By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432

No offense to Japanese devs, but where are all these "Japanese console games" for the Switch?

Cause I ain't seeing shit right now. Where's Resident Evil 7? Tekken 7? Any Final Fantasy coming? Why not Metal Gear Solid V? Dragon Quest Heroes is based off the PS Vita version.

Around the Network

These are just words. This is the first time the boundary between home and handheld consoles has been blurred and people are interpreting it in different ways but makes no difference. If you get all the games you get on a home console and games you get on a handheld and play them on the TV and outside then how can you say its one or the other. Calling it just a home is ignoring a lot of facts and calling it a handheld is ignoring a lot of facts

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Kerotan said:
Yep I agree with you barney. It's basically a succesor to the Vita. It's what it would have been.

Minus the detachable controller wings, yeah I think Switch is largely pretty much exactly what a hypothetical Vita 2/PSP3 would've been. 

barneystinson69 said:

The Switch reveal has confirmed this...

From the start your premise is not valid.

The reveal confirmed:

1. functionality that requires a home console-like setup where you freely move the controllers separate from a stationary screen.
  2. that it did not get any of the traditional portable games (yet).
  3. hardware that solely benefits a home console scenario such as procontroller, joycon grips, IR camera
I think the problem is people are trying to force Switch into one of the three established gaming models: portable, home, pc. This is a close-minded and plain out wrong view on the Switch. 
Switch is more of a disruptive device to our ecosystem. It creates a new model that is neither "portable" or "home" but a combination of both.
Some only see lower hardware, ignoring the fact that the last two gens had Nintendo "home" consoles with a greater power disparity than Switch is to Xbox One.
Some only see its portability, ignoring that it has standard home console hardware, functionality, controls and seemless TV experience.
Nintendo was never a home or portable console company. Nintendo is now and has been for many decasdes, a video game company. Their consoles were mere tools to interact with their experiences. Switch is the next evolution of that vision. One that marries the best they've done with what has been historically a divided internal pipeline into a single output.
Switch is a video game console. It allows you to play video games anywhere you want with any type of screen and a control scheme that is significantly more advanced than any other company. I think we're potentially at the start of a new epoch in gaming.
This is similar to other tech markets. PC wasn't the first computer, just first to be cheap and easily accessible. Internet wasn't the first interface, just open and full of content. iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, just more accessible and had an appstore. Cloud wasn't the first storage / hosting technology, just easier and able to scale (almost) infinitely.
Switch isn't Nintendo's first (or last) game console. Its just simplier, cost effective (to devs), more accessible and more flexible (to devs). Time will tell if these benefits cause a shift or not. Afterall, PC gaming has always been more powerful than consoles, yet we all know who is the dominant platform to consumers and developer focus.

Soundwave said:
No offense to Japanese devs, but where are all these "Japanese console games" for the Switch?

Cause I ain't seeing shit right now. Where's Resident Evil 7? Tekken 7? Any Final Fantasy coming? Dragon Quest Heroes is based off the PS Vita version.

They'll come but right now each developer is just dipping its toes to test the water. The developers of all those games are releasing different types of games for the switch

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
FunFan said:

console

play 
noun  con·sole ˈkän-ˌsōl

Definition of console

1. 1:  an architectural member projecting from a wall to form a bracket or from a keystone for ornament

2. 2:  console table

3. 3a :  an upright case that houses the keyboards and controlling mechanisms of an organ and from which the organ is playedb :  a combination of readouts or displays and an input device (as a keyboard or switches) by which an operator can monitor and interact with a system (as a computer or dubber)

4. 4a :  a cabinet (as for a radio or television set) designed to rest directly on the floorb :  a small storage cabinet between bucket seats in an automobile

5. 5:  an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games

"Since 1828".... Hum, there weren't any video games there....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console

handheld game console is a small, portable self-contained video game console with a built-in screen, game controls, and speakers.[1]Handheld game consoles are smaller than home video game consoles and contain the console, screen, speakers, and controls in one unit, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place.[2][3]

IT IS A HANDHELD.

Eagle367 said:
Soundwave said:

Cause I ain't seeing shit right now. Where's Resident Evil 7? Tekken 7? Any Final Fantasy coming? Dragon Quest Heroes is based off the PS Vita version.

They'll come but right now each developer is just dipping its toes to test the water. The developers of all those games are releasing different types of games for the switch

Not one of these "loyal Nintendo supporting" Japanese developers could bother to even have 1 console-caliber title available for the entire launch window? 

That's pretty sad. 

the power argunent makes no sense, so Wii wasnt a home console because it was alot weaker?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This is definitely up for debate however, this is Nintendo getting ahead of the game imo. Yeah, it's nowhere near as powerful as PS or XB but mark my words, in the future, when graphical capability has hit a snag and is stagnated, a device like Switch will be on top. It's not quite there yet, it's going through its growing pains, but a hybrid device, one that you can play on the go and at home is the future of gaming. Nintendo should just keep adopting this model from here on out. It also aids them in software development. And that's why I think Nvidia said they plan to work with Nintendo for the next couple of decades.

Ljink96 said:
This is definitely up for debate however, this is Nintendo getting ahead of the game imo. Yeah, it's nowhere near as powerful as PS or XB but mark my words, in the future, when graphical capability has hit a snag and is stagnated, a device like Switch will be on top. It's not quite there yet, it's going through its growing pains, but a hybrid device, one that you can play on the go and at home is the future of gaming. Nintendo should just keep adopting this model from here on out. It also aids them in software development. And that's why I think Nvidia said they plan to work with Nintendo for the next couple of decades.

I seriously hope not.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).