By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less emphasis on power, more innovation, please.

Ouroboros24 said:

I purchased the ps4 around october of last year and the xbone in December.  In a little than 3 months apart from one another.  During that subsequent time, I had gone to my local game resller and began to purchase big AAA titles for both consoles.  I go dbz zenoverse 2, i got battlefield along with my xbone, destiny, 2k17, cod ghost, ff15, uncharted 4, titan fall and overwatch.  A lot of them at discount of course.  But now, I'm tired of them all.  I'm tired of gaming in general.  It's all borning, its just all the same.  Same as when i played them on ps3 and 360.  Talk about a gimmick that gets stale: graphics.  It's beautiful, its breathtaking, it's artistic, but it gets worn out.  I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like there's nothing new to these two powerful systems. 

Nintendo gets flack for all their touch, motion, distance measuring joy cons.  But, at least they're trying.  Yes, they're not very popular, but they're trying something new.  The price for icicle jingling is high, but that's an attempt at something that may come.  There is looming the danger of consoles fading and personally, I don't want that.  I like consoles.  I have pc and all other consoles except of course the Switch, but there is something about a console that I can't imagine living without.  But the thing is, no one else is trying to push the envelope on where games are going.  VR isn't new, Vr has been a thing since the 90's, and I will admit that it's getting better, but that's because it's a natural progression in gaming.  So, come on, let's move towards the future of gaming and ever closer to the Star Trek holodeck.  Sitting on the couch is fine, but imagine using your neural patterns someday to move your games.  It may not come soon, but before I die, I would at least get to that point in gaming. 

you can't say that "VR isn't new, Vr has been a thing since the 90's, and I will admit that it's getting better, but that's because it's a natural progression in gaming."  when you previously call the joy cons something new.  joy cons are "a natural progression" on the wiimote and pseye/kinect.

VR offer far bigger new gameplay possibilities then the joycons.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I don't think it's as simple as power vs. innovation, or graphics vs. gameplay, another dichotomy that pops up every now and then on the forum.

I want to look at a case study if you'll permit me. Let's go back in time to 2013. Sony launches Tearaway on Vita and Nintendo launches A Link Between Worlds on 3DS.

Tearaway is innovative, it's creative, it's endlessly inventive. It uses the microphone, camera, and touchpad on the Vita. It's overflowing with new ideas and concepts. And it's kind of a dud. 

A Link Between Worlds basically imports its entire overworld from a game from 1992. Heck, it looks like a game that could run on SNES. Apart from some nifty Streetpass functionality it basically conforms to the Zelda mechanics and tropes set by A Link to the Past, 20+ years earlier. Yet it plays like a dream.

Innovation and creativity without strong design to back them up is kind of shallow, just like great graphics and physics without strong design to back them up is kind of hollow. New features and inventive mechanics can give a boost to a well-designed game, just as great graphics and lighting can enhance a well-designed game, but they can never stand on their own.

I think that some folks have a difficult time articulating exactly what it is they like in a game, and so they fall back on buzzwords like "gameplay" and "innovation" without really unpacking what those words represent. People aren't buying PS4s and XOnes to gawk at the graphics. They're buying them because they love the freedom of Grand Theft Auto and the visceral action of Call of Duty. People aren't buying 3DSes and, now, Switches, because they support so many innovative games. They're buying them because they love the thrill of the hunt in Pokemon or the sense of adventure in Zelda.

you sir, are a meanie.  

tearaway was excellent both times i bought it regardless of its sales.

KBG29 said:
There is a ton of innovation going on, people are just not ready for it. Wii Motion, PlayStation Move, Kinect, PlayStation VR, these are all bringing the most fun games on the market. The problem is they just arn't selling, and the core gaming comunity and core gaming media do nothing but slam these new styles of play.

As much as I love The Last Of US, Uncharted, Mario Kart, Gear of War, Halo, and the many great AAA games on the market, they arn't my favorite games of the last 10 years. My favorite games of the last 10 years, were Wii Sports, Sports Champions, Kinect Adventures, Killzone 3 (In 3D with Sharpshooter), Until Dawn Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, and many of the other Motion/VR/AR games.

I hope at some point the community and the media will finally get tired of playing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and, over, and over again. Like I said, the great games are great. The best games are the ultimate in polish, and full display what can be done with a screen and a classic remote. They best of the best have unforgetable characters, award winning stories, extreamly polished gameplay, and are classics that will stand the test of time. However, they are not bringing anything new to the table. At the end of the day it is still the same thing I have been playing since the 1990's. It is no where near what is possible in interactive media.

