By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

My bet is that the new Pokemon will release on the 3DS too. The switch is supposed to be a home console.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:

It's not the same.

The DS was reading the GBA game, the Switch can't. The DS could act as a GBA and had its own game, the Switch can't read 3DS games. The Switch is also too big to fit into a pocket and way too expansive.

If they release a Switch mini at 200€, then it could be the 3DS successor, until then, no.

They will eventually. They'll also release a *bigger* model, which I bet will actually become the top selling model and outsell a "pocket model".

People don't need to be able to put their game handhelds into their pocket, most kids will choose an iPad over a 3DS or Vita if you give them a choice. 

An ipad is a tablet, basically a weak computer.

People are buying 3DS because it's cheap, is really a handheld console and has a great library. But the price factor is big. It was flopping at 250 at launch.

If Switch is struggling, if it's not an immediate success, Nintendo will realease a new handheld.

If the 3DS makes Nintendo money still, I say let it live! But have more dual platform games, putting that Fire Emblem game exclusively on 3DS is a bit of a letdown.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:
Acevil said:
So wait, Nintendo supporting a device after all these years is bad?

It is when it comes at the expense of their new system.

Have that to think that Nintendo is right in doing this by building goodwill with their consumers. With how quickly they've dropped support for their last two consoles, they have to show that they'll keep supporting their platforms. Multiplatform with 3DS should be embraced, as it is with PS4/Vita, not something to get angry about.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nah. Warriors is only on New 3DS. It doesn't have the full install base of the original models to lean on. It'll be far inferior on N3DS as well, unlike Hyrule Warriors which had exclusive content on the 3DS version.

Echos is a straightforward remake using the established 3DS assets & engine. It simply wouldn't have been possible to develop a Switch game so quickly.

The progression from early 2017 = 3DS to late 2017 = N3DS / Switch to 2018 = Switch seems pretty straightforward to me. There's a reason they announced Fire Emblem Switch so early.

Around the Network

I'm very confused as to why there would be so many people who are big enough Fire Emblem fans that Warriors being non-exclusive would effect their purchase decision, yet wouldn't buy the Switch when the mainline game comes out...

These games were already announced and in development for the 3DS. You want them to all of a sudden throw out all that time and money to support a device that will have an install base of 2 million at launch?

They're in transition between the 2. Nothing more.

Lucas-Rio said:
Soundwave said:

They will eventually. They'll also release a *bigger* model, which I bet will actually become the top selling model and outsell a "pocket model".

People don't need to be able to put their game handhelds into their pocket, most kids will choose an iPad over a 3DS or Vita if you give them a choice. 

People are buying 3DS because it's cheap, is really a handheld console and has a great library. But the price factor is big. It was flopping at 250 at launch.

If Switch is struggling, if it's not an immediate success, Nintendo will realease a new handheld.

A new handheld ... which will just use the same Tegra X1 chip die shrunk with the Switch games playable on it. 

Nintendo's kinda locked into this now, there's no reason to create a seperate portable with its own chip going forward, eventually they'll be able to die shrink that X1 down to 10nm and it'll run all the Switch games so they can make whatever form factor of it that they want. 

One way or another, this is all you're going to get for the next 4-5 years IMO. 

Even if Switch flops and they want to make a "HDS" or "Game Boy Ultra" or whatever ... they'd still likely use this same chip because it would immediately give that new system a ton of games already to go for it. There's no point in starting from scratch. 

Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:

A new handheld ... which will just use the same Tegra X1 chip die shrunk with the Switch games playable on it. 

Nintendo's kinda locked into this now, there's no reason to create a seperate portable with its own chip going forward, eventually they'll be able to die shrink that X1 down to 10nm and it'll run all the Switch games so they can make whatever form factor of it that they want. 

If the Switch hits Wii U number, then they are going to release a new handheld.

The Switch success is a big doubt at this point due to his high price. Nintendo won't put all his eggs in a single failed basket. 3DS is their safety net for the moment and they ar eprobably prototyping a new handheld just in case.

Lucas-Rio said:
Soundwave said:

If the Switch hits Wii U number, then they are going to release a new handheld.

The Switch success is a big doubt at this point due to his high price.

Even in that scenario, IMO they'd simply just repackage the Switch chip for the next portable. Same thing they did with GameCube to Wii. 

Switch is not going to be expensive forever, those components will come down in price. Tegra X1 + 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM will be cheaper than dirt in 2 years. 

They won't give you a "new" system. You'll just get the same one rebranded in a smaller form factor (due to a die shrink).