By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

zippy said:
b00moscone said:
So having Breath of the Wild for Wii U is fine....but not FE Warriors?

According to Curl breath of the Wild for Wii U will be cancelled :P

He's lost that bet so won't be around for a month or so come March 3rd.

Around the Network

Guys, guys,..!
It is not coming for the 3DS. It is coming for the N3DS!! Please get your facts straight.
Geez.. people are hating for the sake of hating without confirming the facts. Post-truth era indeed.

Fire Emblem Warriors that is.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

The Fire Emblem Warriors game was probably made for WiiU and N3DS. They probably just moved it to the Switch. No need to cancel the N3DS version.

Hynad said:
potato_hamster said:

Things that were possible but unlikely before the Nintendo swtich launch:

- only 3-4 day one launch games
- paid online service with little to no details about how it functions
- paid online service "free" games are only licenced to users for a month
- no pack-in game 
- no Mario game at launch
- using an app for match making and voice chat
- charging for that matchmaking voice chat app
- including a joycon dock that does not have a USB charging passthrough
- $90 price for the dock
- $80 price for a pair of joycons
- $50 price for a single joycon
- $70 price for a pro controller
- $30 price for a joycon dock with USB charging passthrough
- everything that is 1-2 Switch

need I go on?

You keep giving Nintendo way way way too much credit. Everything about the Switch demonstrates that Nintendo is constantly struggling with giving their most loyal fans just enough to suck every last dollar out of their fanbase with as little effort as possible. Selling a new handheld, and putting to rest the idea that the Switch is in fact primarily a home console is a very, very Nintendo thing to do.

What's wrong with no pack-in game? Sony and Microsoft don't include a pack-in game at the launch of their consoles either. Why is it a negative for Nintendo? 

And what about no Mario game at launch? There's a Zelda game ready for launch. And Mario is coming later this year as well. Why is it an obligation for Nintendo to release their systems with a Mario game?

There's nothing inherently wrong with either of those things, but people just didn't think these things were likely.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Things that were possible but unlikely before the Nintendo swtich launch:

- only 3-4 day one launch games
- paid online service with little to no details about how it functions
- paid online service "free" games are only licenced to users for a month
- no pack-in game
- no Mario game at launch
- using an app for match making and voice chat
- charging for that matchmaking voice chat app
- including a joycon dock that does not have a USB charging passthrough
- $90 price for the dock
- $80 price for a pair of joycons
- $50 price for a single joycon
- $70 price for a pro controller
- $30 price for a joycon dock with USB charging passthrough
- everything that is 1-2 Switch

need I go on?

You keep giving Nintendo way way way too much credit. Everything about the Switch demonstrates that Nintendo is constantly struggling with giving their most loyal fans just enough to suck every last dollar out of their fanbase with as little effort as possible. Selling a new handheld, and putting to rest the idea that the Switch is in fact primarily a home console is a very, very Nintendo thing to do.

well you certainly fluffed up that list by including multiple points that are the same point along with some points that really dont belong......but you didnt address what i said.

the fact that most of the Nintendo IP on Switch are bigger franchises developed by internal teams while most of the 3DS ones are outsourced spinoffs/ports is a pretty good sign.

None of those points are the same point. Sometimes the same product had multiple unexpected decisions to go along with it. As for your second statement regarding who is developing what, there are numerous internal and second party teams at Nintendo whose projects have not been announced. You're simply peering into the unknown and making the assumption that it is the same as what is known. That is unless it's Pokemon. That's obviously being developed for the Nintendo Switch because wishful thinking.

Around the Network

We had a bunch of month swith amazing 3DS sales, up yoy basically, and you want the 3DS to die?

The Switch isn't ready to succeed the 3DS. The 3DS will continue to be a big part of Nintendo plans until they are ready to introduce a cheaper Switch. The same device' we've seen or a smaller one (Switch mini?) will replace the 3DS in 2018.

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:

*Sigh* All Nintendo had to do was let 3DS die its natural death, but no, they had to keep it on life support and hold back Switch.

