. I also played almost every system since the mid '80s and own almost every system that plays video games since 5th gen.

I really enjoy any new system, but in a nutshell most games for the new systems get bigger and pretty, the rest stays the same. 

VR allows totally new experiences with a much better immersion (if it is done right), and Resident Evil 7 is the real deal... (I'm playing it the second day now).

I really hope that official Oculus Rift and Vive support is on its way, so that more people can play the game this way, fuck exclusives.

I'm really happy about the image quality improvements on the PSVR (combined with a PS4 Pro). I played the "Beginning hour"-demo last summer on the TV screen and the graphics felt dated. Then I played it in August at the last GamesCom with PSVR+PS4 and was disappointed due to the low resolution, jaggies and aliasing.

The December patch of the "Beginning hour"-demo fixed these resolution problems (at least on my PS4 Pro) and I didn't expect further improvements so close to the release. But the lighting and details of the release version are much better than in the updated demo!

That said... PSVR and PC VR need more of these games (and soon) to be a success. I'm waiting for Farpoint, which I also played on GamesCom and which was my best VR-experience so far... but where are the new VR announcements? There is also a lot of VR-crap both on PS4 and on PC, which gives VR a bad name. 

I'm weighing it up, you're a respectable user with honest posts so i know you aren't trying to push fanboy agenda's. What other titles would you recommend?

think-man said:
I'm weighing it up, you're a respectable user with honest posts so i know you aren't trying to push fanboy agenda's. What other titles would you recommend?

Dirt Rally gets a VR mode and so does the new Ace Combat. GT sports seems to get a decent VR node according to previews  (way better executed than Driveclub VR). So I would keep an eye on those titles, although I don't know how well those titles are going to implement VR.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

d21lewis said:

Purchase 100% justified.

Conina said:

I fully agree. I also played almost every system since the mid '80s and own almost every system that plays video games since 5th gen.

I really enjoy any new system, but in a nutshell most games for the new systems get bigger and pretty, the rest stays the same. 

VR allows totally new experiences with a much better immersion (if it is done right), and Resident Evil 7 is the real deal... (I'm playing it the second day now).

I really hope that official Oculus Rift and Vive support is on its way, so that more people can play the game this way, fuck exclusives.

I'm really happy about the image quality improvements on the PSVR (combined with a PS4 Pro). I played the "Beginning hour"-demo last summer on the TV screen and the graphics felt dated. Then I played it in August at the last GamesCom with PSVR+PS4 and was disappointed due to the low resolution, jaggies and aliasing.

The December patch of the "Beginning hour"-demo fixed these resolution problems (at least on my PS4 Pro) and I didn't expect further improvements so close to the release. But the lighting and details of the release version are much better than in the updated demo!

That said... PSVR and PC VR need more of these games (and soon) to be a success. I'm waiting for Farpoint, which I also played on GamesCom and which was my best VR-experience so far... but where are the new VR announcements? There is also a lot of VR-crap both on PS4 and on PC, which gives VR a bad name. 

You both nailed it.

VR is the next era of gaming.

RE7 is so far the best example of this.

Even though Resident Evil is not really my thing. I am really enjoying this game, and as d21lewis said, I am bursting with ideas about what can be done next in VR. Like Conina said, games on traditional displays have really reach their limit. Sure they will look prettier, and A.I. will slowly improve, but their is only so much that can be done with 20 year old tech.

I am already extreamly happy with PSVR, and it is easily the most exciting gaming device I have bought since the PS1 and N64. As I have said in other threads, I feel like PSVR is worth 10K more than the 75" Z9D I bought. Both products are great, but VR is truly on another level. We are basically going from Radio to TV, and 2D to 3D at the same time. 

Looking forward I can not wait for more big name games. After seeing what Driveclub VR could do just being thrown together, and what RE7 is doing with more polish, I can already tell Gran Turismo Sport is going to be amazing, especially on Pro. Farpoint looks like it is going to be a great FPS, which hopefully can top my PS Move Sharp Shooter + 3D time with Killzone 3. Finally, the latest footage of Ace Combat 7 looks unbelievable.

I hope we see more and more developers jumping on VR soon. GDC needs to have a huge VR focus. Games like Red Dead, Destiny, Madden, and MLB The Show could benefit greatly from VR. In all reality even stuff like God of War and The Last Of Us Part II would be massivly more impactful if they were playable in VR. You simply can not beat the way VR fully transports you into whatever you are watching or playing.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

PSVR is a good piece of kit with a few AAA games. Most of the games are fun small budget games that are crafted nicely for VR.

VR has done pretty well since the beginning of last year and if it can break out of the catch 22 situation it's in we will see more AAA games.

I think the VR install base is getting to the size where more and more publishers are willing to to spend bigger budgets on supporting it. If developers can implement VR into AAA games, like Resi 7 successfully without making it VR exclusive, could be the main directions publishers will want to go to support VR without taking huge risks.