By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

Acevil said:
So wait, Nintendo supporting a device after all these years is bad?

If only they did that for the Wii U. lol

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:

If the Switch hits Wii U number, then they are going to release a new handheld.

The Switch success is a big doubt at this point due to his high price.

Even in that scenario, IMO they'd simply just repackage the Switch chip for the next portable. Same thing they did with GameCube to Wii. 

Switch is not going to be expensive forever, those components will come down in price. Tegra X1 + 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM will be cheaper than dirt in 2 years. 

They won't give you a "new" system. You'll just get the same one rebranded in a smaller form factor (due to a die shrink). 

Wii was a new console.

Wii U never dropped in price, I just hope that the Switch will and quickly, else it's going to be battered on the market I am afraid. Until it's 200 and has a "mini version", it makes no sens to drop the 3DS.

If it fails, they will drop the Switch brand.

Lucas-Rio said:
Soundwave said:

Even in that scenario, IMO they'd simply just repackage the Switch chip for the next portable. Same thing they did with GameCube to Wii. 

Switch is not going to be expensive forever, those components will come down in price. Tegra X1 + 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM will be cheaper than dirt in 2 years. 

They won't give you a "new" system. You'll just get the same one rebranded in a smaller form factor (due to a die shrink). 

Wii was a new console.

Wii U never dropped in price, I just hope that the Switch will and quickly, else it's going to be battered on the market I am afraid. Until it's 200 and has a "mini version", it makes no sens to drop the 3DS.

Wii was a new console .... basically using the GameCube chip. 

If Switch fails Nintendo will basically do the same thing I think, they'll just re-use the Tegra X1, but shrink it down to 10nm or even 7nm, tweak a few things, and release as a "new" system. 

There's no real incentive or reason to use another chip since all their developers will be used to making games on it. 

If Switch fails though honestly it's probably curtains for Nintendo as a hardware maker, the failure of Switch long term will mean even their portable audience has declined massively and smartphones/tablets continue to eat their lunch as times goes on. 

Mystro-Sama said:
Acevil said:
So wait, Nintendo supporting a device after all these years is bad?

If only they did that for the Wii U. lol

I will never say no to more games, so again Nintendo Supporting a device after all these years is bad. 

Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Wii was a new console.

Wii was a new console .... basically using the GameCube chip. 

If Switch fails Nintendo will basically do the same thing I think, they'll just re-use the Tegra X1, but shrink it down to 10nm or even 7nm, tweak a few things, and release as a "new" system. 

There's no real incentive or reason to use another chip since all their developers will be used to making games on it. 

If Switch fails though honestly it's probably curtains for Nintendo as a hardware maker, the failure of Switch long term will mean even their portable audience has declined massively and smartphones/tablets continue to eat their lunch as times goes on. 

I disagree because the Switch is nothing like the other Nintendo handhelds.

Historically Nintendo handhelds had long battery and low price. Switch is all the contrary.

If Switch fails it would mean that there is no place on the market for a 330€ handheld with online fees. And I think there is no place for that. They better slash the price very quickly or face the Wii U destiny.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii didnt launch with a Mario title either, so 2 of their last 3 home consoles didnt have Mario at launch. 3DS didnt have Mario at launch so 2 out of 3 of their last systems in general didnt have Mario.

Agreed on accessories, they are more expensive than most expected. I think $40 for a Joy-Con, $60 for a pair, $60 for the Dock, $60 for a Pro Controller would be acceptable pricing.

Overall I agree and am not a fan of the paid online and certain aspects needing a phone is very odd.

Again, the general concept of a minigame compilation to show off various features was expected and always likely to happen. I'm not defending the game, just saying its existence is in no way a big surprise.

Again, I said based on what we currently know, things going on behind the scenes and future announcements can change everything. I simply said based on the things we currently know, it appears as though Nintendo's internal teams & subsidiaries are primarily working on Switch while 3DS is primarily getting outsourced titles.

Yoshi is by Good-Feel and if i recall correctly Mario Sports is by Namco & Camelot. Ever Oasis is by Grezzo. Some rumors/speculation state Pikmin 3DS is by Arzest but i havent seen anything that confirms that. None of those are internal studios or subsidiaries, they are 3rd party developers that Nintendo outsourced development to. The only currently known 3DS title that is by a Nintendo owned studio is Fire Emblem Echoes. Like I said, that could change but as of now 3DS has one game coming by Nintendo studios while Switch has 7 (Zelda, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey).

You're totally right. Sorry about that. I just mistakenly assumed both the Wii and 3DS had mario launch titles that I never even bothered to check.

Your accessory prices are far more reasonable, but even the dock at $40 considering it's barely more than a USB to HDMI passthrough selling for $60 still feels steep.

To be clear, I'm not surprised at all that Nintendo has a mini-game selection that is launching with the Switch. I'm surprised that game is 1-2 Switch and everything that 1-2 Switch is. I figured it would be something like Wii Sports that was easy to pick up, easy to play, had an incredible amount of polish, was a huge amount of fun at parties, and most importantly, highlighted the console's strongest points. Instead we got Nintendo's version of the shake-weight.

