By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall 2 Designer: Switch Is So Underpowered Third Party Support Will Be No Different Than Wii U

Mr Puggsly said:
OTBWY said:

Is it the same as WiiU? There is your answer.

Depends what we are looking at, its lack of AAA support is the answer.

However, its getting great support from indie studios and family friendly content because it has an audience like Wii U, just bigger.

Even when you try the AAA angle Switch has beaten out Wii U, the latter got two COD games and two AC games in its life time, Switch got Doom, Doom Eternal, DQXI, Skyrim Remastered, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein 2, Dark Souls Remastered etc... All in under a year and a half and the will be more on the way in future he was flat out wrong end of.

It has support from all third parties, games like Valkriya Chronicles 4, Outlast 1+2, Civilisation 6, LA Noire, Fortnite, Octopath, DBFZ and so on show a highly diverse library getting support from all angles, the audience is well different from the Switch as well.

Around the Network

PC minimum specs for the Titanfall 2 (the impossible) and the game we actually got on Switch about 3 months ago. 

AMD based Titanfall 2 PM score Wolfenstein II PM score
CPU FX-4200 4261 FX-8350 8949
GPU HD 7850 3839 R9 290 7118
RAM 8GB -- 8GB --
VRAM 2GB -- 2GB --
HDD 45GB -- 55GB --
    100%   198%

Intel/nVidia Titanfall 2 PM score Wolfenstein II PM score
CPU Core i3-4130T 4137 Core i7-3770 9293
GPU GTX 660 4127 GTX 770 6078
RAM 8GB -- 8GB --
VRAM 2GB -- 2GB --
HDD 45GB -- 55GB --
    100%   186%
Last edited by Kristof81 - on 16 October 2018

last92 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I'm confused, did this thread come back because the Switch has tons of AAA 3rd party support?

Yeah, just what I was thinking. Why the necrobump? It is true that switch third party support is very limited. 

Well, at the very least a lot of smaller indie games got a port, so there's that.

While true that Switch doesn't get many AAA-3rd-party ports usually on PS4 or XB1, the 3rd-party support is far from limited. In the contrary, while Switch gets no Battlefield, it gets other games PS4 and XB1 not get, like Civilization. Many stuff prior only on PC and/or mobile is hitting the Switch. What you do prefer though depends on personal tastes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Switch is no PS4 or XB1, but it certainly will hold its own. A lot of "continuous" ports was a good sign. Actually the Wii U had a better head start in terms of quantity of games but the Switch has been steadily building its profile since with its ports, and adding a reason to play them (portability) which the Wii U never offered. Also games like Wolfenstein, Diablo, Civilisation, Doom 1 and 2, DQX, Final Fantasies and others have shown growing support for the Switch. Indies have also really made this system quite diverse. Obviously it won't be the system to push the best performance games but it gives a nice option to play some of these games on the Go.

I think people seem to forget that the portability is at least half the appeal of the system and it was always going to compromise on performance but I think the Switch did well in the compromise. And when they can release first party titles like they did, I don't think companies had much of an excuse not to invest in it. You look at how Bethesda reacted and they have really put the Switch on the forefront of their support which has never happened before. I think all companies have warmed up to its appeal and 2019 will show more of that.

Doom, doom eternal, wolfenstein 2, fifa, nba 2k, south park fractured but whole, dragon ball fighterz, dragon ball xenoverse 2, star link, fortnite, valkyria chronicles 4, civilization 6, disgaea 5, dragon quest builder 1+2, dragon quest 11, dark souls, warriors orochi 4, bomberman, octopath traveller, mega man 11, ys VII, crash n-sane trilogy, sonic forces, football manager, arena of valor, shin megami tense 5, yokai watch.

The AAA 3rd party support isn't perfect but it is doing a lot better than the Wii u and is looking like it will continue to improve. Anyway indie games are generally a lot more enjoyable than most AAA third party games for me.

