By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 is PSVR's killer app.

SvennoJ said:
Madhouse difficulty is both awesome and incredibly frustrating. Not only are the opponents much tougher, and you die in 2 or 3 hits, there are also less resources, almost no checkpoints and you have a limited amount of saves. Which means, that even after finally passing a boss fight, you could still die half an hour later and go all the way back before it.

While sneaking around the house is amazing, the boss fights fall apart on madhouse difficulty. First one is a bullet sponge but doable. Second turns into pretty much using a silly exploit. Third one a laughable shuffle around the pillar until the timer runs out, then keep dying in stage 2. I can't get past that one, gave up after 7 or 8 tries. I needed a break of having to run all the way back every time, collect everything on the way again, craft stuff again, get through the first stage again, then get tangled up in the psvr cord and get out of play area warnings before dying again...

I figured playing standing up would help with faster turning after getting nowhere while sitting, however the game spins you around to face the wrong way every time you get caught. Plus in all the fast movement you start to wander from the center spot, which doesn't help as the game still registers hits where it thinks your body should be. You can duck and dodge all you want, the game doesn't care. The floating hands stay in the same place as does your hit zone. You also can't really see your health in VR and sideways and backwards movement is severely restricted.

The real frustrating thing is that apart from the boss fights, madhouse difficulty is awesome and ramps up the tension to the extreme. You need to know where to hide, what escape routes you have and crawl as quietly as possible through the basement. I wish you could skip the boss fight or temporarily change difficulty so I could keep going with the good stuff.

Anyway gonna try a couple more times, then start over back on normal if still not successful. The VR experience is too awesome to give up on. I won't switch to 2D.

Hope they can patch it. I may want to give it a try one day but it sounds like the balance is screwed up.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I play everything (humble brag) https://youtu.be/nLSOaGoWxPE

I've been gaming since the mid 80's and recently one thing kinda frustrated me: People who dismiss VR without ever trying it. I've been a PSVR owner since day one and, while I've enjoyed it, I couldn't 100% recommend it to everyone. The $400 price tag seemed too risky when most of the games seemed gimmicky and others could cause motion sickness. RE7 has completely changed all of that.

A new era is upon us and, quite frankly, nothing else compares to it. The level of immersion, the ease of movement, it's next gen. I'd say it's right up there with the jump to 3D as far as gaming evolution goes.

You don't have to believe me. You don't have to even like first person games, Resident Evil, or Obama. All I'm saying is TRY IT OUT. This is what "next gen" feels like and my mind is boggling at the possibilities that consoles are capable of producing RIGHT NOW. 

Purchase 100% justified.

I've become a bit of a p**** when it comes to horror. Games. Movies. I used to enjoy it. Not so much anymore. It's good to know so many people like RE7+PSVR, and RE7 in general. I might wait for a different killer app to bite. Or not. The hype surrounding this combo is swelling. Like an excited p****

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

d21lewis said:

Hope they can patch it. I may want to give it a try one day but it sounds like the balance is screwed up.

I made it on the 10th attempt :) I used up all my good ammo, all medkits I had saved up and survived with health in the red, nothing to heal with and no way to defend myself on the way out, but I survived! I got better at stepping over the cord and staying close to the center while turning round and round, circle strafing in VR lol. Can't really do that with the analog stick as you have to keep looking back and forth due to the speed restriction on sideways movement. Learning new techniques to survive in VR. I'm impressed with the tracking as it never missed a beat while spinning and flicking back and forth like a paranoid lighthouse.

I managed to build up a few resources again, sneaking around the next few areas. The game is so awesome in VR, damn you sleep. No clue how I'm going to survive the next big fight on this difficulty, best to conserve resources as much as possible for now. Clear rate for the 3rd boss is 2.84% atm (43% on normal 17% on easy). Next is at 2.13% https://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html
(No spoilers there, you have to clear the game first and link your psn account as prove before you can see the stats and how many fights there are)

aLkaLiNE said:
walsufnir said:

Wait, what? Did Sony pay for an exclusivity deal for the vr version? That would be really shitty and would hurt vr in general, in my opinion.

