By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

vivster said:
Soundwave said:
I don't even think the graphics chip given the realistic constraints of a portable is that bad.

I wish they used a bigger battery so we could get more performance from the chip in portable mode, but 384-400+ GFLOPS is awesome for a portable device.

It's not like Nintendo chose a crappy chip here.

Considering Nintendo's options it actually is a crappy chip. The direct successor of the chip is so much more efficient. You wouldn't have needed a bigger battery to increase times significantly.

We don't even know which chip it is, the Foxconn leaker cited higher clock speed and got a lot of details that would probably be impossible to know otherwise correct. 

He cites a 921 MHz GPU which is 16nm ... so it's possible the Switch chip is something customized around a Pascal Tegra. 

While Eurocom has been correct in the past, it's very possible older dev kits were running a simple stock Tegra X1 until newer kits arrived. 

Around the Network
vivster said:
Soundwave said:
I don't even think the graphics chip given the realistic constraints of a portable is that bad.

I wish they used a bigger battery so we could get more performance from the chip in portable mode, but 384-400+ GFLOPS is awesome for a portable device.

It's not like Nintendo chose a crappy chip here.

Considering Nintendo's options it actually is a crappy chip. The direct successor of the chip is so much more efficient. You wouldn't have needed a bigger battery to increase times significantly.

Maybe price was the issue and I wouldn't be surprised if they use the successor in a revision down the road.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PS4 and XboxOne launch prices - three years ago - was $399 - with no games - right?
And.... Switch is primarly a home console, right? If it was just a handheld as people claim it wouldn´t have spare controllers.
So I agree. All this blabbering about its price is dumb, in my point-of-view.

But still... if it come bundled with a game it would feel much better. And extra controllers could be somewhat cheaper. I see a 3ds/WiiU launch situation here. At some point, Nintendo will need to either lower the price of the system or sell it bundled with a game to make it more interesting to consumers.

I'm totally fine with the price. What the hell do I care about 50 € more or less, I just want to have the damn thing! Especially at launch, I don't think price is ever an issue. I bought the PS4 for 399 € at launch,I would have also bought it for 499 €. I bought the Vita for 249 €. Hell, I would have bought the friggin' PS3 at launch for 599 €, but I was broke as fuck back then. xD

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

What a user on a gaming forum thinks is subjectively expensive =/= what is perceived by the majority of the market to be expensive.

There were actually quite a few PS fans who didn't have any issue with the 599$ PS3 launch price, the vast majority of the market seemed to disagree.

Perceived value is king, actual value or relative value is a near senseless metric in the modern market. Personally, I find the prices of all consoles too high when they launch, simply due to lack of games, technical issues etc. If I wait 1-2 years, I'll get a vastly improved experience in every possible way and for a smaller price at that.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

Just like the rush to critisize it. Specially from the obvious few who have agendas. Tiresome.

Libara said:
KLXVER said:
Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

Just like the rush to critisize it. Specially from the obvious few who have agendas. Tiresome.

True.

Rogerioandrade said:
PS4 and XboxOne launch prices - three years ago - was $399 - with no games - right?
And.... Switch is primarly a home console, right? If it was just a handheld as people claim it wouldn´t have spare controllers.
So I agree. All this blabbering about its price is dumb, in my point-of-view.

But still... if it come bundled with a game it would feel much better. And extra controllers could be somewhat cheaper. I see a 3ds/WiiU launch situation here. At some point, Nintendo will need to either lower the price of the system or sell it bundled with a game to make it more interesting to consumers.

Comparing the Switch's price to launch consoles is fine.

But it should also be compared to the current generation consoles, current prices and current hardware, that's it's current competition.

The Xbox One drew criticism for not only having less power than the Playstation 4, but was also more expensive.
The Switch needs to be held to the same standard, not made an exception... But what happened after the Xbox One recieved all that Criticism? The price got lowered, which was a win for consumers and everyone was happy.
A device launching today that is not only more expensive than the competition but has less hardware capability isn't going to sit well with allot of people.

And during the Holiday season you could have bought almost two Xbox One's for the price of a single Switch here in Australia. - How is that "value" or acceptable for the Switch? It simply isn't.

The Switch's price may place it out of reach from Nintendo's traditional "younger" demographics that buy up the 3DS, parent's may not feel inclined to spend such an exhorbant price. (Especially if they have 3+ children to buy one each for.)

Mummelmann said:

Perceived value is king, actual value or relative value is a near senseless metric in the modern market. Personally, I find the prices of all consoles too high when they launch, simply due to lack of games, technical issues etc. If I wait 1-2 years, I'll get a vastly improved experience in every possible way and for a smaller price at that.

And likely revised hardware (Slim) with lower power consumption, less heat, more reliability, smaller form factor, possibly more performance and extra features for the same price or less.

I actually look forward to Nintendo's revision of the Switch in a year or two's time, Nintendo does have allot of room for improvement and room for movement to make those improvements, so call me interested.
But as it stands right now, I am voting with my wallet and not buying the Switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Like I always say: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Zr08fFuToJA

I mean, I'm far from rich. Compared to the Vita and 3DS, it's reasonable. Compared to what I paid for the WiiU, Xbox One, and PS4, it's not bad. Hell, yesterday I just bought a $100 SD card for my $700 phone. What do people want? 

vivster said:
onionberry said:

no, just the price of the console in the united states.

Launch games are... just zelda

accessories are expensive as fuck

splatoon 2 looks like splatoon 1.5

mario kart switch should have more tracks

I agree

I could've sworn that the value of a product is subjective. But since you proved without a doubt that people's opinion is wrong and that your view of value is the only correct one I guess there is nothing we can do.

I'm not talking about the sentimental value, I'm talking about costs. The switch costs 300 because is giving you a different value than the ps4. Not about how people feel about the switch, I'm talking about the actual device. it's easy to understand really.