By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
Vinther1991 said:
m_csquare said:

Well iphone also has a gaming controller and you can also play it on tv. What does it make an iphone then?

You can call it a home console if you like, if that's what you primarily use it for. The label you give a device doesn't change what the device can do or what value it has.

Yeah you can really label something whatever you want but that also doesn't change what it is. I could use a fridge as a warddrobe if I wanted, it's still a fridge. Just like an Iphone is still a phone, even though it could be used for home console experiences.

To some extent it depends on how the device is marketed, and the Switch seems to be marketed as both.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Nintendo's fate as a home console provider was basically doomed the moment they decided that this:

Was an acceptable look for a home console and decided that on top of that they would give Sony 18 months to build a headsart with the Playstation 2. 

That was basically the acceleration of the end of Nintendo as a relevant long term home console force (N64 would be the beginning of the end). 

Wii U was just the death knell. 

The Gamecube was a sexy beast, love it. 

m_csquare said:
Mar1217 said:

It's fine if you think it goes that way.

But to me, it's all about the games. That's why the PS4 is doing so good and the Switch will do as much, cuz the games will be there, espescially on the 1st party/Japanese 3rd party side. 

I had the same thought until i saw the launch titles, and a bunch of developers ignoring switch ports. Heck most of switch's announced games dont even have a released date yet. And I'm still not counting the possibility of delays.

No, the premise of "the games will come" is stupid. If you look at wiiu lineup now, you could also say "the first party support do come to wiiu". But does it even matter now?

Just make a simple list. Year 1, the Wii U had Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, NSMBU, 3D World, ZombiU, Monster Hunter, WWHD, and a few more I might forget (ignored most 3rd party games that didnt really affect the Wii U).

Year 1, the Switch is getting BotW, MK8, Spla2n, Skyrim, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey, Sonic, Arms, Xenoblade 2, plus a few unanounced games.

So, Wii U had: an RTS game, a party game, 2 platformers (2D and 3D), survival-horror, and action-adventure games (1 a port, another a remake). And do consider the 3DS already had a 2D and 3D Mario not too far off from the Wii U launch.

The Switch will have: an action-adventure game, racer, 3rd person online shooter, WRPG, whatever Warriors games genre is, 2 3D platformers, a fighter, JRPG, and a huge amount of indies.

Simply by genre variety, I'd say the Switch wins. But also consider which IPs are releasing with the Switch. A new 3D Zelda (last one is +5 years old), a Mario Kart 8 port (3 years old), Splatoon sequel (best selling console game from 8th gen in Japan), TES V (onf of the most popular games of all time), FE (recently revived and super popular series; although it's a spin-off), sandbox 3D Mario (last one released on the GC), 3D Sonic (eehm... we'll see), new IP (we'll see), and sequel to XC (pretty popular on the West. Not very succesful though).

Of course, we had this kind of topics with the Wii U. A pretty long list of games that would "save the Wii U", so it's not a success by default. But having a good first year is, in my opinion, crucial to modern gaming. The Wii U had horrible droughts, no indie games, no VC support, horrendous OS, high price, and zero marketing (because of droughts) in it's first year in the market.

The Switch could easily avoid all that (except price), it's all up to Nintendo to not be idiots and support their system correctly. Since the Switch going forward will be their sole system to support, it will be impossible for it to get doughts. All they need is to have a succesful first year.

Didn't expect to rant for this long.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

If an Inkling is both a Squid and a Kid, is it still a Kid?

Does it matter?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Barkley said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo's fate as a home console provider was basically doomed the moment they decided that this:

Was an acceptable look for a home console and decided that on top of that they would give Sony 18 months to build a headsart with the Playstation 2. 

That was basically the acceleration of the end of Nintendo as a relevant long term home console force (N64 would be the beginning of the end). 

Wii U was just the death knell. 

The Gamecube was a sexy beast, love it. 

It looks decent in silver, I might rebuy one just to have that color again, but from a marketing POV this design was a disaster. 

Even for the 1980s, that would have looked like a toy console, much moreso than the NES or even SNES, which were fairly vanilla/neutral designs for the most part. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
j.thomaz said:

I think unfortunately you may be right.

The difference is there :

And ofc he's ignoring every single game that came out on wiiu's first year. Zombiu, new super mario bros u, etc etc. I dont even own wiiu but i knw there're a lot more wiiu had to offer. OH wiiu actually has backward compatibility

m_csquare said:
Mar1217 said:

The difference is there :

And ofc he's ignoring every single game that came out on wiiu's first year. Zombiu, new super mario bros u, etc etc. I dont even own wiiu but i knw there're a lot more wiiu had to offer. OH wiiu actually has backward compatibility

Yeah it's not a good image.

Missing titles like NSMBU, ZombiU, Mass Effect, Batman & Assassins creed.

Not to mention some extremely questionable match ups.

Lego City Undercover, at year one exclusive for the WiiU... against.... Lego City Undercover, an old game that's now going to be on everything. It was a MUCH bigger deal on WiiU.

Mar1217 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Wii U launch lineup: http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

Switch: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-of-the-nintendo-switch-launch-games-confirmed-/1100-6446924/

True. I see a system having a superb Zelda game at launch and the other only has a 2d sidescroller Mario game :P

At this point if you think the launch line-up is more important than the launch window for a system, then I can't blame you.

You're absolutely right. And all the games Wii U had for launch didn't prevent it from failing to sell. Reggie was right on that matter, all that counts is a steady stream of games strategically released through every quarter of the year.

Yomieeee said:
Sorry but with Breath of the Wild coming out on it, it's pretty hard to see it as just a handheld. It's almost as if it's some kind of hybrid console... nah that's too crazy.

I'm fairly sure Breath of the Wild runs in portable mode unless you have some new information that states it only works when docked.

If your making the point about its performance level well the wii u has less memory, cpu and gpu performance than some phones nowadays so its hardly a title that requires a powerful system. It's more like a refinement of Zelda Windwaker and twilight princess on the gamecube graphically which ran with a 8 gflops gpu. It seems if anything to be at a mid point between the 2 styles of graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRlDXGj0TPA

You can obviously tell that these people are trying to downplay the Switch as much as possible. They're afraid that it may take off like the Wii did. If it fails, you'll hear the "I told you so's. If it succeeds, they'll downplay its success as either a "fad" the "gimmicks" or that it really isn't a "home console".

This system is a hybrid, it's a merger of their two sectors. Technology is finally feasable enough for them to be able to do this. You guys downplaying it by calling it a handheld isn't going to work. i guess my GameCube is a handheld since I have the zenith tv screen for it and I can play it on the go.