By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

Ok after a few days of reading threads and opinions... this is my opinion.

My complain against complainers... 

"the price is too expensive" that opinion is ridiculous, I mean, before the $249.99 rumor a few weeks ago, people WERE expecting a $299.99 price tag because it's logical for a handheld with that power and for nintendo to make a few bucks. People got excited with the rumor and now $299 is too expensive? wtf.... you bought a 3ds for $200!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a 3ds for $200 and the 3ds is lovely but the 3ds is old tech, like really old compared to the switch. Which is not old at all, it's low cost current tech.

"the ps4 and the xbox one are $299 and more powerful, so the switch should not cost the same" another ridiculous opinion.

If that's the value that you're looking for then ok, the ps4 and xbox one are good, power is good for consoles. But Nintendo is giving you a different value, portability and and different play styles out of the box, with the option of home console gaming and portable gaming. It's not what you want? you already have the "powerful home console" option. The switch? we don't have that option. 

And don't talk about the shield please, if you buy a shield for portable gaming that's a joke. I mean, it's cool if you have a pc with a Nvidia gpu, but I'm talking about the bigger picture and not about a niche audience. Mention another device like the switch for mass appeal, please. Are you really going to buy a shield?.....

If you think the value of a console = power, that's not how it works. That's why my gaming laptop is more expensive and less powerful than my desktop, and that's why the xbox with kinect was more expensive than the ps4 even when the ps4 was more powerful. whether you want that value or not, then that's up to you.

BTW, my opinion is based on the $299 price tag, not about other regions cause I don't know how money and taxes work in some places. And yes, I think the accessories are a bit expensive.

say what you need to say!

Around the Network

Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

"Expensive" is relative to the person. You may think its an appropiate price for the product and thats all fine and well, for me it isnt considering the competition will be $199 by the end of the year. It doesn't matter if people thought its gonna cost X or Y. Thats irrelevant for the discussion. And the value of portability is absolutely relative. So, yeah, opinions.

I think it has room for a price cut, but Nintendo is trying to bank on us as long as they can. It's not the most expensive hardware ever released, obviously, but I expected it to be cheaper. Hell, I'd probably have to sell my 3DS to buy it, that wasn't planned at all XD.

I agree with you. I pre-ordered mine at 399$ here in Canada and can't wait.  I've also got the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S but Nintendo is Nintendo and you can't play their games on these other consoles.  They need to get with the times however when it comes to online gaming, e-shop ect...

Cheers

"Yes sir, I need a weapon."

Jay W

Around the Network

The biggest problem with the 299,99 price tag on Switch is that if you're only going to pay that, you're gonna have a lot of fun staring at the screen because you refused to shell out more cash for a game.

I think it is a great price for being that powerful of a handheld that can also seemlessly connect to the tv.

Ka-pi96 said:
onionberry said:

If you think the value of a console = power, that's not how it works.

Actually, that`s exactly how it works. Value is an opinion and if in some people`s opinion power = value then that`s perfectly fine, nothing at all `ridiculous` about that.

You value different things to other people? That`s fine, it doesn`t make those other people wrong though.

apple should've been much cheaper then... but nope it is not... and people still buy it... not for power

A lot of people who are upset seemed to have believed all the rumors as fact. I remember, like you, when people were mostly expecting 299 and hoping for 250. Then when the 250 rumors hit, people started expecting 250 and hoping for 200.

Ka-pi96 said:
onionberry said:

If you think the value of a console = power, that's not how it works.

Actually, that`s exactly how it works. Value is an opinion and if in some people`s opinion power = value then that`s perfectly fine, nothing at all `ridiculous` about that.

You value different things to other people? That`s fine, it doesn`t make those other people wrong though.

you clearly don't understand what I'm saying, people are saying the switch should not cost that because is not as powerful. They are talking about a chip because that's what they want, while the switch gives you other type of value that cost money to manufacture, like the joycons with all the fancy tech and the portability. If they think the switch should not have all the other stuff and should be a powerful handheld and that's it then that's a valid opinion.