By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer a home console company...

Is Nintendo done with home consoles?

Yes. Their switch to mobi... 185 42.82%

No. The Switch is also a ... 247 57.18%

Total:432
Slarvax said:
m_csquare said:

I had the same thought until i saw the launch titles, and a bunch of developers ignoring switch ports. Heck most of switch's announced games dont even have a released date yet. And I'm still not counting the possibility of delays.

No, the premise of "the games will come" is stupid. If you look at wiiu lineup now, you could also say "the first party support do come to wiiu". But does it even matter now?

Just make a simple list. Year 1, the Wii U had Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, NSMBU, 3D World, ZombiU, Monster Hunter, WWHD, and a few more I might forget (ignored most 3rd party games that didnt really affect the Wii U).

Year 1, the Switch is getting BotW, MK8, Spla2n, Skyrim, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey, Sonic, Arms, Xenoblade 2, plus a few unanounced games.

So, Wii U had: an RTS game, a party game, 2 platformers (2D and 3D), survival-horror, and action-adventure games (1 a port, another a remake). And do consider the 3DS already had a 2D and 3D Mario not too far off from the Wii U launch.

The Switch will have: an action-adventure game, racer, 3rd person online shooter, WRPG, whatever Warriors games genre is, 2 3D platformers, a fighter, JRPG, and a huge amount of indies.

Simply by genre variety, I'd say the Switch wins. But also consider which IPs are releasing with the Switch. A new 3D Zelda (last one is +5 years old), a Mario Kart 8 port (3 years old), Splatoon sequel (best selling console game from 8th gen in Japan), TES V (onf of the most popular games of all time), FE (recently revived and super popular series; although it's a spin-off), sandbox 3D Mario (last one released on the GC), 3D Sonic (eehm... we'll see), new IP (we'll see), and sequel to XC (pretty popular on the West. Not very succesful though).

Of course, we had this kind of topics with the Wii U. A pretty long list of games that would "save the Wii U", so it's not a success by default. But having a good first year is, in my opinion, crucial to modern gaming. The Wii U had horrible droughts, no indie games, no VC support, horrendous OS, high price, and zero marketing (because of droughts) in it's first year in the market.

The Switch could easily avoid all that (except price), it's all up to Nintendo to not be idiots and support their system correctly. Since the Switch going forward will be their sole system to support, it will be impossible for it to get doughts. All they need is to have a succesful first year.

Didn't expect to rant for this long.

Yes, at the end it entirely depends on nintendo, but im just tired with the premise "the game will come". Always take what the pr said with a grain of salt and that includes this whole "unified library" thing

Around the Network
rjason12 said:
i guess my GameCube is a handheld since I have the zenith tv screen for it and I can play it on the go.

That must have one hell of a battery.

Soundwave said:
Eagle367 said:

They'll come but right now each developer is just dipping its toes to test the water. The developers of all those games are releasing different types of games for the switch

Not one of these "loyal Nintendo supporting" Japanese developers could bother to even have 1 console-caliber title available for the entire launch window? 

That's pretty sad. 

You're right its sad. (Shakes head in dismay)

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I've read some stupid things on this site...and this thread is high up on that list.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Mar1217 said:
m_csquare said:

And ofc he's ignoring every single game that came out on wiiu's first year. Zombiu, new super mario bros u, etc etc. I dont even own wiiu but i knw there're a lot more wiiu had to offer. OH wiiu actually has backward compatibility

Then I guess you're knowledge is limited cause ZombiU,Pikmin 3, HD port of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and a sidescroller 2D Mario ain't gonna save that launch window (Someone already did a post explaining that issue) when you go at face value against a brand new 3D Mario sandbox game, Splatoon 2, Xeno 2, Fire Emblem Musou and a port of MK8 with a new battle mode. And we still have Directs and E3 to go.

Backward compatibility is not something the mass market care nowadays ( This argument has no weight anymore )

And i could also argue the biggest game of switch launch title is also coming to wiiu. BC doesnt matter but suddenly a port of wiiu games matter to you? Ok then

We've far ventured from my main point, but whatev

Around the Network

You're arguing semantics and trying to place labels on things. It plays games at home, and plays games on the go. Whatever you choose to label them after that description is pointless.

Um.. Yes they are? They're releasing a machine which can be used as a HOME CONSOLE. Simple as that. Never ceases to amaze me the creative ways in which people try to undermine Nintendo, even when they have massive hit after massive hit.

I know it's tough for many "hardcore" to get this, but the Sony/MS way of doing things isn't the only way to do things, nor should it be.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Only time will tell. I'd be lying if I said this thought hadn't crossed my mind however.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Even though I am disappointed by the switch specs, it is still a home console.

Personally I was hoping the dock would give it that more grunt so it be easier for devs to port their games over without too much effort in bringing down assets.

RolStoppable said:
barney, think before you hit the submit button.

Shhhhhh, let's see how this plays out.