Maybe Scoprio/PS4 Pro with VR can finally get people playing new and more breath taking experiences, that completely change the way we precieve games and life. I know from what I have played on PSVR, my creative thinking, and amazement at what is to come has really kicked it up a notch. I am more excited about things now than I have been in nearly twenty years. Hopefully others can share that experience sooner rather than later.

How was Killzone 3 (In 3D with Sharpshooter) btw? I'm assuming it was good? Better aiming than with thumbstick?

vivster said:
pokoko said:

It's kind of like someone saying this is better because it's new and different!

That looks like an actual worthy successor to the Wii U.

Definitively with more power than the Switch Xp

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

I'm fine with innovation as long as they don't try to force us to play or pay in ways I don't want to

The 3DS has a lot of neat features, namely 3D and AR but I barely used it at all. Is cool and fun to play around with for a while but after that it's not really useful or improves gaming

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Hardware makers need to make big enough sandboxes for people to make their increasingly elaborate sand castles in, and the extra bells and whistles that will rarely be used shouldn't raise the price too much.

Remote Play? Cool, can use with any PS4 game.
Dual Shock motion controls? Nice, but only a few 1st party games use it.
Vita microphone? Very easy to forget it exists.

KLAMarine said:
KBG29 said:
There is a ton of innovation going on, people are just not ready for it. Wii Motion, PlayStation Move, Kinect, PlayStation VR, these are all bringing the most fun games on the market. The problem is they just arn't selling, and the core gaming comunity and core gaming media do nothing but slam these new styles of play.

As much as I love The Last Of US, Uncharted, Mario Kart, Gear of War, Halo, and the many great AAA games on the market, they arn't my favorite games of the last 10 years. My favorite games of the last 10 years, were Wii Sports, Sports Champions, Kinect Adventures, Killzone 3 (In 3D with Sharpshooter), Until Dawn Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, and many of the other Motion/VR/AR games.

I hope at some point the community and the media will finally get tired of playing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and, over, and over again. Like I said, the great games are great. The best games are the ultimate in polish, and full display what can be done with a screen and a classic remote. They best of the best have unforgetable characters, award winning stories, extreamly polished gameplay, and are classics that will stand the test of time. However, they are not bringing anything new to the table. At the end of the day it is still the same thing I have been playing since the 1990's. It is no where near what is possible in interactive media.

Maybe Scoprio/PS4 Pro with VR can finally get people playing new and more breath taking experiences, that completely change the way we precieve games and life. I know from what I have played on PSVR, my creative thinking, and amazement at what is to come has really kicked it up a notch. I am more excited about things now than I have been in nearly twenty years. Hopefully others can share that experience sooner rather than later.

How was Killzone 3 (In 3D with Sharpshooter) btw? I'm assuming it was good? Better aiming than with thumbstick?

Much better aiming. It took a second to adjust to, but once I had it down, it was amazing. It is easily the best playing experience I have had with an FPS. 

The next game I am really looking forward to in the FPS catagory is Farpoint on PSVR. It looks like it is going to take the KZ3 experience to the next level. A better sharpshooter, plus the VR display and tracking should make this the best FPS I have ever played. The only thing that could let it down is the story, charaters, and atmospher. Hopefully it will play out well, and even more hopefully, we can get a huge game like Destiny, Call of Duty, or Battlefield to embrace Motion + VR. Once that happens, we will see many, many years of growth and new experiences in the fps space.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I made a similar thread a few days ago saying that I was done with Playstation and Xbox one. I've ditched the xbox already. But yeah man after 15-20 years off shooting virtual guns I'm done. The graphics look a little better than they did 5 years ago but that's all. Hoping Switch will but some good old fashioned fun back into games ( like Wii did 10 years back)

The problem isn't so much the difference such as motion controls etc. but the horse power difference.

In an ideal world horse power shouldn't matter, but when the competition's console is so much more powerful it makes it hard to port anything over. The switch needed to be at least xbox one original in power to have any chance of getting ports. if it was at that level no one would be complaining.

Cobretti2 said:
The problem isn't so much the difference such as motion controls etc. but the horse power difference.

In an ideal world horse power shouldn't matter, but when the competition's console is so much more powerful it makes it hard to port anything over. The switch needed to be at least xbox one original in power to have any chance of getting ports. if it was at that level no one would be complaining.

If a handheld that's. 5 inches thick had the power of an XB1, it'd cost an insane amount, much more than  $300. You'd then see people complain, saying they should've made it weaker to reduce the price.

You can't satisfy everyone.