Considering the chance that PSVR is market leader and the upper end market can't be greater than 2 million yet (Vive+rift+PSVR), it would make fiscal sense to develop first for the platform that has the biggest user base no?

Of course it makes fiscal sense - that is what all exclusivity deals do. It depends on the perspective.

If you want VR to succeed, you need mass sellers for the tech itself, not for the one locked in an ecosystem.

Either way, exclusivity deals *are* shitty, no matter how you try to spin it. Making it timed exclusive doesn't help PSVR but is bad for VR in general.

COKTOE said:
d21lewis said:

I play everything (humble brag) https://youtu.be/nLSOaGoWxPE

I've been gaming since the mid 80's and recently one thing kinda frustrated me: People who dismiss VR without ever trying it. I've been a PSVR owner since day one and, while I've enjoyed it, I couldn't 100% recommend it to everyone. The $400 price tag seemed too risky when most of the games seemed gimmicky and others could cause motion sickness. RE7 has completely changed all of that.

A new era is upon us and, quite frankly, nothing else compares to it. The level of immersion, the ease of movement, it's next gen. I'd say it's right up there with the jump to 3D as far as gaming evolution goes.

You don't have to believe me. You don't have to even like first person games, Resident Evil, or Obama. All I'm saying is TRY IT OUT. This is what "next gen" feels like and my mind is boggling at the possibilities that consoles are capable of producing RIGHT NOW. 

Purchase 100% justified.

I've become a bit of a p**** when it comes to horror. Games. Movies. I used to enjoy it. Not so much anymore. It's good to know so many people like RE7+PSVR, and RE7 in general. I might wait for a different killer app to bite. Or not. The hype surrounding this combo is swelling. Like an excited p****

Try it. Even if you are not a horror aficionado, you can always try and make it a group experience. Have some friends over and play it in turns. The shared, social experience makes the fear actually fun. Funny enough, we guys were the ones chickening out early and the girls actually got a bit further ahead than us. Had tons of fun and the laughs after alleviated the sense of dread you get from the game after you turn it off. I recommend getting the free VR games (the free VR app with the funny godzilla game is my first recommendation) to get ppl used to the experience before diving into RE7.

Around the Network

RE7 is really making PSVR enticing, along with other smaller titles, though I feel like I'd die of a heart attack if I experienced it in VR lmao. Maybe when it gets a price drop, or a bundle with Pro, I'll get a PSVR.

I tried a crappy oculus demo and even that was incredible. It was so so so much better than 3D. Even without realistic graphics your mind is tricked,

brendude13 said:
I tried a crappy oculus demo and even that was incredible. It was so so so much better than 3D. Even without realistic graphics your mind is tricked,

You say it's better than 3D... I'd say it's better than 3D only. Because VR uses 3D and it uses it freaking well!

DrDoomz said:
COKTOE said:

Try it. Even if you are not a horror aficionado, you can always try and make it a group experience. Have some friends over and play it in turns. The shared, social experience makes the fear actually fun. Funny enough, we guys were the ones chickening out early and the girls actually got a bit further ahead than us. Had tons of fun and the laughs after alleviated the sense of dread you get from the game after you turn it off. I recommend getting the free VR games (the free VR app with the funny godzilla game is my first recommendation) to get ppl used to the experience before diving into RE7.

Thanks for the advice. You have added more weight to the "just do it!" side of the scale.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DrDoomz said:

That's actually something "unexpected" about VR. People assumed that because VR makes you wear a headset that theoretically isolates you from the outside world, that it's a solo exercise. But a big part of the fun I had with VR so far was to see other people's reactions to what happens in those other worlds. 

It's actually a very fun social exercise. And when I get my set, I will be sure to do what you described. Sounds like a lot of fun. :D