By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432

The Switch reveal has confirmed this, and how I believe this is because Nintendo knows it can't compete with Sony or Microsoft anymore. They don't have the 3rd parties, the online infrastructure, the fanbase, ect. Now I'm sure I'm going to have people say "OH, THE SWITCH IS A HYBRID, ITS TECHNICALLY A HOME CONSOLE AND HANDHELD!!!" Let me say one thing: The switch is a handheld console, that has a dock in order to make it look like a home console as well. Lets just look at the specs for example. For $299, you're getting a console that is around double the power of the Wii U, so roughly 1/3-1/2 the power of the XB1 (which is also $299). Now this looks bad enough, but when we look at 8.5 gen consoles (Scorpio and PS4Pro), the gap is even larger. Now I'm going to assume the Scorpio launches at $399, just like the Pro. For $100 more, you get consoles which are 6 and 8 times more powerful than the Switch, and both are likely to see price cuts as well. If the PS4Pro is 349 for the holidays, are you seriously telling me the gap in power is only worth $50? These specs sound more like a console that is primarily a handheld than a home console. If its half a generation behind the XB1 and PS4, than it definently is in trouble with the PS4Pro and Scorpio. Now you could argue specs don't matter, and thats true - to a certain extent.

However, when the gap is this large, its definently a problem. The Switch will definently struggle to get 3rd parties, and ultimately fail if its treated like a home console. If its treated more like a handheld, it has a far better chance. Now you could very well argue against me, but Nintendo is looking to put 3DS games on it, and says that they won't be replacing the Wii U with anything else. So Nintendo fans can treat this as whatever they think it is, but Nintendo from now on will make handheld consoles and mobile games, and that is it. The era of true home consoles for Nintendo is over; they already blew it with the Wii U, and I just don't see them ever recovering from it.  RIP

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
"Yes. Their switch to mobile and the switch reveal confirms that (see what I"

Actually I don't see what you.

Switch to mobile (switch... damn, I didn't make that obvious enough).

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

yeah!!! lets make threads about things that have argued to death

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

But, but, I can use it at home....and on my TV.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Yeah thats pretty much been established. Sad change

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

Power has nothing to do with it being a home console or not. PS2 was also more expensive than Gamecube for most of it's life, despite being 1/2 a generation behind.
You can play Switch home on the TV or you can take it with you on the go. Whether you decide to label it as a home console, a handheld or a hybrid, doesn't change what it is...

Tagging

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Vinther1991 said:
Power has nothing to do with it being a home console or not. PS2 was also more expensive than Gamecube for most of it's life, despite being 1/2 a generation behind.
You can play Switch home on the TV or you can take it with you on the go. Whether you decide to label it as a home console, a handheld or a hybrid, doesn't change what it is...

The Switch is 1/6 and 1/8th the power of the Pro and Scorpio. Thats quite a lot, especially since this is a 9th gen console (or so I assume).

Just for your first point, it's not that Nintendo can't compete with Sony or Microsoft, they just can't outsell them if they make a home console a la X1/PS4, they're competing with something different.

Also, in-terms of power you can look at it from a completely different point of view. Before the Switch, the most powerful handheld was the Vita. The Switch is capable of running much much more graphically-demanding games (See Breath of the Wild/Mario Odyssey), so if the Switch is 1/3rd or so of the X1 then surely it's closer to a home console? Or what people do/should call it: A hybrid.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Vinther1991 said:

This. Why is it so hard for people to understand. Suppose it's like our political landscape. People just want to label things.

But if this system takes off, I totally am picturing the same as when the Wii did. People will never accept it's success and always be predicting when the "fad" will end.