By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less emphasis on power, more innovation, please.

Yeah. I've got a PS4 Pro and I'm getting a Scorpio but, at least in the Pro's case, it just feels like a PS4-- which feels like a PS3. One of the prettiest games on the Pro (currently the most powerful console around) is Rise of the Tomb Raider. That game was completely made for Xbox 360! 2005 hardware.

Yes, VR is new to me and it's great. That's why I've fully supported it. Certain games probably couldn't work on older hardware. Aside from being portable, I fully expect the Switch to provide unique and hopefully GOOD experiences. That's one reason why I'm excited.

Around the Network

Stop playing games made for cross platforms.

Try the games like Infamous, and The Playroom. That differentiate themselves by being able to use the unique hardware being used in the PS4's controller. It has a speaker, light bar, six axis, and touch pad. Play PS4 games that are not on Xbox because Xbox's controller is dull and boring. PS4 Titles are able to use the unique hardware and offer the that unique gaming fun.

RidingMower said:
Stop playing games made for cross platforms.

Try the games like Infamous, and The Playroom. That differentiate themselves by being able to use the unique hardware being used in the PS4's controller. It has a speaker, light bar, six axis, and touch pad. Play PS4 games that are not on Xbox because Xbox's controller is dull and boring. PS4 Titles are able to use the unique hardware and offer the that unique gaming fun.

Infamous?

Oh dear.

TallSilhouette said:
Buys a bunch of shooters, complains about sameness...Maybe look at other games like Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, Bloodborne, Helldivers, Until Dawn, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank, Tearaway, or upcoming ones like Horizon, Dreams, Persona 5, Wild, or Nier: Automata. Just a thought.

This.

There are a ton of games that 'innovate' their genres today.

Ouroboros24 said:

I purchased the ps4 around october of last year and the xbone in December.  In a little than 3 months apart from one another.  During that subsequent time, I had gone to my local game resller and began to purchase big AAA titles for both consoles.  I go dbz zenoverse 2, i got battlefield along with my xbone, destiny, 2k17, cod ghost, ff15, uncharted 4, titan fall and overwatch.  A lot of them at discount of course.  But now, I'm tired of them all.  I'm tired of gaming in general.  It's all borning, its just all the same.  Same as when i played them on ps3 and 360.  Talk about a gimmick that gets stale: graphics.  It's beautiful, its breathtaking, it's artistic, but it gets worn out.  I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like there's nothing new to these two powerful systems. 

Nintendo gets flack for all their touch, motion, distance measuring joy cons.  But, at least they're trying.  Yes, they're not very popular, but they're trying something new.  The price for icicle jingling is high, but that's an attempt at something that may come.  There is looming the danger of consoles fading and personally, I don't want that.  I like consoles.  I have pc and all other consoles except of course the Switch, but there is something about a console that I can't imagine living without.  But the thing is, no one else is trying to push the envelope on where games are going.  VR isn't new, Vr has been a thing since the 90's, and I will admit that it's getting better, but that's because it's a natural progression in gaming.  So, come on, let's move towards the future of gaming and ever closer to the Star Trek holodeck.  Sitting on the couch is fine, but imagine using your neural patterns someday to move your games.  It may not come soon, but before I die, I would at least get to that point in gaming. 

Less emphasis on gimmicks and more concentration on making games better., at the very least technically solid. Like not announcing them until they're closer to completion instead of crunching out half-finished monstrosities.

Around the Network

I would agree about many of the big AAA games being boring, but not because they have good graphics. They just seem to focus more on an immersive experience than they do fun gameplay. I don't find most game stories that interesting so when they take so much time building them up, I just get bored. I'll take games with strong gameplay in addition to those pretty graphics.

Renna Hazel said:
I would agree about many of the big AAA games being boring, but not because they have good graphics. They just seem to focus more on an immersive experience than they do fun gameplay. I don't find most game stories that interesting so when they take so much time building them up, I just get bored. I'll take games with strong gameplay in addition to those pretty graphics.

The reason why I find Doom 2016 interesting: the game goes "fuck you and your story, monsters from hell are trying to kill you. Kill them first!"

(refer to ZP's review)

Not to say I dislike story but when too much is spent on it, it hurts the game.

KLAMarine said:
Renna Hazel said:

The reason why I find Doom 2016 interesting: the game goes "fuck you and your story, monsters from hell are trying to kill you. Kill them first!"

(refer to ZP's review)

Not to say I dislike story but when too much is spent on it, it hurts the game.

This is a good example. I really liked how I had full control over my character and was playing the game almost immediately. Granted, that was just the demo, but it convinced me to pick up the full game on sale on Amazon. Still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. 

The way I see it. Sony was been giving us new franchises left and right.

With the exception of a few titles, Nintendo and Microsoft are the ones stuck on the same old same old

I don't think it's as simple as power vs. innovation, or graphics vs. gameplay, another dichotomy that pops up every now and then on the forum.

I want to look at a case study if you'll permit me. Let's go back in time to 2013. Sony launches Tearaway on Vita and Nintendo launches A Link Between Worlds on 3DS.

Tearaway is innovative, it's creative, it's endlessly inventive. It uses the microphone, camera, and touchpad on the Vita. It's overflowing with new ideas and concepts. And it's kind of a dud. 

A Link Between Worlds basically imports its entire overworld from a game from 1992. Heck, it looks like a game that could run on SNES. Apart from some nifty Streetpass functionality it basically conforms to the Zelda mechanics and tropes set by A Link to the Past, 20+ years earlier. Yet it plays like a dream.

Innovation and creativity without strong design to back them up is kind of shallow, just like great graphics and physics without strong design to back them up is kind of hollow. New features and inventive mechanics can give a boost to a well-designed game, just as great graphics and lighting can enhance a well-designed game, but they can never stand on their own.

I think that some folks have a difficult time articulating exactly what it is they like in a game, and so they fall back on buzzwords like "gameplay" and "innovation" without really unpacking what those words represent. People aren't buying PS4s and XOnes to gawk at the graphics. They're buying them because they love the freedom of Grand Theft Auto and the visceral action of Call of Duty. People aren't buying 3DSes and, now, Switches, because they support so many innovative games. They're buying them because they love the thrill of the hunt in Pokemon or the sense of adventure in Zelda.