By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

MDMAlliance said:
Hynad said:

D-Pads have a curve that starts from the center, where it's at its deepest, and it progressively get thicker as you get to the edges of the individual directions. Making it easier for your thumb to switch from one direction to an other. Regulra individual buttons simply don't allow the same kind of smooth transition.

Umm, but was the original d-pad like that?  I might be remembering incorrectly, but i think d-pads in that era (for Nintendo at least) were just in a + shape without any shape or size differences for any of the 4 directions.  

That also doesn't seem to change that they could be used as a d-pad, and seems like it's intended to be (despite it not being the optimal kind).

They were probably flatter back then. I can't remember. But the buttons on the Joy-Con will indeed serve this purpose for some games, but they're really not a good replacement for a proper D-Pad. 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
MDMAlliance said:

Umm, but was the original d-pad like that?  I might be remembering incorrectly, but i think d-pads in that era (for Nintendo at least) were just in a + shape without any shape or size differences for any of the 4 directions.  

That also doesn't seem to change that they could be used as a d-pad, and seems like it's intended to be (despite it not being the optimal kind).

They were probably fatter back then. I can't remember. But the buttons on the Joy-Con will indeed serve this purpose for some games, but they're really not a good replacement for a proper D-Pad. 

Probably not a good replacement, but I feel like we can still say it functionally still has one.  So we don't actually HAVE to get a pro controller for the VC.

MDMAlliance said:
Hynad said:

They were probably fatter back then. I can't remember. But the buttons on the Joy-Con will indeed serve this purpose for some games, but they're really not a good replacement for a proper D-Pad. 

Probably not a good replacement, but I feel like we can still say it functionally still has one.  So we don't actually HAVE to get a pro controller for the VC.

Nah, you don't HAVE to get a Pro controller. But let's just say that games like Ultra Mega Super Uber Street Fighter II HD Turbo Remix Power Nine Thousand Mark II Definitive Edition Version 2.02: The Final Chalengers will be difficult to play without one.

Hynad said:
MDMAlliance said:

Nah, you don't HAVE to get a Pro controller. But let's just say that games like Ultra Mega Super Uber Street Fighter II HD Turbo Remix Power Nine Thousand Mark II Definitive Edition Version 3.0 will be difficult to play without one.

Ehh, but it's not like there are many other games that demand it.  Of course, it would be better if you didn't but it's understandable (to me) why the joycon is designed that way.  I don't think a proper d-pad makes for good face-buttons. 

Hynad said:
MDMAlliance said:

Yeah, I can actually relate to having had that problem before.  Was a long time ago, though and I don't remember which controller I was using.  

However, that set up doesn't necessarily explain how the Switch joy-cons can't functionally work as a D-Pad for VC games, or for most games that aren't fighting games.  I mean, while it's not all connected like nearly all other d-pads, it DOES have directions on the buttons.  I also don't think it's the same as the N64's c buttons because of the positioning, which is much easier to reach AND is on the left side and not the right.  

Sooo am I missing something that d-pads have to universally be one connected 4-directional pad?

D-Pads have a curve that starts from the center, where it's at its deepest, and gets progressively thicker as you get to the edges of the individual directions. Making it easier for your thumb to switch from one direction to an other. Regular individual buttons simply don't allow for the same kind of smooth transition.

Using buttons for directions have their own advantages too. Wich is why the Hitbox was so controversial in a certain popular fighting game (you could move forward and block at the same time in MvC3 XD).

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
onionberry said:

"the price is too expensive" that opinion is ridiculous, I mean, before the $249.99 rumor a few weeks ago, people WERE expecting a $299.99 price tag because it's logical for a handheld with that power and for nintendo to make a few bucks. People got excited with the rumor and now $299 is too expensive? wtf.... you bought a 3ds for $200!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a 3ds for $200 and the 3ds is lovely but the 3ds is old tech, like really old compared to the switch. Which is not old at all, it's low cost current tech.

Price is a contentious point. Regardless of power you need to hit a certain expected price bracket to appease consumers.

Sony failed in that aspect with the Playstation 3, having more power and more features but a higher corrosponding price resulted in less hardware units being moved and they were ridiculed for that.

And the Xbox One, having a higher than expected price and weaker hardware also drew it's fair share of criticism.