FE Warriors not being exclusive to Switch is one less reason for people to buy the system, while major new games like Echoes still coming to 3DS suggests Nintendo is NOT giving Switch the full unified support that they should.

I fear we're looking at another Wii U situation, where Nintendo is trying to support two platforms, and as a result Switch will be plagued by droughts just like Wii U.

I have no big problem if they release on both, but why is Echoes not also on the Switch? It's a new release, nobody would be angry about it. And I foresee no technical problem.

There actually should be no problem with just upscaling (and switching assets) for the battles and exploration parts. The issue is with the overworld and battle map. In particular, the battle map is made pretty much perfectly for the 3DS - the slight tilt, the cheap sprite use, the best use of 3D on the 3DS.

Then, you still have the user interface. Adapt two rather info-rich screens to one, HD screen.

But why bother when you can just make a Fire Emblem from the ground up?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

well you certainly fluffed up that list by including multiple points that are the same point along with some points that really dont belong......but you didnt address what i said.

the fact that most of the Nintendo IP on Switch are bigger franchises developed by internal teams while most of the 3DS ones are outsourced spinoffs/ports is a pretty good sign.

None of those points are the same point. Sometimes the same product had multiple unexpected decisions to go along with it. As for your second statement regarding who is developing what, there are numerous internal and second party teams at Nintendo whose projects have not been announced. You're simply peering into the unknown and making the assumption that it is the same as what is known. That is unless it's Pokemon. That's obviously being developed for the Nintendo Switch because wishful thinking.

Yes, many of them are.

Expensive accessories is a single point.

Questionable online service is a single point.

Some of the points dont even apply, they either werent unexpected or arent really a negative aspect. Like no 3D Mario at launch, sure a few rumors and people thought it was going to make launch but it was in no way a big shock that its not.

1-2 Switch should not be that unexpected, Nintendo is known to release mini game compilations at or around launch to show of their systems unique features, WarioWare, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Nintendo Land are a few examples.

No pack in title is not that unexpected or necessarily a bad thing. Half of Nintendo's systems released without a pack-in title and PS/XB very rarely launch with a game bundled, thats something they usually do later.

So essentially your list of 14 unlikely and negative points comes down to 2-3.

As for my post about who is developing for what, note that i said CURRENTLY KNOWN GAMES, i said based on the currently known Nintendo IP coming to 3DS & Switch, most are interally developed, big IP for Switch while most are outsourced, smaller IP for 3DS. That is a true statement. Of course it could change if Nintendo starts announcing a bunch of internally developed big IP for 3DS but as of now the games we know about provide a clue (not proof) that Nintendo's big studios & games are on Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Yes, many of them are.

Some of the points dont even apply, they either werent unexpected or arent really a negative aspect. Like no 3D Mario at launch, sure a few rumors and people thought it was going to make launch but it was in no way a big shock that its not.

1-2 Switch should not be that unexpected, Nintendo is known to release mini game compilations at or around launch to show of their systems unique features, WarioWare, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Nintendo Land are a few examples.

No pack in title is not that unexpected or necessarily a bad thing. Half of Nintendo's systems released without a pack-in title and PS/XB very rarely launch with a game bundled, thats something they usually do later.

As for my post about who is developing for what, note that i said CURRENTLY KNOWN GAMES, i said based on the currently known Nintendo IP coming to 3DS & Switch, most are interally developed, big IP for Switch while most are outsourced, smaller IP for 3DS. That is a true statement. Of course it could change if Nintendo starts announcing a bunch of internally developed big IP for 3DS but as of now the games we know about provide a clue (not proof) that Nintendo's big studios & games are on Switch.

First off, let's clarify one thing. I wasn't stating that all these were negative, or bad things, just things that were unlikely that Nintendo did. Not packing in a game or not launching with Mario aren't necessarily bad things, but most people expected Nintendo to do both of these at launch. That was my main point in that list.

So because Nintendo some of these you can encompass with vague wording, it doesn't mean that these were unexpected decisions? Nintendo decided to make many of their accessories overpriced . All of those accesories prices were reasonable decisions Nintendo could have made for those specific products and they chose not to. Notice how I didn't bring up the price of the steering wheel 2-pack? No one is complaining about that because Nintendo decided to price those reasonably. If I mentioned Nintendo accessories being overpriced as one larger point, that would be inaccurate because not all of them are.

