By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
m_csquare said:
Mar1217 said:

It's fine if you think it goes that way.

But to me, it's all about the games. That's why the PS4 is doing so good and the Switch will do as much, cuz the games will be there, espescially on the 1st party/Japanese 3rd party side. 

I had the same thought until i saw the launch titles, and a bunch of developers ignoring switch ports. Heck most of switch's announced games dont even have a released date yet. And I'm still not counting the possibility of delays.

No, the premise of "the games will come" is stupid. If you look at wiiu lineup now, you could also say "the first party support do come to wiiu". But does it even matter now?

I think unfortunately you may be right.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
barneystinson69 said:

Mobile HW and gimmicks are not the way of the future. Its just a way of trying to revive the past successes of Nintendo. 

Gimmicks? What gimmicks exactly are we talking about? The rumble, a feature that's been present since N64? Motion controls? Mobile hardware IS the future, you just don't wanna see it. But you'll soon come to that realization.

1-2-Switch showcases it pretty well.

Playing Rock Paper Scissors with your hand infront of an IR blaster on the controller sounds pretty gimmicky to me.

Jranation said:
barneystinson69 said:

I also forgot to note that the Switch doesn't use CD's, but Cartridges. Hasn't been in place since the N64, but in all their handhelds.

Then why are people expecting XB1 powers? Why are people expecting the next Cod, BF, Assasins Creed on a handheld? 

What has less power to do with cartridges? I don't see the connection here.  

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Sorry but with Breath of the Wild coming out on it, it's pretty hard to see it as just a handheld. It's almost as if it's some kind of hybrid console... nah that's too crazy.

Barkley said:
guiduc said:

Gimmicks? What gimmicks exactly are we talking about? The rumble, a feature that's been present since N64? Motion controls? Mobile hardware IS the future, you just don't wanna see it. But you'll soon come to that realization.

Playing Rock Paper Scissors with your hand infront of an IR blaster on the controller sounds pretty gimmicky to me.

This is basically that feature that's going to be used in like 5 games. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Barkley said:

This is basically that feature that's going to be used in like 5 games.

Have no idea why they invested their money into stuff like this, when it will hardly be used.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

m_csquare said:

Well iphone also has a gaming controller and you can also play it on tv. What does it make an iphone then?

You can call it a home console if you like, if that's what you primarily use it for. The label you give a device doesn't change what the device can do or what value it has.

Why isn't it equally right to claim that they have left the handheld market since it is sold as a unit that you connect to the TV but can disconnect if you want to play it on the go on ocation? Heck, the unit even comes with a controller :).

Mar1217 said:
j.thomaz said:

I think unfortunately you may be right.

The difference is there :

Wii U launch lineup: http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

Switch: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-of-the-nintendo-switch-launch-games-confirmed-/1100-6446924/

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Nintendo's fate as a home console provider was basically doomed the moment they decided that this:

Was an acceptable look for a home console and decided that on top of that they would give Sony 18 months to build a headsart with the Playstation 2. You may as well have just put a Fisher Price logo on the system and called it "Babyz First Game System". I didn't mind the design personally, but for the market and where it was going, that design was a disaster. 

That was basically the acceleration of the end of Nintendo as a relevant long term home console force (N64 would be the beginning of the end). 

Wii U was just the death knell.