By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

Jeez Curl, its just a Dynasty Warriors game with a Fire Emblem skin, not that serious

Around the Network

There was a report about Nintendo wanting to ship 15-20 million NX (switch) devices last year, so obviously they considered killing off 3DS. But then plans changed and that shipment number officially shrunk to  under 10 mil.

Judging by whats included in the lone, Switch sku, Nintendo is pushing the home aspect first. & with the exorbitant prices for extra controllers and peripherals, its pretty obvious Ninty is urging consumers towards that "value bundle" but there should be a switch-lite at some point...whether that's the tablet w/o dock or shrunken nvidia chip in a smaller HH, Nintendo will definitely have that $199 switch once 3DS fades out., maybe 1 yr after launch.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

First off, let's clarify one thing. I wasn't stating that all these were negative, or bad things, just things that were unlikely that Nintendo did. Not packing in a game or not launching with Mario aren't necessarily bad things, but most people expected Nintendo to do both of these at launch. That was my main point in that list.

So because Nintendo some of these you can encompass with vague wording, it doesn't mean that these were unexpected decisions? Nintendo decided to make many of their accessories overpriced . All of those accesories prices were reasonable decisions Nintendo could have made for those specific products and they chose not to. Notice how I didn't bring up the price of the steering wheel 2-pack? No one is complaining about that because Nintendo decided to price those reasonably. If I mentioned Nintendo accessories being overpriced as one larger point, that would be inaccurate because not all of them are.

Questionable online service is also not a single point, when that point also encompasses many terrible decisions Nintendo made. "Questionable online service" doesn't even accurately describe the clusterfuck of unexpectedly bad decisions Nintendo has made about its online services for the switch. They made multiple unexpected decisions regarding even specific aspects of the Nintnedo Switch

How is the fuck was 1-2 Switch expected? It's a VIDEO GAME that doesn't use VIDEO! You virtually milk cows for fuck's sake. That game is indefensible. Period.

As for what's being developed internally and externally, how much internal focus has ever been on handheld games vs internal focus on home console games. The shift your seeing may be slight, or it just could be because we don't what the announced games are. The fact that they just announced a 3DS exclusive Fire Emblem might point to this not being as substantial as you think.

But like I said, 3D Mario not being a launch is not that surprising, we havent had a new 3D Mario at launch in 20 years, DS had an updated port but even that was 12 years ago. Some thought it would be there but it was far from most people.

Yes accessory prices is one single point. If 7 out of 8 accessories are considered overpriced than it can be lumped into a single point. Its like saying you dont like Wii because it had too much shovelware, that is one reason, listing 100 shovelware games does not make it 100 seperate reasons.

Havent people been complaining about Nintendo being backwards in terms of online since the Gamecube? That continued on Wii & Wii U so i dont see how its all of a sudden a huge shock that Switch has a weird online setup. Im not defending their online choices, paid online is the biggest complaint i have about the system but it didnt come as a big surprise.

A ton of people were expecting some sort of casual, minigame compilation to demonstrate the system just like Wii & Wii U had. 1-2 Switch is exactly that, the specifics of the game way be surprising but the core concept of it was very much expected.

3DS recieved alot of support from their internal developers & subsidiaries.

2011-Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Mario Kart 7 & Mario 3D Land.

2012-New Super Mario 2, Kid Icarus (not sure if team Sora was a subsidiary), Paper Mario, Animal Crossing.

2013-Fire Emblem, Tomodachi Life, Pokemon X/Y, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Party.

2014-Kirby Triple Deluxe, Smash Bros 3DS, Pokemon OR/AS

2015-Codename STEAM, AC: Happy Home Designer, Fire Emblem Fates, Rhythm Heaven

2016-Kirby Planet Robobot, Mario Party, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Maker 3DS, Miitopia

3DS recieved about 4 internal/subsidiary games each year not including eShop only titles, in which case that number goes up to 5-6.

Who said anything about a 3D Mario game. I just said a Mario game. When was the home nintendo console that didn't launch with a Mario game? Well the Gamecube if you consider Luigi's Mansion to not be a Mario game, otherwise it was the NES. So yes, for a lot of people it was unexpected.

Whatever about the accessories. It doesn't make a real difference. The fact remains almost no one expected Nintendo's controllers to be more expensive than a PS4 controller.

As for Nintendo's online, sure it's be fucked up for a long time, but this time it appears that Nintendo's efforts with the Switch have actually regressed in terms of user friendliness and ease of use. No one expected a paid solution to be arguably worse than the paid solution Nintendo is currently offering.

