By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 is PSVR's killer app.

SamLeheny said:
It's a pretty great game, but I actually think the VR aspect kinda sucks. It definitely could be PSVR's killer app, but I think it needs a lot of simple tweaking.

It's not perfect, yet it wouldn't say it sucks. What kind of simple tweaks do you suggest?
For me, it could use better positioning of the arms (they don't turn or move with you if you play while standing), and less feet shuffling noises when you turn your head.

Azzanation said:
I still prefer to play RE7 on the big screen with the standard controllers. That's just me though.

It uses the standard controller. The few times it switches back to 2D big screen mode for a prerecorded cutscene feels like a big loss of immersion. Sure, the graphics look a lot better in the cutscene, yet also distant and flat.

I tried it on the base ps4 for comparison. Detail and lighting seem the same but it does run at a slightly lower resolution. Things in the distance are a bit more blurry and it looks like the game renders the edges at an even lower resolution. A bit like foveated rendering, except it can't track your pupils, so if you look down or at the side edges you notice a weird pattern. It's mostly noticeable at the bottom edge as you naturally tend to look down a bit.

You can see it on the screenshot above, although the effect is a it less pronounced in the headset. When you pay careful attention in well lit scenes you can notice that there's a center rectangle with everything around it rendered at half the resolution. (It's a very large rectangle in the headset, but you can notice the edges by looking around)

Some textures like Mia's hair are also a bit pixelated on the base ps4. Looks sharp on the pro.

Performance is the same anyway, biggest difference was the noise level. My base ps4 was quite loud running RE7, while I never noticed much noise from the pro. It plays the same, still looks good, yet nice to know the ps4 pro purchase wasn't for nothing. Certainly a bigger difference than 2240x1260 vs 1920x1080 in 2D.

The difference could be bigger later in the game. RE7 uses dynamic resolution, and there are some scenes where the pro lowers the resolution to keep the fps stable. Usually it only last a second when sprinting into a new area but I did have a few heavy effects fights with multiple enemies near the end where the resolution took a little longer to recover.

On with my second playthrough. Madhouse is quite a challenge already.

Around the Network

Just finished -- Great game, enhanced 10x by PSVR and the immersion. Havent enjoyed an RE like that since the original on PS1.

WagnerPaiva said:
spurgeonryan said:
I cannot even afford a second Wii U let alone one of these. Looks amazing though!

Why do you need a second WIIU? I just bought RE7, I am downloading, but I doubt it can be more amazing than Rush of Blood. That game is landmark in gaming to me, what a experience.

Let me know what you think. 😉

solidpumar said:
I will wait for HTC VIVE superior version. (damn 1 year exclusivity)

Wait, what? Did Sony pay for an exclusivity deal for the vr version? That would be really shitty and would hurt vr in general, in my opinion.

think-man said:
I'm weighing it up, you're a respectable user with honest posts so i know you aren't trying to push fanboy agenda's. What other titles would you recommend?

It's a trap!

Around the Network

Tried it with some friends last night, and all I gotta say is: Wow. The level of immersion the PSVR gives you is incredible (we tried it headset on and off to see the difference). I remember trying old-school VR back in the day but the new tech these days is a completely different experience. I was in a room with a few friends but couldn't shake the feeling of being alone (while feeling stalked) and vulnerable. And every new room felt like stepping into a sinister space that could hold some unknown danger. Threats you encounter have this sense of form and scale that makes them quite threatening and the feeling of them suddenly coming at you makes your body just reflexibly want to jump back as you desperately try and avoid them. Ppl were screaming that night haha.

Definitely recommend the VR experience to everyone I know or to anyone who would listen. Personally, I cannot watch 3D movies because I've always had this experience of nausea and eyestrain watching those things but am glad to say I no longer experienced any of that after I acclimated to VR (after using it on the easier games on VR for a few minutes, there was a bit of nausea the first few minutes tho).

I cannot wait for headsets to shrink and have better capabilities. To the Ppl wondering about what next gen gaming will be like. Well, I'm a convert. This is next gen.

Thumbs up.

This tech is much bigger than people a lot of people realize, naysayers be dammed. I'm excited for the first console that is built around VR

Wii Sports Resort in VR would be amazing.

With that said, I believe the next era of gaming is Virtual reality.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

walsufnir said:
solidpumar said:
I will wait for HTC VIVE superior version. (damn 1 year exclusivity)

Wait, what? Did Sony pay for an exclusivity deal for the vr version? That would be really shitty and would hurt vr in general, in my opinion.

Considering the chance that PSVR is market leader and the upper end market can't be greater than 2 million yet (Vive+rift+PSVR), it would make fiscal sense to develop first for the platform that has the biggest user base no?

Madhouse difficulty is both awesome and incredibly frustrating. Not only are the opponents much tougher, and you die in 2 or 3 hits, there are also less resources, almost no checkpoints and you have a limited amount of saves. Which means, that even after finally passing a boss fight, you could still die half an hour later and go all the way back before it.

While sneaking around the house is amazing, the boss fights fall apart on madhouse difficulty. First one is a bullet sponge but doable. Second turns into pretty much using a silly exploit. Third one a laughable shuffle around the pillar until the timer runs out, then keep dying in stage 2. I can't get past that one, gave up after 7 or 8 tries. I needed a break of having to run all the way back every time, collect everything on the way again, craft stuff again, get through the first stage again, then get tangled up in the psvr cord and get out of play area warnings before dying again...

I figured playing standing up would help with faster turning after getting nowhere while sitting, however the game spins you around to face the wrong way every time you get caught. Plus in all the fast movement you start to wander from the center spot, which doesn't help as the game still registers hits where it thinks your body should be. You can duck and dodge all you want, the game doesn't care. The floating hands stay in the same place as does your hit zone. You also can't really see your health in VR and sideways and backwards movement is severely restricted.

The real frustrating thing is that apart from the boss fights, madhouse difficulty is awesome and ramps up the tension to the extreme. You need to know where to hide, what escape routes you have and crawl as quietly as possible through the basement. I wish you could skip the boss fight or temporarily change difficulty so I could keep going with the good stuff.

Anyway gonna try a couple more times, then start over back on normal if still not successful. The VR experience is too awesome to give up on. I won't switch to 2D.