As for your 3DS samples, my bad. I didn't know Nintendo pawned of some of their iconic IPs to third parties as much as they do. I assumed that because Nintendo was publishing it and it was a Nintendo IP, Nintendo was making it. My bad.

Ya Nintendo actually has a pretty long history of outsourcing their IP.

Capcom developed multiple handheld Zelda titles on GBC/GBA.

Sega developed F-Zero GX

Namco has developed Star Fox Assault, multiple Mario Sports games, Pokken Tournament, Donkey Konga, and assisted on Smash Bros.

Mario & Luigi has always been developed by Alpha-Dream

Syn Sophia develops Style Savvy

Headstrong develops Art Academy & did the Battalion Wars games.

Next Level Games has developed Mario Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Punch-Out.

Monster Games has worked on the Excite series, Pilotwings, and handled the ports of DKC Returns & Xenoblade onto 3DS.

Grezzo developed the Zelda remakes on 3DS along with being heavily involved on Triforce Heroes

Tantalus handled the Twilight Princess HD port.

Camelot has developed multiple Mario Sports games along with Golden Sun

Spike Chunsoft develops the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and Fossil Fighters

Before ND Cube (Nintendo subsidiary) started developing Mario Party, it was developed by Hudson Soft.

Arzest/Artoon have worked on a few handheld Yoshi titles along with some of the mini games on Wii Play Motion & Streetpass Plaza.

Good Feel has worked on Wario, Kirby & Yoshi titles in the last decade.

Skip Ltd develops the Chibi Robo games

Ambrella has worked on various Pokemon spinoffs

Vanpool develops Dillon's Rolling Western and has helped on Paper Mario

Platinum Games worked on Star Fox Zero

Treasure developed Wario World along with Sin & Punishment

Genuis Sonority has developed various Pokemon spinoffs

Paon has developed a few Donkey Kong spinoffs

Arika developed Endless Ocean & a bunch of Dr. Mario games

Team Ninja developed Metroid: Other M and assisted on Hyrule Warriors

Thats all in the last 15 years or so.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

You're totally right. Sorry about that. I just mistakenly assumed both the Wii and 3DS had mario launch titles that I never even bothered to check.

Your accessory prices are far more reasonable, but even the dock at $40 considering it's barely more than a USB to HDMI passthrough selling for $60 still feels steep.

To be clear, I'm not surprised at all that Nintendo has a mini-game selection that is launching with the Switch. I'm surprised that game is 1-2 Switch and everything that 1-2 Switch is. I figured it would be something like Wii Sports that was easy to pick up, easy to play, had an incredible amount of polish, was a huge amount of fun at parties, and most importantly, highlighted the console's strongest points. Instead we got Nintendo's version of the shake-weight.

As for your 3DS samples, my bad. I didn't know Nintendo pawned of some of their iconic IPs to third parties as much as they do. I assumed that because Nintendo was publishing it and it was a Nintendo IP, Nintendo was making it. My bad.

Ya Nintendo actually has a pretty long history of outsourcing their IP.

Capcom developed multiple handheld Zelda titles on GBC/GBA.

Sega developed F-Zero GX

Namco has developed Star Fox Assault, multiple Mario Sports games, Pokken Tournament, Donkey Konga, and assisted on Smash Bros.

Mario & Luigi has always been developed by Alpha-Dream

Syn Sophia develops Style Savvy

Headstrong develops Art Academy & did the Battalion Wars games.

Next Level Games has developed Mario Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Punch-Out.

Monster Games has worked on the Excite series, Pilotwings, and handled the ports of DKC Returns & Xenoblade onto 3DS.

Grezzo developed the Zelda remakes on 3DS along with being heavily involved on Triforce Heroes

Tantalus handled the Twilight Princess HD port.

Camelot has developed multiple Mario Sports games along with Golden Sun

Spike Chunsoft develops the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and Fossil Fighters

Before ND Cube (Nintendo subsidiary) started developing Mario Party, it was developed by Hudson Soft.

Arzest/Artoon have worked on a few handheld Yoshi titles along with some of the mini games on Wii Play Motion & Streetpass Plaza.

Good Feel has worked on Wario, Kirby & Yoshi titles in the last decade.

Skip Ltd develops the Chibi Robo games

Ambrella has worked on various Pokemon spinoffs

Vanpool develops Dillon's Rolling Western and has helped on Paper Mario

Platinum Games worked on Star Fox Zero

Treasure developed Wario World along with Sin & Punishment

Genuis Sonority has developed various Pokemon spinoffs

Paon has developed a few Donkey Kong spinoffs

Arika developed Endless Ocean & a bunch of Dr. Mario games

Team Ninja developed Metroid: Other M and assisted on Hyrule Warriors

Thats all in the last 15 years or so.

Thanks for the info!