Again 1-2 Switch is indefensible. Don't even try. No one expected that monstrocity, much less charging $50 for it. It would have been terrible as a pack in game. Instead it's going to sell 34 copies because there's not much else to play at launch, and 32 of those copies will be on eBay as soon as Mario Kart comes out. (Yes, I'm exaggerating how poorly this will sell)

See, games output doesn't actually indicate how the system is being supported internally and how much resources a company is putting into supporting it. You have no idea how many projects never see the light of day. You can't possibly know how well Nintendo is trying to support the 3DS vs the Switch and won't know it until Nintendo comes out and says the 3DS will no longer be supported like they just did with the Wii U.

Aside from that, they have Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World, Fire Emblem Echoes, Mario Sports Superstars so far coming out this year (and we could easily see more coming in a new direct or at a conference). But still, that's the same amount of mainline titles that came out for the 3DS in 2014. So again, why do you think support is shifting away from the 3DS based on game output?

OP, if it's any system that deserves to die it's the WII U ...

The WII U shouldn't even be allowed to get the new Zelda or any new games at all since that system is an absolute failure compared to the 3DS ...

/irony

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

But like I said, 3D Mario not being a launch is not that surprising, we havent had a new 3D Mario at launch in 20 years, DS had an updated port but even that was 12 years ago. Some thought it would be there but it was far from most people.

Yes accessory prices is one single point. If 7 out of 8 accessories are considered overpriced than it can be lumped into a single point. Its like saying you dont like Wii because it had too much shovelware, that is one reason, listing 100 shovelware games does not make it 100 seperate reasons.

Havent people been complaining about Nintendo being backwards in terms of online since the Gamecube? That continued on Wii & Wii U so i dont see how its all of a sudden a huge shock that Switch has a weird online setup. Im not defending their online choices, paid online is the biggest complaint i have about the system but it didnt come as a big surprise.

A ton of people were expecting some sort of casual, minigame compilation to demonstrate the system just like Wii & Wii U had. 1-2 Switch is exactly that, the specifics of the game way be surprising but the core concept of it was very much expected.

3DS recieved alot of support from their internal developers & subsidiaries.

2011-Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Mario Kart 7 & Mario 3D Land.

2012-New Super Mario 2, Kid Icarus (not sure if team Sora was a subsidiary), Paper Mario, Animal Crossing.

2013-Fire Emblem, Tomodachi Life, Pokemon X/Y, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Party.

2014-Kirby Triple Deluxe, Smash Bros 3DS, Pokemon OR/AS

2015-Codename STEAM, AC: Happy Home Designer, Fire Emblem Fates, Rhythm Heaven

2016-Kirby Planet Robobot, Mario Party, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Maker 3DS, Miitopia

3DS recieved about 4 internal/subsidiary games each year not including eShop only titles, in which case that number goes up to 5-6.

Who said anything about a 3D Mario game. I just said a Mario game. When was the home nintendo console that didn't launch with a Mario game? Well the Gamecube if you consider Luigi's Mansion to not be a Mario game, otherwise it was the NES. So yes, for a lot of people it was unexpected.

Whatever about the accessories. It doesn't make a real difference. The fact remains almost no one expected Nintendo's controllers to be more expensive than a PS4 controller.

As for Nintendo's online, sure it's be fucked up for a long time, but this time it appears that Nintendo's efforts with the Switch have actually regressed in terms of user friendliness and ease of use. No one expected a paid solution to be arguably worse than the paid solution Nintendo is currently offering.

Again 1-2 Switch is indefensible. Don't even try. No one expected that monstrocity, much less charging $50 for it. It would have been terrible as a pack in game. Instead it's going to sell 34 copies because there's not much else to play at launch, and 32 of those copies will be on eBay as soon as Mario Kart comes out. (Yes, I'm exaggerating how poorly this will sell)

See, games output doesn't actually indicate how the system is being supported internally and how much resources a company is putting into supporting it. You have no idea how many projects never see the light of day. You can't possibly know how well Nintendo is trying to support the 3DS vs the Switch and won't know it until Nintendo comes out and says the 3DS will no longer be supported like they just did with the Wii U.

Aside from that, they have Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World, Fire Emblem Echoes, Mario Sports Superstars so far coming out this year (and we could easily see more coming in a new direct or at a conference). But still, that's the same amount of mainline titles that came out for the 3DS in 2014. So again, why do you think support is shifting away from the 3DS based on game output?

Wii didnt launch with a Mario title either, so 2 of their last 3 home consoles didnt have Mario at launch. 3DS didnt have Mario at launch so 2 out of 3 of their last systems in general didnt have Mario.

Agreed on accessories, they are more expensive than most expected. I think $40 for a Joy-Con, $60 for a pair, $60 for the Dock, $60 for a Pro Controller would be acceptable pricing.

Overall I agree and am not a fan of the paid online and certain aspects needing a phone is very odd.

