By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

barneystinson69 said:
Hynad said:

The PS4 and XBO aren't powerful portable devices with screens

The Vita still sells for 200 bucks. It's old tech. The Switch is 300, and is much more powerful than the Vita, has a bigger screen, and more advanced tech around as well. 

You can't compare everything based only on the CPU and GPU specs. There is a lot more to take into account than that. Portability being one. 

And whats your point? Nintendo said this was a "home console".  http://nintendotoday.com/reggie-nx-home-console/

Yeah, and it's also portable. Or haven't you watched the presentation and reveal trailer?

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
monocle_layton said:

Couldn't we then criticize XB1 for being the same price as PS4 (even though it's weaker)?

I get if the Switch was $400 or something, but the constant questioning of pricing seems a bit off. The Vita is significantly weaker and still goes for $200, so by handheld standards I don't think $300 is necessarily bad.

Again though, it's up to everyone. Each console has a good justification for their price. PS4 is a great gaming device, XB1 is like an all-in-one device for your living room, and the Switch will provide actual games on the go in HD (screw mobile). 

Personally, I own the XB1S and can't wait to get the PS4 and Switch. I'm still catching up on gen 7 though. 

We're talking about 1/3 of the power of the XB1, not 50% weaker. There are other reasons to owning a console of course, but the XB1 isn't significantly weaker than the PS4. That doesn't apply to the Switch.

50% weaker is significantly weaker.

But power isn't the only aspects by which to assign value to something.

Otherwise, the Wii wouldn't have been the hit it's been. 

Hynad said:
barneystinson69 said:

And whats your point? Nintendo said this was a "home console".  http://nintendotoday.com/reggie-nx-home-console/

Yeah, and it's also portable. Or haven't you watched the presentation and reveal trailer?

Of course I have. It just makes your case worse, as the 3DS absolutely flopped at $250, and need an $80 price cut in order to save itself. I can't imagine what the Switch will face at $300.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
Hynad said:

Of course I have. It just makes your case worse, as the 3DS absolutely flopped at $250, and need an $80 price cut in order to save itself. I can't imagine what the Switch will face at $300.

It doesn't make my case worse. The console is portable and a home console. It does both. What more, it doesn't cost the price of a Wii U + 3DS combo, yet does both with more power. It does what the Vita does, with much more power as well. It may not on par in graphics power with the PS4 or XBO, but let's not pretend like you don't already have a XBO for that need.

Trouble is it's not just the base unit price.

Switch also has expensive accessories with asymmetric use cases. You want to play a fighting game? You need $70 pro controllers. You want to play ARMS multi-player? You probably want to get a 2nd set of Joy cons $80 and if you want to charge them separately ur use in gamepad mode, +$30.

Then there's the games. This seems to be more an issue in other regions, but in UK Nintendo announced game prices at 60 GBP for Zelda, when the Wii U version is 40 GBP. (Amazon seems to have the Switch version at 50 GBP now so maybe they already dropped the price).  Wether you're coming from Wii U or 3DS gaming, there's going to be some sicker shock.

Other games, 1-2-Switch 40 GBP. Skyrim port 60 GBP. You're joking Nintendo.  Compare the value proposition to 44 GBP for Horizon on PS4.

And if you don't think $300 is a big deal then check how 3DS sold before it got a profit busting price cut from $250 to $180 within 6 months.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Hynad said:
barneystinson69 said:

It doesn't make my case worse. The console is portable and a home console. It does both. What more, it doesn't cost the price of a Wii U + 3DS combo, yet does both with more power. It does what the Vita does, with much more power as well. It may not on par in graphics power with the PS4 or XBO, but let's not pretend like you don't already have a XBO for that need.

The Switch is more comparible to the Wii U than the XB1 or PS4, yet is a 9th gen console. That doesn't exactly make its prospects good.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
Hynad said:

The Switch is more comparible to the Wii U than the XB1 or PS4, yet is a 9th gen console. That doesn't exactly make its prospects good.

And the Wii was more comparable to the GameCube than the PS3 and XBox 360. Remember how that went?

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo will succeed in recreating the crazyness that the Wii was. But the point is that power isn't the only aspect that justifies a product's value. 

m_csquare said:
Forget xb1 and ps4 cos you seem to have no idea what else those consoles are offering besides power.
First, Why dont you convince wiiu users that switch is worth 300$?

yeah I know what those consoles are offering cause I have a ps4 pro and a PC. And Soon a switch, and I'm smart enough to know the value of each device that I own. But, I'm not dumb enough to think that because a device is less powerful than other device that means it should be cheaper, cause the development cost is being invested in other characteritics. And I don't need to convice anyone, just throwing my point of view to debate with the contrary point of view, pretty normal for a forum.

Hynad said:
barneystinson69 said:

And the Wii was more comparable to the GameCube than the PS3 and XBox 360. Remember how that went?

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo will succeed in recreating the crazyness that the Wii was. But the point is that power isn't the only aspect that justifies a product's value. 

Right, and the Wii U also went for a casual audience, and failed. I'm sure the Switch will end up like another Wii though, I mean they charge $50 for a set of minigames anyway...

barneystinson69 said:
Hynad said:

Right, and the Wii U also went for a casual audience, and failed. I'm sure the Switch will end up like another Wii though, I mean they charge $50 for a set of minigames anyway...

Have you ever considered buying a Switch, at any point in time?