By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
Peh said:
But, but, I can use it at home....and on my TV.

That was possible with the Vita too, that doesn't make it a home console. Anyway the Wii and Wii U where also severely lacking in specs at least the Switch has a good reason. It's games look more like homeconsole than handheld games. But it's hardware is more closely resembled to a handheld than a home console. It pretty much offers DNA of both and that makes it a jack of all trades but one that masters one side (handheld) way more than the other.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
FunFan said:
j.thomaz said:

"Since 1828".... Hum, there weren't any video games there....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console

handheld game console is a small, portable self-contained video game console with a built-in screen, game controls, and speakers.[1]Handheld game consoles are smaller than home video game consoles and contain the console, screen, speakers, and controls in one unit, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place.[2][3]

IT IS A HANDHELD.

Chill. I simply missed the word home. Read too fast

Sorry 

Barney stop with these threads please. We get it you dont like the switch but saying things like Nintendo isnt a home console company is just not true.

Interesting discussion. Shows how people have short memories. Was the game gear a home console? Well you could connect it to a tv.

Mar1217 said:
So it's just another pointless debate. People won't change their stand on this matter.

The market will tell the story, but they've already kinda spoken on this. 

Nintendo can't even get their own fans to buy Nintendo consoles most of the time ... 80% of GBA owners and 80% of 3DS owners did not bother with the Nintendo console counterpart and they don't have another Wiimote type controller craze to fall back on, so Switch (basically the portable side taking over the console side) was the only real option Nintendo had left. 

They couldn't keep making consoles that only 15-20 million hardcore Nintendo fans would buy, they had to make a portable system and then just collapse what was left of their console division into that. 

Nintendo had no choice, if they had a large *reliable* console fanbase, they would have made another home console. They don't. So Switch is what you get. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
barney, think before you hit the submit button.

Nintendo is not a traditional console maker anymore (have they been for a while anyway?). Although I intend to use the switch strictly as a home console, the switch is neither a traditional handheld or a home console. It's piss poor battery life, large form factor, and price take it beyond any sensible notion of a normal handheld these days. It's lack of a good ergonomic traditional controller in the base unit, rather excessive it's low power, and price to reach that traditional sweet spot take it beyond what is normal for consoles these days.

I am forcing myself to get a Switch. It is going to cost me about $450 for the unit, pro controller (which I consider essential) and one game. I am not getting the Switch because of all the gimmicks and bells and whistles Nintendo has in this thing. I am getting it on the off chance that Nintendo gets a 3D Zelda right for a change, on the off chance that enough exclusive good RPGs come to it that I don't end up with buyer's remorse like I did with the Wii.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

guiduc said:
barneystinson69 said:

I seriously hope not.

Why? Couldn't it be the way of the future?

Mobile HW and gimmicks are not the way of the future. Its just a way of trying to revive the past successes of Nintendo. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

dharh said:
I am forcing myself to get a Switch. 

I guess it was odd to say that.

jason1637 said:
Barney stop with these threads please. We get it you dont like the switch but saying things like Nintendo isnt a home console company is just not true.

Well the split is 50/50 in the poll, so clearly people agree and disagree with your stance. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).