Again, the general concept of a minigame compilation to show off various features was expected and always likely to happen. I'm not defending the game, just saying its existence is in no way a big surprise.

Again, I said based on what we currently know, things going on behind the scenes and future announcements can change everything. I simply said based on the things we currently know, it appears as though Nintendo's internal teams & subsidiaries are primarily working on Switch while 3DS is primarily getting outsourced titles.

Yoshi is by Good-Feel and if i recall correctly Mario Sports is by Namco & Camelot. Ever Oasis is by Grezzo. Some rumors/speculation state Pikmin 3DS is by Arzest but i havent seen anything that confirms that. None of those are internal studios or subsidiaries, they are 3rd party developers that Nintendo outsourced development to. The only currently known 3DS title that is by a Nintendo owned studio is Fire Emblem Echoes. Like I said, that could change but as of now 3DS has one game coming by Nintendo studios while Switch has 7 (Zelda, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

The 3DS still has potential , it's only logical it is supported. Switch is not his successor, Nintendo has said it again.

Now wait that the next Pokemon is on the 3DS.

Lucas-Rio said:
The 3DS still has potential , it's only logical it is supported. Switch is not his successor, Nintendo has said it again.

It will eventually replace the 3DS. The price will drop and they'll die shrink he chip making a smaller model (and a bigger one too). It's the same thing with DS not initially being the GBA successor. 

Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:

It will eventually replace the 3DS. The price will drop and they'll die shrink he chip making a smaller model (and a bigger one too). It's the same thing with DS not initially being the GBA successor. 

It's not the same.

The DS was reading the GBA game, the Switch can't. The DS could act as a GBA and had its own game, the Switch can't read 3DS games. The Switch is also too big to fit into a pocket and way too expansive.

If they release a Switch mini at 200€, then it could be the 3DS successor, until then, no.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Wii didnt launch with a Mario title either, so 2 of their last 3 home consoles didnt have Mario at launch. 3DS didnt have Mario at launch so 2 out of 3 of their last systems in general didnt have Mario.

Agreed on accessories, they are more expensive than most expected. I think $40 for a Joy-Con, $60 for a pair, $60 for the Dock, $60 for a Pro Controller would be acceptable pricing.

Overall I agree and am not a fan of the paid online and certain aspects needing a phone is very odd.

Again, the general concept of a minigame compilation to show off various features was expected and always likely to happen. I'm not defending the game, just saying its existence is in no way a big surprise.

Again, I said based on what we currently know, things going on behind the scenes and future announcements can change everything. I simply said based on the things we currently know, it appears as though Nintendo's internal teams & subsidiaries are primarily working on Switch while 3DS is primarily getting outsourced titles.

Yoshi is by Good-Feel and if i recall correctly Mario Sports is by Namco & Camelot. Ever Oasis is by Grezzo. Some rumors/speculation state Pikmin 3DS is by Arzest but i havent seen anything that confirms that. None of those are internal studios or subsidiaries, they are 3rd party developers that Nintendo outsourced development to. The only currently known 3DS title that is by a Nintendo owned studio is Fire Emblem Echoes. Like I said, that could change but as of now 3DS has one game coming by Nintendo studios while Switch has 7 (Zelda, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey).

You're totally right. Sorry about that. I just mistakenly assumed both the Wii and 3DS had mario launch titles that I never even bothered to check.

Your accessory prices are far more reasonable, but even the dock at $40 considering it's barely more than a USB to HDMI passthrough selling for $60 still feels steep.

To be clear, I'm not surprised at all that Nintendo has a mini-game selection that is launching with the Switch. I'm surprised that game is 1-2 Switch and everything that 1-2 Switch is. I figured it would be something like Wii Sports that was easy to pick up, easy to play, had an incredible amount of polish, was a huge amount of fun at parties, and most importantly, highlighted the console's strongest points. Instead we got Nintendo's version of the shake-weight.

As for your 3DS samples, my bad. I didn't know Nintendo pawned of some of their iconic IPs to third parties as much as they do. I assumed that because Nintendo was publishing it and it was a Nintendo IP, Nintendo was making it. My bad.

Lucas-Rio said:
Soundwave said:

It's not the same.

The DS was reading the GBA game, the Switch can't. The DS could act as a GBA and had its own game, the Switch can't read 3DS games. The Switch is also too big to fit into a pocket and way too expansive.

If they release a Switch mini at 200€, then it could be the 3DS successor, until then, no.

They will eventually. They'll also release a *bigger* model, which I bet will actually become the top selling model and outsell a "pocket model".

People don't need to be able to put their game handhelds into their pocket, most kids will choose an iPad over a 3DS or Vita if you give them a choice.