Around the Network

I think it speaks a lot when you look at the amount of studios developing for the Switch as oppose to Wii U. Bethesda, From Software, Blizzard, Falcom, NIS, Capcom, 2K, Rockstar. We have Square massively supporting the system and bringing the firsts main Final Fantasy games to ever hit a home console of Nintendo since the Snes. We have games like Fortnite, Undertale and Rocket League that are well know to attract a lot of players. And a bunch of these old ports, okay that they are old games, but some are prestigious franchises that never hit a Nintendo console before.

6 months in the third party support on Wii U was dead and buried. At this point seeying the Switch not just still receiving support of many of those devs that left Wii U early but increasing that support means a lot.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Kristof81 said:

PC minimum specs for the Titanfall 2 (the impossible) and the game we actually got on Switch about 3 months ago. 

AMD based Titanfall 2 PM score Wolfenstein II PM score
CPU FX-4200 4261 FX-8350 8949
GPU HD 7850 3839 R9 290 7118
RAM 8GB -- 8GB --
VRAM 2GB -- 2GB --
HDD 45GB -- 55GB --
    100%   198%

Intel/nVidia Titanfall 2 PM score Wolfenstein II PM score
CPU Core i3-4130T 4137 Core i7-3770 9293
GPU GTX 660 4127 GTX 770 6078
RAM 8GB -- 8GB --
VRAM 2GB -- 2GB --
HDD 45GB -- 55GB --
    100%   186%

Objectively, he was wrong about the capabilities of the Switch. Based on what we've seen and Titanfall 2 does scale well for lower end specs, the Switch could handle that game without massive changes. It would be 30 fps, probably drop below 480p, and have the graphics scaled way back, but it could work on Switch.

Objectively, he wasn't wrong about the Switch being neglected due to its limited capabilities. The platform's smaller core audience isn't helping either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

pikashoe said:
Doom, doom eternal, wolfenstein 2, fifa, nba 2k, south park fractured but whole, dragon ball fighterz, dragon ball xenoverse 2, star link, fortnite, valkyria chronicles 4, civilization 6, disgaea 5, dragon quest builder 1+2, dragon quest 11, dark souls, warriors orochi 4, bomberman, octopath traveller, mega man 11, ys VII, crash n-sane trilogy, sonic forces, football manager, arena of valor, shin megami tense 5, yokai watch.

The AAA 3rd party support isn't perfect but it is doing a lot better than the Wii u and is looking like it will continue to improve. Anyway indie games are generally a lot more enjoyable than most AAA third party games for me.

Wow, what a list!

1. A good chunk of that list is Japanese games. Frankly, they don't make a lot of cutting edge games and that's partly why their content scales well to Switch. Switch is also a popular platform in Japan so they will cater to that audience.

2. You started with the most impressive ports, Doom and Wolfenstein. That engine was built to scale well and even hit 60 fps on 8th gen consoles. So again, partly why scales to Switch well.

3. You list towards the second half starts to fall apart because those are not by any means AAA games and some aren't even technically impressive for the hardware.

4. The Switch is naturally gonna get better support than the Switch Wii U of the larger userbase. But studios clearly aren't that motivated to bring their AAA experiences to Switch. Frankly, a game like Soul Calibur VI should have worked on Switch, but evidently it wasn't worth the effort Namco.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I wouldn't say that as of today, the Switch has a much better 3rd party library than the Wii U. The Wii U had some solid 3rd party games, they just stopped support way sooner.

Switch WILL have a much better third party lineup in the end, but right now I would say its on par.

I mean Wii U:

2 COD
2 Assassin's Creed
2 Arkham games
Splinter Cell
Watch Dogs
Deus Ex
2 Darksiders games
Injustice
Tekken
Mass Effect 3

Again, I would say it is on par with Switch's CURRENT third party lineup.

1doesnotsimply

Switch is off to a decent start.  But that last list of "U" games looks solid on paper as well.   I had almost all of them.  Too bad it ended there.  Would love to have Soul Caliber on Switch for sure.