So why should Nintendo be immune to such pricing criticism? The real answer is: They shouldn't.
 - Criticism is a good thing and hopefully Nintendo takes notice and drops the price, then the consumer wins. Do you want the consumer to win? Of course you do. You are a consumer, you want all consumers to win. So stop being apologetic, these are companies remember, not your best friend.

aikohualda said:

apple should've been much cheaper then... but nope it is not... and people still buy it... not for power

Apple is different. They sell themselves on brand image alone. - And thus they can get away with stupidly high profit margins on all of their devices.
Nintendo doesn't have that same brand image.
You would be kidding yourself if you thought Apple controled a majority of any market though. They don't.

KLAMarine said:

I'm torn. The device looks great and the tech seems great considering how small it is. I'm sure it took some great technical know-how to shrink a WiiU+ into such a small device so I'm very nearly willing to pay $300. Still, $250 and I would be all over this...

I'm biting my knuckle.

There is your problem.
You think it's just a shrunken "WiiU+". It's not. And Nintendo actually did nothing to achieve such a feat.

Ka-pi96 said:

What`s wrong with them wanting that though?

You say stuff like the joycons and portability add value, but while they may to you that doesn`t hold true for everyone. I`m personally hoping for a future joycon-less version simply because they and the portability adds no value whatsoever to me. I don`t particularly care about power either, but regardless the price is higher than I`d like and the reason for that is parts/features that I have no interest in.

I would jump on a "Switch" without the Joycons, Screen, Battery, Dock for a low price.
No reason why Nintendo can't do it, I have no interest in portability.

curl-6 said:

The Shield TV has the same chipset and costs $200 USD. There's no way a 6 inch 720p screen and the joycons cost $100, so the Switch is overpriced.

Keep in mind nVidia still made a profit from that.

Hynad said:

It's the same on every PS consoles.

It work really well for fighting games, like Street Fighter, for example. Being separated makes it much easier to make the intended thumb motion without pressing a diagonal when you don't mean to. Like it happens with "round" D-Pads like what's found on older XBox consoles and most PC controllers.

For some reason I have never enjoyed *any* D-Pad since the SNES. I don't even like the SNES clone controller D-Pads for PC.
Playstation, Xbox, Successive Nintendo controllers, various PC controllers. Never liked any of them, which in turn has impacted my ability to enjoy fighting games. :(
The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 had probably the worst D-Pads though. They were disgusting, Microsoft fixed allot of what was wrong with the Xbox One's D-Pad though, but I still don't enjoy it.
I would like an Xbox One controller that swaps the left Joy Stick with the D-Pad around, that might help.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

KLXVER said:
Now the rush to defend the Switch is just getting tiresome...

The constant chatter of Switch is tiring enough.

Either you like it or not. I never understood the appeal to debating about consoles. Who actually cares? If someone wants to buy ten switches and play Pokemon by themselves, they can go ahead. If someone wants to avoid giving a certain company any sort of money, they're free to do so as well. 

The nonstop debates really shows why casuals avoid going to hardcore gamers. It isn't fun seeing people come up and do their best to please their overlords. They're defending gaming companies that run differently- there's no need for all the ruckus and time wasted. Just play the damn games you want and move on. 

Personally, I'm not sure what is worse- the NX rumour threads, of the Pro/anti-switch threads which repeat everything people already know (which just stretches the argument)

No people were excpting the 299 pricetag when it was rumored to be released in 2016. Alot of things changed during this time including price drops for the PS4..

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

It's the same on every PS consoles.

It work really well for fighting games, like Street Fighter, for example. Being separated makes it much easier to make the intended thumb motion without pressing a diagonal when you don't mean to. Like it happens with "round" D-Pads like what's found on older XBox consoles and most PC controllers.

For some reason I have never enjoyed *any* D-Pad since the SNES. I don't even like the SNES clone controller D-Pads for PC.
Playstation, Xbox, Successive Nintendo controllers, various PC controllers. Never liked any of them, which in turn has impacted my ability to enjoy fighting games. :(
The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 had probably the worst D-Pads though. They were disgusting, Microsoft fixed allot of what was wrong with the Xbox One's D-Pad though, but I still don't enjoy it.
I would like an Xbox One controller that swaps the left Joy Stick with the D-Pad around, that might help.

Why? What's wrong with D-Pads?

Of course, the real way to play a fighting game is with a proper arcade fighting stick. But the good ones are almost as expensive as a console. :(

The PS4 and XB1 are both 299 (in fact, the XB1 is actually on sale for 279 right now). You can't possibly tell me the HW inside the Switch is worth as much as either of the former two consoles.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).