By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

Lol... I knew it was you and what you were doing before I even opened the thread.

Around the Network

I don't think $299 is expensive for the Switch, but I do think (and maybe many agree with me here) that $299 is on the higher end of an acceptable range for the system. Those who think it's wholly too expensive might be saying that because they either live in Europe (where it's not an equivalent price) or they don't really understand the system too well.

However, in the end, what the costs are for Nintendo and what the actual value of the system are and how people perceive it will not align all the time, and probably not even most of the time. I think once the system is out there and been in the market for a while, we'll get a better feel for it.

KLXVER said:
Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

so we can have hundreds of thread of people talking crap but if I make ONE thread about why I think that ONE opinion is not valid then I'm defending the switch?  use your brain man. 

It's not too expensive. But the adoption rate needs to be Ridiculous to gain 3rd party support. A $250 price tag was the sweet spot. Nintendo should have done everything in it's power to hit that. Even if it meant selling it without the dock. Most people would have bought the dock and they would recoup the costs.

onionberry said:
KLXVER said:
Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

so we can have hundreds of thread of people talking crap but if I make ONE thread about why I think that ONE opinion is not valid then I'm defending the switch?  use your brain man. 

Theres been several threads defending it. Some think its expensive and some think its great. Youre not going to change anyones mind.

Around the Network
Wright said:

The biggest problem with the 299,99 price tag on Switch is that if you're only going to pay that, you're gonna have a lot of fun staring at the screen because you refused to shell out more cash for a game.

of course, 12 switch should be a bundled game or that bomberman game, I agree with that. But let's be honest, if you buy a switch day one and you don't buy breath of the willd

I'm torn. The device looks great and the tech seems great considering how small it is. I'm sure it took some great technical know-how to shrink a WiiU+ into such a small device so I'm very nearly willing to pay $300. Still, $250 and I would be all over this...

I'm biting my knuckle.

KLXVER said:
onionberry said:

Theres been several threads defending it. Some think its expensive and some think its great. Youre not going to change anyones mind.

And I don't want to change your mind, it's a thread with an opinion. If you have a problem with that you should stop visiting forums, because this is a forum.

"a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Forum.

I think over the longer term, a $300 price point (with no game) keeps it out of a big chunk of the 3DS audience and a lot of kids, so Nintendo is not going to be able to sell it at that price for a long time. $60 games as well, it's a pricey item, I'm not sure how big the audience for people who are looking to play PS3/360/Wii U tier games on the go is.

We'll find out I guess.

Bandorr said:

There are several issues with that.

Switch is too expensive covers many things.

• $300 handheld.
  • It comes with no game.
  • It requires you to to pay for online with little return.
  • The accessories are insanely expensive.
  • The games are $60.

You can't keep arguing "it is a handheld, it is a handheld" while ignoring that this handheld is the most expensive handheld, and the games are priced 50% more than the average handheld.

Plus you can't argue portability vs power. When games run on power. RDR2 needs power, not portability.

I don't entirely agree with that idea you're presenting.  Portability is a factor in price, if it weren't then laptops wouldn't be able to charge more for less power.  It's more of the perceived value of that portability.  Just because some people perceive values just based on power doesn't mean they are right in any way.

While I agree that other things about the Switch can make the $300 price tag seem even steeper, the point of this thread is that the hardware itself (separate from prices of other things) isn't too expensive.