By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less emphasis on power, more innovation, please.

Something on my radar is the new game by Square-Enix, Project: Octopath Traveler. I really like the looks of it. It looks old-school, but modern at the same time. I hope it shapes up to be a good game.

This screenshot speaks for itself:

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Something on my radar is the new game by Square-Enix, Project: Octopath Traveler. I really like the looks of it. It looks old-school, but modern at the same time. I hope it shapes up to be a good game.

This screenshot speaks for itself:

That looks really cool! Gonna look into it!

More innovation in software, less gimmickry in hardware please.

There is a ton of innovation going on, people are just not ready for it. Wii Motion, PlayStation Move, Kinect, PlayStation VR, these are all bringing the most fun games on the market. The problem is they just arn't selling, and the core gaming comunity and core gaming media do nothing but slam these new styles of play.

As much as I love The Last Of US, Uncharted, Mario Kart, Gear of War, Halo, and the many great AAA games on the market, they arn't my favorite games of the last 10 years. My favorite games of the last 10 years, were Wii Sports, Sports Champions, Kinect Adventures, Killzone 3 (In 3D with Sharpshooter), Until Dawn Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, and many of the other Motion/VR/AR games.

I hope at some point the community and the media will finally get tired of playing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and, over, and over again. Like I said, the great games are great. The best games are the ultimate in polish, and full display what can be done with a screen and a classic remote. They best of the best have unforgetable characters, award winning stories, extreamly polished gameplay, and are classics that will stand the test of time. However, they are not bringing anything new to the table. At the end of the day it is still the same thing I have been playing since the 1990's. It is no where near what is possible in interactive media.

Maybe Scoprio/PS4 Pro with VR can finally get people playing new and more breath taking experiences, that completely change the way we precieve games and life. I know from what I have played on PSVR, my creative thinking, and amazement at what is to come has really kicked it up a notch. I am more excited about things now than I have been in nearly twenty years. Hopefully others can share that experience sooner rather than later.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Innovation, innovation, innovation... less focus on the word and more focus on the actual meaning of it.

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:

Nintendo gets flack for all their touch, motion, distance measuring joy cons.  But, at least they're trying.  ...  VR isn't new, Vr has been a thing since the 90's

So has motion controls and touch screens. VR has had improvements and so have motion controls. It's no different really.

Although, I'm not sure about your point, honestly, I just want more options in games. The word innovation in games has kind lost it's meaning. I'm not even really sure what it means. PS4 has an improving and very impressive streaming service within their console service, no one ever talks about it, you can play local MP with your mates while they are in a different country. I guess that isn't innovation.

Hmm, pie.

BS OP. This gen is fullfilied with innovation games :

- The Order 1886 -a game what is no game, u buy a game and u got no real game. I dont know why they even have put a disc inside the box
- Titanfall1/2 - FPS designed again, revolution movement mechanisc

- Destiny - Online FPS designed again
- Overwatch - first AAA hero-FPS on the market
-Sunset Overdrive - open- world platform beatem up ?
Shantae Half Genie Hero - classic 2D platformer with most depth ingame mechanics I have ever seen and I saw a lot of those
Quantum Break - time controll mechanisc are revolutionary, sadly rest of the game is BS
The Witcher 3 - first open world AAA western RPG with awesome lore,story,in depht mechanisc etc

Open ur eyes OP and give a try to non - Nintendo games. I think I shall add Gravity Rush 2 to this list but sadly havent played it yer. 

I want more AA games and that is why PS2 is my favorite era, games looked good enough and there was huge variety

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

KingofTrolls said:

The Witcher 3 - first open world AAA western RPG with awesome lore,story,in depht mechanisc etc

You sure live up to your username.

SegataSanshiro said:
Yeah graphics in terms of realism stopped impresing me a decade ago. I like style. I had more fun last night with a 240P game in MUSHA. I like how Nintendo is always surprising us. I don't always agree with them but it's never dull with them.It's what I miss about SEGA. They were almost as innovative for hardware but in a different way. I like style I like something different I like original ideas.I like when Video Games don't try to be a film and try to be what they are,a video game. I have a PS4 and many games but none of them have Of Us or Uncharted in the name nor Killzone. Not a big supporter of AAA games. It's rare that I do. (by AAA I mean mega budget games) I do on occasion

There isn't really anything that surprising about the Switch though, it's basically a Wii U but in reverse so it can be fully portable. 

If you sat down on this board a year ago and asked people to redesign the Wii U with a mobile chipset, Switch would basically be the result ... sleeker, thinner, chipset in the body of the tablet, etc. 

There's no real technical way to play here. Which I'm fine with, but I think it bears pointing out.