Questionable online service is also not a single point, when that point also encompasses many terrible decisions Nintendo made. "Questionable online service" doesn't even accurately describe the clusterfuck of unexpectedly bad decisions Nintendo has made about its online services for the switch. They made multiple unexpected decisions regarding even specific aspects of the Nintnedo Switch

How is the fuck was 1-2 Switch expected? It's a VIDEO GAME that doesn't use VIDEO! You virtually milk cows for fuck's sake. That game is indefensible. Period.

As for what's being developed internally and externally, how much internal focus has ever been on handheld games vs internal focus on home console games. The shift your seeing may be slight, or it just could be because we don't what the announced games are. The fact that they just announced a 3DS exclusive Fire Emblem might point to this not being as substantial as you think.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes, many of them are.

First off, let's clarify one thing. I wasn't stating that all these were negative, or bad things, just things that were unlikely that Nintendo did. Not packing in a game or not launching with Mario aren't necessarily bad things, but most people expected Nintendo to do both of these at launch. That was my main point in that list.

So because Nintendo some of these you can encompass with vague wording, it doesn't mean that these were unexpected decisions? Nintendo decided to make many of their accessories overpriced . All of those accesories prices were reasonable decisions Nintendo could have made for those specific products and they chose not to. Notice how I didn't bring up the price of the steering wheel 2-pack? No one is complaining about that because Nintendo decided to price those reasonably. If I mentioned Nintendo accessories being overpriced as one larger point, that would be inaccurate because not all of them are.

Questionable online service is also not a single point, when that point also encompasses many terrible decisions Nintendo made. "Questionable online service" doesn't even accurately describe the clusterfuck of unexpectedly bad decisions Nintendo has made about its online services for the switch. They made multiple unexpected decisions regarding even specific aspects of the Nintnedo Switch

How is the fuck was 1-2 Switch expected? It's a VIDEO GAME that doesn't use VIDEO! You virtually milk cows for fuck's sake. That game is indefensible. Period.

As for what's being developed internally and externally, how much internal focus has ever been on handheld games vs internal focus on home console games. The shift your seeing may be slight, or it just could be because we don't what the announced games are. The fact that they just announced a 3DS exclusive Fire Emblem might point to this not being as substantial as you think.

But like I said, 3D Mario not being a launch is not that surprising, we havent had a new 3D Mario at launch in 20 years, DS had an updated port but even that was 12 years ago. Some thought it would be there but it was far from most people.

Yes accessory prices is one single point. If 7 out of 8 accessories are considered overpriced than it can be lumped into a single point. Its like saying you dont like Wii because it had too much shovelware, that is one reason, listing 100 shovelware games does not make it 100 seperate reasons.

Havent people been complaining about Nintendo being backwards in terms of online since the Gamecube? That continued on Wii & Wii U so i dont see how its all of a sudden a huge shock that Switch has a weird online setup. Im not defending their online choices, paid online is the biggest complaint i have about the system but it didnt come as a big surprise.

A ton of people were expecting some sort of casual, minigame compilation to demonstrate the system just like Wii & Wii U had. 1-2 Switch is exactly that, the specifics of the game way be surprising but the core concept of it was very much expected.

3DS recieved alot of support from their internal developers & subsidiaries.

2011-Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Mario Kart 7 & Mario 3D Land.

2012-New Super Mario 2, Kid Icarus (not sure if team Sora was a subsidiary), Paper Mario, Animal Crossing.

2013-Fire Emblem, Tomodachi Life, Pokemon X/Y, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Party.

2014-Kirby Triple Deluxe, Smash Bros 3DS, Pokemon OR/AS

2015-Codename STEAM, AC: Happy Home Designer, Fire Emblem Fates, Rhythm Heaven

2016-Kirby Planet Robobot, Mario Party, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Maker 3DS, Miitopia

3DS recieved about 4 internal/subsidiary games each year not including eShop only titles, in which case that number goes up to 5-6.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.